• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 May 2021 - 10:40 AM

I have never heard of this. Do you know of any references for this?

This is quite the thread bump!  4" sounds new to me, but I'm only familiar with my own building which is 1.5" concrete poured on the wood.  Either way, because the concrete isn't structural (and it's often something like Gyp-Crete which is softer and lighter than structural concrete).  It's also poured on the wood frame which which really negates much of the 'soundproofing' aspects of structural concrete as the whole structure is free to vibrate quite a bit more.  It's mostly used for fire resistance between floors.

Our building is wood framed with concrete topped floors. 
Regularly hear footfalls from the resident one floor up.

Other than that, no big issue.

I hear the whole gamut from footfalls to cups on the counter, to chopping vegetables in the kitchen to peeing in the toilet to snoring to an oscillating tower fan in the bedroom.  Can't have a dog though in case it makes noise, go figure.  The girl upstairs who weights half as much as me makes twice the noise I do when walking. 

Concrete topped floors really need to be used with multiple other sound mitigating building techniques to have much of an impact on noise transmission.   

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#22 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,844 posts

Posted 22 May 2021 - 10:50 AM

The girl upstairs who weights half as much as me makes twice the noise I do when walking. 

twice the gravity on that floor yet she is much further from the earth's core.  but way closer to the sun i guess.  is it slightly better or worse when the moon is on the other side of the earth?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 May 2021 - 10:51 AM.

#23 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 May 2021 - 07:31 AM

I've been showing a ton of condos lately and I can safely say you definitively hear less from above in concrete builds. Some wood-frames can be bad for noise transfer from above.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#24 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 May 2021 - 07:44 AM

I've been showing a ton of condos lately and I can safely say you definitively hear less from above in concrete builds. Some wood-frames can be bad for noise transfer from above.

So... how many people are specifically asking for pet free buildings?   :whyme:  Our property manager swears that the pet restriction increases the value of the place.   :squint:

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#25 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 10:18 AM

Concrete topped floors really need to be used with multiple other sound mitigating building techniques to have much of an impact on noise transmission.   

There are some concrete-topped floors in Victoria that failed and began to crack and crumble and actually now transmit more noise than a standard wood floor would have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users