62 replies to this topic

#41 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:29 PM

http://www.canada.co...7225/story.html

Now they are on to me.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#42 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:10 AM

http://www.timescolo...0663/story.html
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#43 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:06 AM

where do most of victoria's muslim immigrants come from, or where did the first ones come from, and when did they move here?

#44 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:52 AM

Methinks Dan Speed is about to learn drunk Facebooking is detrimental to one's career. What a tool.

Not-guilty plea expected in threat case against Victoria mosque

Not-guilty plea expected in threat case against Victoria mosque

Times Colonist September 20, 2012

A commissionaire who allegedly posted comments online suggesting the Masjid Al-Iman Mosque on Quadra Street be blasted with a rocket launcher appeared in Victoria provincial court on Wednesday.

Hmmm, I hadn't seen this last week. No one has ever contacted me (except the media).

#45 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:13 PM

where do most of victoria's muslim immigrants come from, or where did the first ones come from, and when did they move here?

Census data can show you origin of immigrants, although not all immigrants from Muslim-majority countries are Muslim, especially given minorities tend to emigrate in higher numbers.

#46 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:37 PM

This might appear racist, but it is definitely not intended to be.

My barber is located across from Bamfield Park where Muslims pray in a community centre on Friday afternoons.

He is looking forward to when the new Mosk opens on Quadra as he says his business shuts down then because his customers have nowhere to park

His beef is all about the parking. They fill the streets like a Sunday Church meeting.

A large percentage of the vehicles are taxis. One Muslim male per car. No females.

#47 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:56 AM

^ Yep, that does come across as intolerant. Good on you to realize it.

#48 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:24 AM

^ Bless you.

#49 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:47 AM

A large percentage of the vehicles are taxis. One Muslim male per car. No females.

Don't women and men have to pray separately? The women must go somewhere different.

#50 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:46 AM

Don't women and men have to pray separately? The women must go somewhere different.

There is no absolute rule forbidding mixed-gender prayer halls. That said I believe that the dominant sects do make that a requirement and provide segregated areas within the prayer hall. I believe the drawings for the new mosque show a women's prayer area on a balcony/mezzanine level over the main level.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#51 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:21 AM

Yes the new building will accomodate both genders. I am hopeful this will mean further growth in the immigrant population in North Park and Hillside-Quadra.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#52 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:55 AM

There is no absolute rule forbidding mixed-gender prayer halls. That said I believe that the dominant sects do make that a requirement and provide segregated areas within the prayer hall. I believe the drawings for the new mosque show a women's prayer area on a balcony/mezzanine level over the main level.

Hmmm, in my experience in the middle east muslim men and women have prayed separately and never in the same room.

Maybe it's similar to there apparently being no explicit rule (I haven't looked up the rules) regarding women wearing burka's or whatever, but in practice they seem to behave differently (the devout muslims anyway).

#53 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:08 PM

From all appearances this project looks complete.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#54 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,471 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:34 AM

Thanks. I've updated the entry.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#55 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:34 AM

They squeezed in two little parking spots in front of this building where a front lawn or something should be...looks unattractive to me.

#56 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:31 PM

I agree. There's a parking lot in behind, plus street parking. Is that not enough?

#57 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

They might have some operational need that demands a couple guaranteed parking spots right at the building.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#58 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:38 PM

Maybe disabled parking?

#59 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:47 PM

I'm looking at the site plan right now and there's only the one designated HC parking spot in the back. The 2 spots in the front have space but do not quite conform with HC parking requirements, nor are they designated. My guess is they needed to obtain some ridiculous prescribed exact number of parking spots and were 2 short so jammed them in the front. They could also function as some sort of extended loading zone or short term parking? It's ugly but I'm sure the architect had a reason.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#60 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,471 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:35 PM

I'm sure it had more to do with wanting additional parking than City regulations.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users