Canadian oil / gas production and shipping

• Please log in to reply
1754 replies to this topic

#841 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 07:39 AM

Haha! Decades of “peak oil” hysteria has finally materialized into “it’s more of a plentiful resource.”

See, kids, this is why you have to think for yourself a little bit. Big Government loves to scare you into ways of thinking that make you willingly spend more for things like $1.55 for a litre of “plentiful” oil and it’s accompanying carbon taxes, transit taxes, bike lane taxes and blue sky taxes.

Now we wait for gas stations to ease up and readjust to oil below $1 per litre, but I suspect it won’t be long before governments start falling over themselves warning us about rising sea levels then will slap massive carbon taxes on anything that flows out of a hose (for hydro power used to juice up an electric car just doesn’t easily play into the pay-for-sin cash grab that are these [now suddenly non-revenue neutral] taxes).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#842 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 07:49 AM

And 97% of "scientists" probably told us peak oil was coming, too.  What a colossal mistake.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#843 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 07:59 AM

I mean 97% of scientists were wrong about global cooling in the 1960's and 1970's and now the peak oil thing is a little embarrassing, but other than that, they're never wrong.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#844 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:03 AM

Haha! Decades of “peak oil” hysteria has finally materialized into “it’s more of a plentiful resource.”

Yeah 45 years ago we were nearly out.

#845 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:12 AM

I distinctly remember teachers showing us graphs and diagrams related to peak oil. They'd run PBS specials on peak oil and the pending energy crisis. Then upon graduation we say oil prices skyrocketing from $0.35 per litre to $0.80, then $0.90, $1, $1.05 (gasp!) $1.25, $1.63! Peak oil! It was for realz!

Then oil crashed. Supply sharply rose. Alberta elected an NDP government out of fear. And now oil is a "plentiful supply" priced at $0.95 per litre even in Victoria at 2001 dollars (the year I graduated).

Know it all.

#846 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:04 AM

Scientists have admitted recently that sea levels have been declining. See the BC carbon tax is working!

Edited by PraiseKek, 16 October 2017 - 11:05 AM.

• rjag likes this

#847 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:22 AM

A whole whack of penguins just died too, as they could not find the end of the damn ice.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#848 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:38 AM

Well, that’s what we get for believing all day long in nicely marketable theories.

Know it all.

#849 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 09:52 AM

As the City of Burnaby, environmental extremists and the Horgan government continue to try to kill the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion, a nauseating recap of energy project failure in this province has been published. Cancelling these projects is keeping many indigenous people in poverty.

“We were right on the cusp of First Nations in my region being able to look after themselves,” said Ross, who ran and won a Liberal seat in the provincial legislature last May to help get the liquefied natural gas (LNG) industry off the ground.

“We were just starting to turn the tide on that opposition to everything. For the first time, since white contact, we were ready to take our place in B.C. and Canada. Instead, B.C. is not going to exist pretty soon in terms of investment. That is how worried I am.”

http://business.fina...energy-projects

• rjag likes this

#850 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 16 November 2017 - 10:25 AM

As the City of Burnaby, environmental extremists and the Horgan government continue to try to kill the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion, a nauseating recap of energy project failure in this province has been published. Cancelling these projects is keeping many indigenous people in poverty.

http://business.fina...energy-projects

This....

“The more sickening thing for me is that these people who oppose development in Canada truly believe they win when they defeat a project,” Ross said. “Actually, you don’t win. It’s just that the United States buys the Canadian product at a discount and sells it on the international market.”

• jonny likes this

#851 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 08:34 AM

Nebraska OKs long-delayed Keystone XL pipeline
Project passes last big hurdle, as state regulators vote 3-2 in favour, connecting oilsands to U.S. refineries

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...stone-1.4409960

#852 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 12:19 PM

Terminal to use rail to transport propane from Alberta and BC to their facilities.

CALGARY — Pembina Pipeline Corp. (TSX: PPL) says its board of directors has approved construction of an export terminal at Prince Rupert, B.C., to be used to send liquefied Western Canadian propane to markets in Asia and Central America. 

The Calgary-based company says the project on Watson Island is expected to cost about $260 million, up from an estimate of $150 million made last spring, due to minor scope changes, dock maintenance and additional site preparation. Pembina’s facility, which still requires regulatory and environmental approvals, is expected to be in service by mid-2020 and will have a permitted capacity of about 25,000 barrels per day of propane.

Meanwhile, construction is underway on a terminal on Ridley Island near Prince Rupert that was green-lighted early this year by Calgary-based AltaGas Ltd. (TSX:ALA).

The project, which its builder says will be the first propane export terminal on Canada’s West Coast, is expected to cost $475 million and have capacity of 1.2 million tonnes per year when it opens in 2019.

