Photo

Canadian oil / gas production and shipping

• Please log in to reply
1754 replies to this topic

#1081 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 09:10 AM

On a related topic, my latest Fortis gas bill was $72.00. Only $6.00 of that $72.00 was actual gas usage. The rest was fees, surcharges and taxes. 

Fortis splits out Delivery and Storage and Transport from the cost of gas, but of course that cannot actually be unbundled.   So yeah, your "Cost of gas" is extremely low, but unless you want to drive to Alberta to pick it up, the actual "Cost of Gas" must include getting it to your house.  

My $66.39 bill consists of:

$37.64 cost of gas to my house

$13.89 basic charge from Fortis for being hooked up

$14.89 in taxes

• lanforod likes this

#1082 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,531 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 10:34 AM

The City of Victoria has become the first municipality in B.C. to support filing a class-action lawsuit that seeks to have oil and gas companies help pay a portion of the costs associated with climate change and is hoping other municipalities follow its lead.

A Victoria council meeting, held on Jan. 17, found that the impacts of climate change have resulted in substantial costs for local B.C. governments, and asks the Union of BC Municipalities (UBCM) to examine the possibility of initiating the lawsuit. - https://www.theglobe...st-the-oil-and/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1083 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 10:37 AM

What a bunch of morons. 

This has rapidly become a mind-numbingly stupid city hall. 

#1084 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,531 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 10:50 AM

Given the amount of taxation applied to gasoline prices, including local transit taxes, carbon taxes (de-coupled from revenue neutrality) and on top of the whole smorgasbord of taxes, GST, governments are complicit in profiting from the sale of gasoline.

• rjag likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1085 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 11:09 AM

Not only that, but the City of Victoria - admits through its own actions - the criticality of fossil fuels via its use of police vehicles, fire/rescue vehicles, ambulances, transit buses, CoV work trucks, library trucks that shuttle books between branches, school district vehicles, delivery trucks, heavy construction equipment, etc., etc., etc.

I would just love to see the CoV pave a roadway without fossil fuels. I would just love to see them maintain BHP without fossil fuels. Bet they could have easily built the new JSB without good old dino oil. *rolls eyes*

The City of Victoria profits off of its parking garages that are more or less for the exclusive use of ICE personal vehicles, for heaven sakes.

#1086 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 08:43 PM

My latest Fortis bill: $5.11 gas used, $5.74 Carbon Tax. So the tax on the carbon is more than the actual carbon... 

Total bill: $44.40 for $5.11 worth of natural gas.  :whyme:

#1087 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:39 PM

My latest Fortis bill: $5.11 gas used, $5.74 Carbon Tax. So the tax on the carbon is more than the actual carbon... 

Total bill: $44.40 for $5.11 worth of natural gas.  :whyme:

You totally ignored Leo's post above eh.

By all means, drive to a natural gas refinery and pick-up 5.11+carbon tax of natural gas. I guarantee you, it'll cost you more than 44.40 and good luck finding a portable tank for any reasonable price that can hold LNG or CNG.

• jonny likes this

#1088 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,531 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 09:41 PM

Maybe the lesson here is to discontinue gas services?

Know it all.

#1089 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 09:58 AM

You totally ignored Leo's post above eh.

By all means, drive to a natural gas refinery and pick-up 5.11+carbon tax of natural gas. I guarantee you, it'll cost you more than 44.40 and good luck finding a portable tank for any reasonable price that can hold LNG or CNG.

No, not ignored. I understand the costs involved in getting the gas from the ground to my house, I was just breaking the bill down to its most basic: the actual gas used vs. the carbon tax applied to it. Should the consumer be paying a carbon tax for pulling the gas out of the ground? The storage of it? The movement of it? Or should we pay only a carbon tax on just the consumption of it? After all, no carbon is released until the gas is burned, at least in the interests of the end user. If any carbon is released in the process of drilling for it, storing it or moving it, then that responsibility should fall on the company doing that work and they should be paying the carbon tax on those processes. And if they are already, why is the end consumer also paying?

#1090 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 01 February 2019 - 11:49 AM

^ thanks for clarifying. Good questions

#1091 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 04:26 PM

^^Couldnt you also say that all of that work is done at the behest of the end consumer? And therefore, they should be the ones paying tax on it?
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#1092 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 05:28 PM

There really is no difference between the comsumer and the company paying the tax. If Fortis had to pay it up front, they would build that cost into the price of the gas and it would cost the consumer the same amount.

#1093 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 07:25 PM

Trudeau stands alone in green energy..

https://business.fin...ns-green-energy

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1094 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 07:55 PM

Twitter trolls linked to suspected foreign influence campaigns stoked controversy over pipelines and immigration in Canada, according to a CBC/Radio-Canada analysis of 9.6 million tweets from accounts since deleted.

The troll accounts, which have since been deleted by Twitter, are suspected of having originated in Russia, Iran and Venezuela.

https://www.cbc.ca/a...impression=true

Edited by jonny, 13 February 2019 - 07:56 PM.

#1095 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,531 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 10:17 PM

With accusations that upwards of 50% of Facebook accounts could be fake accounts, I wouldn't be surprised if a significant amount of content people consume via social media is clandestine political meddling.

• jonny likes this

Know it all.

#1096 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 09:53 AM

With accusations that upwards of 50% of Facebook accounts could be fake accounts, I wouldn't be surprised if a significant amount of content people consume via social media is clandestine political meddling.

We now now with absolute certainty that foreign interests have been influencing the public O&G debate in Canada via direct funding of special interest and lobbyists and social media manipulation. No wonder we've found ourselves in such a mess.  

#1097 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 19 February 2019 - 01:24 PM

Oil by rail is a go. Alberta to lease 4,400 rail cars from CN and CP in order to ship estimated 120,000 barrels per day by 2020. Re-branded rail cars will hit the tracks in July. via https://www.cbc.ca/n...e-oil-1.5024665

#1098 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,989 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 01:38 PM

ive never quite understood why the government actually gets involved in this plan. why don’t the oil companies just do it if it’s so lucrative?

#1099 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 01:41 PM

Literally the worst and most risky way to ship oil. Great job anti pipeline people, this is your result
  • jonny and Mattjvd like this

#1100 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 01:52 PM

ive never quite understood why the government actually gets involved in this plan. why don’t the oil companies just do it if it’s so lucrative?

It's not so lucrative. This is a knee jerk reaction by the Alberta government to try something - anything - to stave off further capital flight and decline in the Alberta economy. 

Pipelines are lucrative, which is why the oil companies tried that angle. Oil companies are global enterprises, which is why they have been fleeing Alberta and her landlocked oil. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users