Photo

Canadian oil / gas production and shipping

• Please log in to reply
1754 replies to this topic

#861 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 01:11 PM

Natural gas is very clean. There's no doubt about that.

I consider myself to be an environmentalist and I am pro oil and gas development and export. I figure if the world is going to burn oil and gas (they are), it might as well be our oil and gas.

Eco extremists are not merely environmentalists. They are fanatical, dogmatic, idealists. I don't trust identify politics, which is the game they play. 

Anyway, I bet we do oil and gas exploration and export much more environmentally friendly than 90%+ of the world.

Look, there's no shortcut from our fossil fuel based world to us all driving around in Teslas powered by the sun. It will be a long transition. Why not reap what we can now? That's only common sense.

• Mike K., tedward and Mattjvd like this

#862 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 28 February 2018 - 01:19 PM

Look, there's no shortcut from our fossil fuel based world to us all driving around in Teslas powered by the sun. It will be a long transition. Why not reap what we can now? That's only common sense.

I think part of the problem is that many people forget what we use energy for in the first place. Yes, we pump gasoline into our cars, but we also use fossil fuels to heat buildings, generate electricity, and ship goods around the world by train and plane and boat and truck. Also, rockets. Those nifty Falcon X reusable rockets still run on fossil fuels (despite being the product of physics wizardry... have you seen one of those things land?)

• jonny likes this

#863 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 07:58 PM

NDP in bed with the eco-wackos.....

http://business.fina...-for-government

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#864 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 09:17 PM

Taken down my canadian flag that had been flying for years(although it was temporarily switched to a 150 flag), put up a British Columbia flag.

#865 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 07:39 AM

Pump prices are expected to hit record highs this week - up to $1.60 / litre in Metro Vancouver. 

#866 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:57 AM

I think part of the problem is that many people forget what we use energy for in the first place. Yes, we pump gasoline into our cars, but we also use fossil fuels to heat buildings, generate electricity, and ship goods around the world by train and plane and boat and truck. Also, rockets. Those nifty Falcon X reusable rockets still run on fossil fuels (despite being the product of physics wizardry... have you seen one of those things land?)

People also overlook solvents and lubricants for machinery around
the world. Not to mention all the plastic toys, containers and other convenient thingys made from petro-based compounds.

#867 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 01:02 PM

Probabaly a good idea to fill up your tank right about now...
  • rjag likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#868 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 08:45 AM

Premier Horgan is making a LNG announcement at 11am. 

Andrew Weaver has called a press conference for directly after Horgan's announcement, along with the entire Green party caucus (lol). Which likely signals that Weaver is prepared to condemn whatever it is that Horgan is announcing in a little over an hour. 

There also seems to be growing momentum that the massive proposed LNG Canada plant in Kitimat may be getting the green light soon (there do not appear to be any major stumbling blocks standing in front of this project. LNG demand is forecast to remain strong - Shell actually forecasts a global LNG shortage starting in 2020 - LNG Canada has all environmental approvals in place, the project has strong FN backing and even the BC NDP have flip-flopped on this file and are on board). 

• Mattjvd likes this

#869 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 09:14 AM

It would be quite funny if a major LNG project is approved under Horgan after all the failures to do so under the Libs

#870 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 22 March 2018 - 09:30 AM

Probabaly a good idea to fill up your tank right about now...

Gas prices are all over the place in Richmond. Was 155.9 on my way to work yesterday, filled up on the way home at 147.9. Went back up to 155.9 this morning, and now it's between 147.9 and 155.9 depending on which station you go to

#871 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 10:06 AM

It would be quite funny if a major LNG project is approved under Horgan after all the failures to do so under the Libs

The Liberals never failed to approve a LNG project. 

#872 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 10:23 AM

VICTORIA – Premier John Horgan is offering to exempt liquefied natural gas projects from the provincial sales tax on construction, reduce the carbon tax and scrap an income tax surcharge levied by the former Liberal government, in an attempt to sweeten the pot and entice LNG Canada to proceed to a final investment decision this year.

The move, announced Thursday, would roll back many of the LNG taxes set by former premier Christy Clark, foregoing up to $6 billion in potential revenue to taxpayers over four years should LNG Canada proceed with its $40-billion project in Kitimat.

Instead of receiving $28-billion in government revenue over four years, B.C. would take $22 billion, according to government officials.

http://vancouversun....or-lng-industry

Very good. Is Horgan a closet conservative? The left will hate this. 

#873 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 10:29 AM

Jeepers.

Maybe he’s tempting a new election.

Timing might be right.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 22 March 2018 - 10:30 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#874 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 10:31 AM

Horgan has at least one Liberal MLA who will likely prop up his government over this issue (Ellis Ross - Skeena). 

#875 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 March 2018 - 10:31 AM

Yeah, I wonder: recent polls putting his popularity over 50% may mean he is pushing his boundaries to see if he can't get a majority if a non-confidence motion were to happen from Weaver.

#876 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 10:32 AM

The two Liberal MLAs from the Peace may as well (Bernier and Davies). 

#877 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 10:33 AM

Can we please use this newfound pragmatism and apply it to the pipeline? And while we're at it, how about we nix that silly speculation tax?

• jonny and lanforod like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#878 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Can’t he just plain call an election? He does not need to wait for a vote.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#879 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Next up we have Weaver, lol.

This ought to be good.

Know it all.

#880 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 10:35 AM

Sorry, that should read Green Party leader "Give Children the Vote" Weaver.

• jonny likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users