Victoria auto mechanic recommendations

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#81 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 46,564 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 02:08 PM

Also their transmissions are well known to "have issues" at any point once you get to that mileage. Happened to my last Explorer and the same is occurring now, i.e. the bands start slipping and you have to decide whether the expense of fixing it - $2500 for a rebuild or $3K for a new tranny - is really worth it.

Having had mine rebuilt three years ago, the cost with labour is closer to $4,500 all-in, particularly if the removal of the tranny coincides with a few other knick-knacks that need to be fixed/addressed.

My transmission was redone at just a hair below 200k. It could have lasted longer but the potential for having it die while plowing down an American highway far from home was not a risk I wanted to take.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#82 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,658 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 18 November 2018 - 02:14 PM

Having had mine rebuilt three years ago, the cost with labour is closer to $4,500 all-in, particularly if the removal of the tranny coincides with a few other knick-knacks that need to be fixed/addressed.

My transmission was redone at just a hair below 200k. It could have lasted longer but the potential for having it die while plowing down an American highway far from home was not a risk I wanted to take.

Yup, my last one died on the Island Hwy a few clicks south of Nanaimo Airport late on a Sunday afternoon coming back from a family weekend in Whistler. At least it got me to the island. Had to call my dad who gamely charged up island from Victoria and managed to stuff the 4 of us and our bags and suitcases into his Subaru Outback, lol..... 

#83 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 46,564 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 02:16 PM

What happened when it went kaput?

My friend said when the tranny on his F150 crapped out the truck came to a screeching halt on a highway and he nearly caused an accident. Yikes.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#84 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,658 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 18 November 2018 - 02:23 PM

Just died a slow, gradually no ability to accelerate or move, period. Fortunately I could feel it going and pulled over safely well off the highway. Good thing our cell phones were charged, heh. Cost at Bullfrog for a rebuild was $2700. Ninety day guarantee; it held up until I finally got rid of the truck three years later.

#85 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 12,538 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 02:58 PM

Going to plug Parkside Motor in Rock Bay. It is an awesome place and completely honest. Highly recommend them.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#86 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,658 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 02 March 2019 - 11:38 AM

Going to plug Parkside Motor in Rock Bay. It is an awesome place and completely honest. Highly recommend them.

I've asked around and received a couple more thumb's up testimonials for these guys so going to give them a shot, as the latest auto mechanical fun and games is a shot thermostat, again on the Ford Ranger/Edge. The trials and tribulations of owning a 14 year old vehicle, heh....

I've tried Gorge Auto in the past and Dunsmuir Automotive, they were alright but nothing special. Back in the day when I had my prized '82 280ZX I used Searle's; hopefully Parkside works out since they're literally just across the water from us.....

Edited by AllseeingEye, 02 March 2019 - 11:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users