Photo

Who remembers Pizza Pieman in the 90s and early 00s?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 petal.zin

petal.zin
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:15 PM

It looks like they have reopened on the mainland in Burnaby.

Link here:
http://www.urbanspoo...-Pieman-Burnaby

#2 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:16 PM

Don't think that it is the same people

#3 mysage

mysage
  • 515 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:22 PM

Don't think that it is the same people

Hi had heard that there was a Pizza Pieman coming to Colwood this year. Anyone else hear that rumour?

#4 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:42 PM

The Pizza Pieman was owned by Bob Darnell and his first shop was in the Town and Country shopping centre in the late 60's. Great guy with a lot of vision. He had quite an empire of shops for a while until he over extended his finances.

He ended up working for the Development bank that financed his operations.

I always wondered what the situation was with the shop on Tillicum that sported his logo long after he filed for bankruptcy.

#5 pikabu

pikabu
  • 107 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:23 PM

I have fond memories of the Pizza Pieman in the Oak Bay Village (in the 60's and 70's).

My favourite was ham, pineapple and shrimp!

I believe their location is where Cobs is now.

#6 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:19 PM

I worked at the one in Oak Bay for awhile in the 90s. All I can say is sorry :(

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#7 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:52 PM

I remember it as a popular local chain with quite upscale sit-down dining. Some restaurants in the late 70s were almost as nice looking as the Keg, not like the bleak take-out counters of G-Man's era.

One branch was downstairs in the James Bay Plaza across from Thrifty Foods. It had a movie projector showing silent films.

It's funny seeing that logo reappear after so many years.

https://www.facebook...260821663983293

What other dormant local chains will pop up in the future? Brownie's Fried Chicken?

I'm sure the 2-for-1 pizza wars of the 80s played a role in their demise.

#8 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:14 PM

^Or another well known local pizza place from days gone by-Gondola.

Like Pikabu said, Pizza Pieman existed long before the '90's. They were our pony league baseball sponsor 30 years ago and they were well-known then.
In chains by Keynes

#9 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:38 PM

^It started in 1966. I wonder how the pies from that era compared to modern pizza?

#10 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 06:45 AM

Where are my manners? Welcome to Vibrant Victoria petal.zin,

#11 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:51 AM

The Pizza Pieman was owned by Bob Darnell and his first shop was in the Town and Country shopping centre in the late 60's. Great guy with a lot of vision.

The shop I worked at would order one from the "pieman" every Friday afternoon and it would come in a rectangular box about 24" long. The pizza was retangular, so no wasted space.

Why not make retangular pizzas today, fill up the box and save a few trees?

#12 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:31 AM

What other dormant local chains will pop up in the future? Brownie's Fried Chicken?

There was one of those on Quadra & McKenzie, where the deDutch is, now. Up the road at Quadra and Union (I think) used to be Chicken on the Run, which went away for a long time and then was reborn as a takeout fried chicken/Chinese takeaway (with self-purported best ginger-fried beef in town).

#13 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:49 AM

I know why the Pizza business took off in the 60's.........we all had the munchies. :)

#14 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:14 AM

Pizza Pieman and Poco Pizza (down by the Six Mile) were the only two pizza choices in the Colwood /Langford area when I was a kid....then we discovered Tom's House of Pizza across from Woolco. It was worth the drive!

#15 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,879 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:23 AM

I remember having pizza pieman at home when I was a kid. It was always seen as a real treat. Remember when a single large pizza and a 750ml bottle of Coke was enough for a family meal? Now everyone needs their own pizza and 2 litre.

Also, a little off topic, but Chicken on the Run has the best fried chicken in town, hands down. The chinese food is pretty good, but the chicken and wedge fries w/ gravy is where it's at. Fast food it ain't. Check it.

Matt.

#16 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:39 AM

I worked for a stint at that (Craigflower) Chicken on the Run back when it was called "Uncle Fred's" and was strictly a chicken shack. I thought it beat KFC, and Brownies all to hell. The wedgies were dredged in the same batter that the chicken was done in and they had some sort of pressure-cooker deep-fryer that only took four or five minutes a load...deee-lish.

#17 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:30 AM

^We used to call it Chicken with the Runs but the Craigflower location was the only one i've ever known. There also used to be a drive-in restaurant at Quadra and Union called "Brite Spot" that was, like any good restaurant, dome-shaped. I believe it was the last drive-in restaurant in Victoria not named A&W.

Also, the only Tom's House of Pizza I ever knew was the one in the Shelbourne Plaza in the 1980's where Squeeky's laundromat is now. So there used to be another at the Town and Country Mall?

The pizza was retangular, so no wasted space. Why not make retangular pizzas today, fill up the box and save a few trees?

Little Caesar's used to make square pies. I don't know why they stopped.
In chains by Keynes

#18 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:42 AM

There also used to be a drive-in restaurant at Quadra and Union called "Brite Spot" that was, like any good restaurant, dome-shaped.

I seem to recall that the dome was one freestanding piece of aluminum fabricated in Victoria. I think it was sold to a home owner on Saltspring who had it helicoptered from the Quadra site.

#19 Langford Rat

Langford Rat
  • 405 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:42 AM

[QUOTE=Phil McAvity;176041
Also, the only Tom's House of Pizza I ever knew was the one in the Shelbourne Plaza in the 1980's where Squeeky's laundromat is now. So there used to be another at the Town and Country Mall?
[/QUOTE]

Not in the T&C Mall...on the other side of Douglas in that little strip mall between Boleskine and Culduthel

#20 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:49 AM

^We used to call it Chicken with the Runs but the Craigflower location was the only one i've ever known.

Getting a bit off topic, but the original Chicken on the Run was just that.

They had a big Van with the deep fryers in the back. They would pull up to your house and cook the chicken in your driveway.

Piping hot and very tasty.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users