Both facilities are to use rail cars, not pipelines, to transport propane from Alberta and B.C. to their facilities.

https://energeticcit...xport-facility/

#853 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 09:10 AM

http://www.theprovin...1041/story.html

According to the Fraser Institute’s Global Petroleum Survey 2017, oil and gas investor perception of British Columbia has plummeted since the election of an NDP/Green government last May and the province now ranks as the least attractive jurisdiction in Canada, followed by Alberta.

#854 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 11:09 AM

Six U.S. states were ranked in the 10 global jurisdictions – Texas (ranked No. 1), Oklahoma, North Dakota, West Virginia, Kansas and Wyoming.

“The shackles are being taken off the U.S. energy sector, which spells trouble for Canadian jurisdictions trying to attract oil and gas investment dollars.”

After last night's Senate passage of their gigantic tax reform bill you can add Alaska to that list.  Why is that?  Because the bill includes a provision, to get Lisa Murkowski's vote, that will open up the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to oil and gas drilling - something she and her father have wanted for years.

Edited by Gary H, 02 December 2017 - 11:10 AM.

#855 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 06:34 AM

Which is why Steelhead went to Port Alberni and signed a deal with the natives out there, no?

But to suddenly change course and want to locate a plant in Bamberton just seems ...bizarre.

Stranger things have happened, but this plan might be kaput now that the chief has resigned.

Kaput...

The Malahat Nation and Steelhead LNG are no longer exploring the possibility of a liquefied natural gas project in the Saanich Inlet.

Steelhead LNG is continuing to explore its Kwispaa LNG project, formerly known as Sarita LNG, in partnership with the Huu-ay-aht First Nations.

That project is located southwest of Port Alberni.

http://www.timescolo...pped-1.23111355

• Mike K. likes this

#856 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 19 January 2018 - 01:38 PM

Lac Megantic trial - not guilty

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...rdict-1.4474848

#857 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:29 AM

A shortfall of railcars and crews have left shipments of grain and oil marooned on the Canadian Prairies.

"Canada's major railways have been struggling to keep up and the harsh winter weather hasn't helped," said Lynn Jacobson of the Alberta Federation of Agriculture.

The squeeze has also impacted crude oil shipments, and the glut of oil waiting to be moved has forced prices down.

"Canadian producers, whether it's grain, or beef, or cattle, or oil, or natural gas, can't move to market. We are an export nation, we need the means to export it," said Jeff Gaulin of the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers.

Alberta farmer Warren Sekulic said the waits can be devastating for his bottom line.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...berta-1.4538115

#858 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:19 AM

However, Shell – along with partners Korea Gas Corp., PetroChina and Mitsubishi Corp. – is nearing an investment decision for the LNG Canada project in Kitimat, B.C. that could alleviate roughly 10 per cent of that shortfall, exporting as much as 26 tonnes per year.

“There’s going to be a supply gap, but Canada will not make it if our ability to deliver gas to these markets is substantially more expensive,” LNG Canada director, external relations Susannah Pierce said Monday.

LNG Canada is widely considered the one major project in British Columbia that’s most likely to be built, but Pierce said the company is still in discussions with the federal government about anti-dumping tariffs that could jeopardize an investment decision for LNG Canada.

Shell and LNG Canada have asked Ottawa to exempt LNG Canada from paying heavy tariffs for large, pre-fabricated modules that are needed at the LNG plant. Pierce said these modules have never been built in Canada before and the expertise is needed from elsewhere.

Shell and its partners will also need to grapple with new payroll taxes unveiled in British Columbia’s budget as it tries to reduce costs for the facility — which at one point was estimated to cost $40 billion and would be the largest investment in B.C.’s history.

http://business.fina...-the-boat-again

I wonder how we'll bungle this glorious economic opportunity. Will Andrew Weaver tighten the vice around Horgan's nuts, or will the powerful environmental lobby successfully frustrate Shell and its partners into submission? 

• Mike K. likes this

#859 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:51 AM

I wonder how we'll bungle this glorious economic opportunity. Will Andrew Weaver tighten the vice around Horgan's nuts, or will the powerful environmental lobby successfully frustrate Shell and its partners into submission? 

http://www.andrewwea...columbians-lng/

Over the last month there has been a flurry of media interest concerning whether or not British Columbia can meet it’s legislated and promised greenhouse gas reduction targets while simultaneously developing an LNG industry. The short answer is no, it’s impossible. In what follows I outline why this is so. I also outline why this is a defining issue for my continued support of this minority government.

#860 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 11:59 AM

As someone who considers himself an environmentalist, I don't get the opposition to natural gas pipelines and export projects. It produces substantially more energy per unit of polution than other commonly used fuels and a spill is pretty low risk to the environment (being in a gas state at normal temperatures).
  • rjag and jonny like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users