Victoria auto mechanic recommendations

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#81 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,647 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 02:08 PM

Also their transmissions are well known to "have issues" at any point once you get to that mileage. Happened to my last Explorer and the same is occurring now, i.e. the bands start slipping and you have to decide whether the expense of fixing it - $2500 for a rebuild or $3K for a new tranny - is really worth it.

Having had mine rebuilt three years ago, the cost with labour is closer to $4,500 all-in, particularly if the removal of the tranny coincides with a few other knick-knacks that need to be fixed/addressed.

My transmission was redone at just a hair below 200k. It could have lasted longer but the potential for having it die while plowing down an American highway far from home was not a risk I wanted to take.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#82 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,858 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 18 November 2018 - 02:14 PM

Having had mine rebuilt three years ago, the cost with labour is closer to $4,500 all-in, particularly if the removal of the tranny coincides with a few other knick-knacks that need to be fixed/addressed.

My transmission was redone at just a hair below 200k. It could have lasted longer but the potential for having it die while plowing down an American highway far from home was not a risk I wanted to take.

Yup, my last one died on the Island Hwy a few clicks south of Nanaimo Airport late on a Sunday afternoon coming back from a family weekend in Whistler. At least it got me to the island. Had to call my dad who gamely charged up island from Victoria and managed to stuff the 4 of us and our bags and suitcases into his Subaru Outback, lol..... 

#83 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,647 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 02:16 PM

What happened when it went kaput?

My friend said when the tranny on his F150 crapped out the truck came to a screeching halt on a highway and he nearly caused an accident. Yikes.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#84 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,858 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 18 November 2018 - 02:23 PM

Just died a slow, gradually no ability to accelerate or move, period. Fortunately I could feel it going and pulled over safely well off the highway. Good thing our cell phones were charged, heh. Cost at Bullfrog for a rebuild was $2700. Ninety day guarantee; it held up until I finally got rid of the truck three years later.

#85 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 12,708 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 02:58 PM

Going to plug Parkside Motor in Rock Bay. It is an awesome place and completely honest. Highly recommend them.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#86 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,858 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 02 March 2019 - 11:38 AM

Going to plug Parkside Motor in Rock Bay. It is an awesome place and completely honest. Highly recommend them.

I've asked around and received a couple more thumb's up testimonials for these guys so going to give them a shot, as the latest auto mechanical fun and games is a shot thermostat, again on the Ford Ranger/Edge. The trials and tribulations of owning a 14 year old vehicle, heh....

I've tried Gorge Auto in the past and Dunsmuir Automotive, they were alright but nothing special. Back in the day when I had my prized '82 280ZX I used Searle's; hopefully Parkside works out since they're literally just across the water from us.....

Edited by AllseeingEye, 02 March 2019 - 11:42 AM.

#87 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 12,708 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 06:34 PM

How did it go?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#88 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,858 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 25 March 2019 - 06:43 PM

Sadly I haven't engaged with them yet but I will: I spent (actually I was voluntold by She who must be Obeyed) to spend more than the original budget on some home renos including new carpets, interior paint, new furniture, TV etc., - so the Exploder is temporarily parked until the middle or end of April.

The insurance expires at the end of this month so I'll have to renew that first, then boost the battery and go from there but I'll definitely post on the experience, good, bad or indifferent.

#89 lanforod

lanforod
  • 7,101 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 25 March 2019 - 07:53 PM

Sadly I haven't engaged with them yet but I will: I spent (actually I was voluntold by She who must be Obeyed) to spend more than the original budget on some home renos including new carpets, interior paint, new furniture, TV etc., - so the Exploder is temporarily parked until the middle or end of April.

The insurance expires at the end of this month so I'll have to renew that first, then boost the battery and go from there but I'll definitely post on the experience, good, bad or indifferent.

Is this a Freudian slip or deliberate? :)

• AllseeingEye likes this

#90 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,858 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 25 March 2019 - 08:08 PM

Is this a Freudian slip or deliberate? :)

Oh very deliberate....ask RJAG or any other current or ex-Ford SUV owner. Reliable as hell with lots of capacity, but at a certain point the 'Splorer becomes the "Sploder, almost always starting with the transmission.... :)

• rjag likes this

#91 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 09:20 PM

I know a great transmission shop downtown. The person who does their HR and payroll is awesome! :)

Matt.

#92 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,647 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 03:52 AM

Oh boy. Do not get me started on that transmission shop downtown.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#93 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 4,019 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 07:20 AM

hopefully Parkside works out since they're literally just across the water from us.....

do you have an aquatic car? or going to barge it over?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 March 2019 - 07:20 AM.

#94 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,176 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 26 March 2019 - 07:25 AM

I highly recommend Jade Automotive on Ellery Street, formerly of Pembroke Street.  He's seriously the last honest mechanic.  I've been going to him for about fifteen years.

#95 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 4,019 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 07:30 AM

^ oh ya he’s a good guy. he won’t sell you something if you ask him “can I get away another year without” etc.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 March 2019 - 07:46 AM.

• Bob Fugger likes this

#96 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,647 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 07:42 AM

Ditto for Murray's (OK Tire) on Alpha Street. Those guys are great, brutally honest, no-bs.

The place I think Matt is referring to left me with problems that Murray's had to fix. Read on for more:

I have the truck up on a hoist getting some rear end work done. The mechanic takes out the tranny plate and says there are shavings, so we need to rebuild the tranny. Ugh, ok, I say.

Half an hour later I call back and say hold up, just let me think about it over the weekend. Well, come Monday morning when I step in to the shop to check out the existing work, I find my transmission already on the operating room floor. When I said I directed them to not proceed until I gave the go-ahead, the mechanic claimed he had not received the directive and that it was too late to go back. I was none too happy.

When everything was finally said and done, the brakes they installed were not machined and vibrated when slowing down (I ultimately found that out after taking the rig to Murray's since the transmission shop wouldn't entertain an investigation into what was going on ...at all). The transmission shop claimed my wheels were pitted and needed to be replaced (absolute nonsense), and that that was causing the vibration during braking.

Know it all.

#97 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,858 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 26 March 2019 - 05:08 PM

/\     Thanks for the suggestions gents I'll take them under advisement whenever Mrs ASE gives me sufficient allowance to pay for the work. I was unaware of either Jade Automotive or Murray's so I'll kick some tires pardon the pun then make some decisions.

#98 LJ

LJ
  • 8,927 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 07:57 PM

Anyone tried the BCAA auto service center on Bay st?

If you're an auto club member you get a discount and presumably you could complain to BCAA if the work was shoddy.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#99 lanforod

lanforod
  • 7,101 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 May 2019 - 08:52 PM

Not for a service but I did a vehicle inspection there last year and was happy with the work they did.
  • LJ likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users