Photo

[North Park] Masjid Al-Iman Mosque Reconstruction | Built - completed in 2012

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#21 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:10 PM

This building is hideous. It looks down right ugly in the photos and worse in person.

I've seen plenty of good looking mosques. This is definitely not one of them. Hopefully it'll look better once it's totally complete.

#22 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:09 AM

The building looks nothing like what is shown on the website - http://www.masjidal-iman.com/

That is the view from overhead looking at the rear of the building. However the tower does not stand out as in the pic yet. Perhaps there is finishing work to go on. I like the form of the building. Of course more than anything I like what the building represents which is permanence of community. Quadra Village is already seeing somewhat of a renaissance in vibrancy in part due to the growing muslim community. I hope that this means that we will see more growth of this community in this area.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#23 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:13 AM

This building is a stunning work of religious architecture compared to the new Sikh temple by 5th street bar and grill...
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#24 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:47 AM

That is the view from overhead looking at the rear of the building. However the tower does not stand out as in the pic yet. Perhaps there is finishing work to go on. I like the form of the building. Of course more than anything I like what the building represents which is permanence of community. Quadra Village is already seeing somewhat of a renaissance in vibrancy in part due to the growing muslim community. I hope that this means that we will see more growth of this community in this area.

You should have seen the Steve Nash basketball court when I took those pix last night.

It was a regular United Nations all playing together, and separately. 20% white, the rest everything else. Very cool.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#25 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:49 PM

No, look at the floorplans above, worshipers will face north-north-east. Actually the new building looks different from what the floorplans depict. It is my understanding that Muslims do not simply face east in prayer, but should face the shortest distance to Mecca as-the-crow-flies if possible, hence the north-north-east direction depicted in the floorplan.

Thanks for the pix though!

As the crow flies is a straight line, great circle route is what you are describing.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#26 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:41 PM

Wow, VHF, your facebook page made it on CTV news tonight...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#27 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:44 PM

^ link please seb

#28 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:50 PM

http://www.ctvvancou...slim-community/

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#29 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:05 AM

As the crow flies is a straight line, great circle route is what you are describing.

What I described is a straight line ;-)

That is the view from overhead looking at the rear of the building

There must have been a significant design change for the project because what has been built looks nothing like the overhead rendering or the floorplans we have seen.

#30 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:22 AM

You may have noticed the green metal dome was been painted beige like the rest of the building as seen in VHF's picture. If you think that's a strange thing to do, you're right. This morning, a painter was seen scrubbing the beige paint off the dome with solvent.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#31 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:30 AM

^^^Thanks for that seb.

#32 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:35 AM

http://www.timescolo...1076/story.html

Now if only Holden had taken the pics...
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#33 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:11 AM

Methinks Dan Speed is about to learn drunk Facebooking is detrimental to one's career. What a tool.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#34 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:55 AM

Methinks Dan Speed is about to learn drunk Facebooking is detrimental to one's career. What a tool.

Dan Speed has now made alterations to his Facebook account privacy, and "withdrawn" his messages from the page.

#35 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:53 AM

The internet never forgets. What a tool. It's sad how over-represented this line of thinking is though in the military/security fields :(

I hope his comments are treated seriously though. Imagine how seriously muslims posting on facebook that they wanted to blow up a new church with an anti-tank gun would be taken.

#36 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:20 AM

Baro, you're assuming the guy who made the threat is Christian?

#37 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:28 AM

I'm assuming he's not part of the "muslim community" and as such will receive less scrutiny and less aggressive investigation/prosecution than if he was and said the same things.

#38 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:36 PM

The Canadian Press just called me, they really wanna talk to this guy, he's gone underground.

#39 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:38 PM

The sad thing is, the Internet being what it is he's probably getting actual death threats from self-righteous do-gooders in response to his dumb joke.

Victoria police are investigating provocative, anti-Muslim comments posted on the I Love Downtown Victoria Facebook page, suggesting the new Masjid AlIman Mosque on Quadra Street be blasted with a rocket launcher.

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz23xJGGYEL

On the website, that rendered to look like "Allman Mosque" and I thought, hey I'll sign up for that.

The main beef in his original post seemed to be about noise pollution from the five-times-a-day call to prayer but I don't think they do that in non-Muslim countries. So even the logic behind his post was dumb. I did travel to Turkey once and was woken up at dawn by the scratchy loudspeaker of the Mosque next door. It's a shock the first time you hear it, that's for sure.

#40 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:02 PM

At least Global linked my page...

http://www.globaltvb...9644/story.html

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users