Photo

[Downtown Victoria ] Victoria City Hall | Renovations

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:35 PM

Although I am the first to admit that the current state of Victoria's City Hall is pretty atrocious, I am not certain that in an era of continually rising property taxes that the optics of city hall renovations at this time is prudent:

http://cfax1070.com/...news&Itemid=155

#2 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:47 PM

News to me, I had not realized this was on the cards. Any idea of the costs involved?

#3 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:49 PM

:confused:
News to me.

#4 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:27 PM

Didn't we hear a couple of years ago that a new elevator would be coming to City Hall?

#5 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:43 PM

Dean-O on his rationale for keeping City Hall open:

"...that we need to be here and be open to deal with the crisis, but also the next stage, which is to here and open to help in the recovery, to get back"

It probably makes more sense (and cheaper) to run a command centre out of the Public Works Yard. There's no added value of keeping City Hall open so Dean & Co can check their emails and Katie can have a staging ground for interviews.

#6 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:00 PM

What you need is the Firehall to be functioning, the one they have known for two years needs work to survive an earthquake

#7 Fairbanks

Fairbanks
  • 553 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:08 PM

Please paint it any colour but what it is now. I know that is supposed to represent the original paint but times have changed. Here is a photo of days gone by.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#8 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:32 PM

Please paint it any colour but what it is now.

I actually much prefer the current all-over red colour to the 1980's "neapolitan ice-cream" palette it replaced. There must be colour pictures existing of City Hall's appearance before it's ghastly 1980s paint job.

#9 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:26 PM

What you need is the Firehall to be functioning, the one they have known for two years needs work to survive an earthquake

The firehall needs to be the first priority.

The city could use a brand new city hall in a new location. Then you could gut the present building, do a proper seismic upgrade, and then move the Art Gallery into that location.

Like others I didn't know this project was on the books, which is par for the course to announce projects after the election. What's a little more debt got to do with it, got to do with it.

#10 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:29 AM

Renovations continue. If you're around, check out the hoarding surrounding City Hall. They've put several large archival photos of the building on it. Analogue high-resolution, if you will.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#11 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:47 AM

They're also doing asbestos abatement which is expensive. Also city hall is the most important building to be intact after an earthquake. What good are any emergency services or working water and gas when the city is denied the brilliant world-class leadership we're paying top dollar for?? After a major disaster a lot of victoria will need to be re-built, it's important city-hall survives so that mayor, council, and planning can make sure every single building is re-built a bit smaller and a bit blander than its predecessor.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#12 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 01:35 AM

I suppose renovations here are done?

Something else I noticed is that, although the building has a different address, the entrance to Victoria City Hall, being 2/3rds of the way up the 600 block, is located at 666 Pandora Ave. The true Pandora's box?

• Nparker and sebberry like this

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 27 June 2015 - 06:24 AM

Interesting.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#14 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 07:43 PM

The priorities committee directed staff for the City of Victoria to start implementing a plan aimed at bridging the gap between City Hall and the business community.

One of the ideas put forward by the plan is to put $250,000 a year on a business hub at City Hall.
 Staff and council hope to have the business hub up and running by the end of this year.

http://www.cfax1070....plement-economi

A hub?

#15 Fernwoodian

Fernwoodian
  • 100 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 04:42 PM

I'm guessing it'll be a one-stop shop for any person wanting to open a business in the the city.

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 08:08 AM

Hmm. I wonder if it'll be funded by the daily $250 fee City Hall states it charges people operating an unlicensed business. At nearly 30 dispensaries the money must be rolling in.

As far as business, though, is there anything other than a business license that a typical business needs from the city?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#17 Fernwoodian

Fernwoodian
  • 100 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 08:41 AM

Building Permits for tennant improvements and confirmation that your operation is allowed on the property? That's all I can think of. Perhaps Council thinks this will fill vacancies downtown? However, I think the asking rents would be a much much bigger factor...

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 09:05 AM

Contractors deal with permits through planning and such, so that's likely not it, but maybe you're right, maybe this will be a place to just get basic issues addressed in a timely fashion.

Know it all.

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 01:31 PM

Leaning-Tower-of-Victoria-City-Hall-1.jpg

Leaning-Tower-of-Victoria-City-Hall-2.jpg

“Leaning Tower of Victoria” a peculiarity of capital’s refurbished city hall

http://victoria.citi...shed-city-hall/

An iconic City of Victoria landmark at the intersection of Douglas Street and Pandora Avenue has a peculiar feature that has gone unnoticed by most Victorians.

“Can it be righted? Well that depends,” says the City of Victoria’s Facilities Manager, Chaz Whipp.

Whipp is speaking about the City Hall clocktower and its ...lean. [Full article]

Know it all.

#20 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 02:24 PM

When I climbed inside that clock tower and out the hatch to the top of it the whole thing sways and moves odd sensation when near the top of it

here is a vid.

http://youtu.be/K1GVj2CiUD0t

he weight of the witch may have cause the lean

Edited by HB, 09 September 2016 - 02:46 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users