[North Park] Masjid Al-Iman Mosque Reconstruction | Built - completed in 2012

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:20 AM

Saw that the Mayor was at the sod turning for this yesterday. This will certainly be an improvement over the current look of the mosque across from Crystal Pool. Hopefully it will encourage more immigrants to the area.

Quadra-Hillside is becoming a more and more interesting neighbourhood all the time.

Here is a link to the project:

http://www.masjidal-iman.com/

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#2 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:24 AM

The seating arrangement in the prayer hall is oriented towards Mecca, going over the North Pole.

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:38 AM

Here's the interior layout:

http://www.masjidal-iman.com/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:59 PM

JDM Alliance was awarded general contractor so construction should begin shortly

#5 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:58 PM

I had no idea those two houses on Quadra were a mosque.....

#6 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:11 PM

Both houses are gone and excavation is under way

#7 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:25 PM

Yes it seems like this is going to move ahead quite quickly.

#8 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:55 AM

They're already roofing this. May Allah now bring downtown's abandoned and stalled projects to such swift completion!
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#9 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:31 PM

pix? :)

#10 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:42 PM

The scaffolding came down yesterday and the exterior stucco and stone tile work is complete. One thing you can say is there is nothing else like it in Victoria and that's a good thing. Sorry, no pics.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#11 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:57 PM

you're such a tease! :P

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:17 PM

The scaffolding came down yesterday and the exterior stucco and stone tile work is complete. One thing you can say is there is nothing else like it in Victoria and that's a good thing. Sorry, no pics.

I'll go get some pix right now. You've been warned!
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:40 PM

I think the NPNA was going to be offered a tour before it's "blessed" or whatever it is called when they officially commission it. After that, tours would have to be limited, and gender segregated.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#14 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:50 PM

The problem here is that the wall facing Quadra is also the one that faces Mecca, so probably can't have a lot of windows in it. Or more properly, kneeling in the centre of the building, you'd kind of be facing the red arch thing to face Mecca.

#15 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:36 PM

No, look at the floorplans above, worshipers will face north-north-east. Actually the new building looks different from what the floorplans depict. It is my understanding that Muslims do not simply face east in prayer, but should face the shortest distance to Mecca as-the-crow-flies if possible, hence the north-north-east direction depicted in the floorplan.

Thanks for the pix though!

#16 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:38 PM

No, look at the floorplans above, worshipers will face north-north-east. Actually the new building looks different from what the floorplans depict. It is my understanding that Muslims do not simply face east in prayer, but should face the shortest distance to Mecca as-the-crow-flies if possible, hence the north-north-east direction depicted in the floorplan.

Thanks for the pix though! :tup:

Ya, that makes sense, so the polar route. OK.

#17 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:43 PM

The building looks nothing like what is shown on the website - http://www.masjidal-iman.com/

#18 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:10 PM

Ya, that makes sense, so the polar route. OK.

Both of the Muslims at work pray to Mecca facing the poles.

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:21 PM

The building looks nothing like what is shown on the website - http://www.masjidal-iman.com/

Whoa...

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#20 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:32 PM

Victoria to Mecca:

http://www.gcmap.com...&SU=kts&RS=best

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users