Photo

Is there an advantage for the developer to choose to develop a strata development vs. a freehold development?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:20 AM

It bears repeating: small dogs are much more of a nuisance in a strata than large dogs because of the endless yapping. Large dogs are content to sleep all day with the occasional "woof" if they hear a loud noise. I wish stratas would wake up to this fact. Weight limits are stupid and pointless.

I'm not sure if SFD stratas have pet bylaws.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#22 arfenarf

arfenarf
  • 322 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:58 PM

I'm not sure if SFD stratas have pet bylaws.

The strata I walked away from in ESQ was four SFDs.

Really, really nice development. It was a shame, but I'm not going there again, at least as long as I have a dog. Or kids. Or might have to rent the place someday.

#23 Coopershawk

Coopershawk
  • 120 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:53 PM

We have a number of chicken brain dogs in our complex and they are the most annoying part of living here. The older ladies who own them seem to be going through a second motherhood or something and their offspring are often dressed in coats for their walk, barking at anything that moves, not only outside but inside as well! Little white dogs...a pain in the derriere!

#24 LJ

LJ
  • 12,719 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:39 PM

Well, in the interest of fair play, I have two small dogs, one of them is even white, and they don't bark at anything happening outside. One of them will bark for 30 seconds or so if a stranger comes into the house.

A neighbour has two large dogs which he leaves outside while he is at work, they can bark and howl all day long sometimes.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#25 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:30 AM

If you can't be with your dogs all day or have them cared for all day, don't leave them in the yard to harass the neighbourhood while you're away.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#26 RHerman

RHerman
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 01:46 AM

Hi all, 

I see this conversation happened a long time ago, it was a great read, although now I have a question! 

I understand that one could "customize" the services available to strata units as a single entity...  (Section 100 SPABC) but could a developer create varied zones with in a single strata development?

-Strata Development = Strata lots + Common property

This Act is current to December 6, 2017                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
STRATA PROPERTY ACT of british columbia  -  [spabc] [SBC 1998] CHAPTER 43

Part 6 — Finances

Calculating strata fees

99  (1) Subject to section 100, owners must contribute to the strata corporation their strata lots' shares of the total contributions budgeted for the operating fund and contingency reserve fund by means of strata fees calculated in accordance with this section and the regulations.

(2) Subject to the regulations, the strata fees for a strata lot's share of the contribution to the operating fund and contingency reserve fund are calculated as follows:

98043_multi_99_2.gif
Change to basis for calculation of contribution

100  (1) At an annual or special general meeting held after the first annual general meeting, the strata corporation may, by a resolution passed by a unanimous vote, agree to use one or more different formulas, other than the formulas set out in section 99 and the regulations, for the calculation of a strata lot's share of the contribution to the operating fund and contingency reserve fund.

(2) An agreement under subsection (1) may be revoked or changed by a resolution passed by a unanimous vote at an annual or special general meeting.

(3) A resolution passed under subsection (1) or (2) has no effect until it is filed in the land title office, with a Certificate of Strata Corporation in the prescribed form stating that the resolution has been passed by a unanimous vote.

#27 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 December 2017 - 11:34 PM

Welcome to the forum, RHerman :)

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#28 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 687 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 09:54 AM

i was part of a bare land strata for 12 years and it was a nightmare. Of the 11 home owners no wanted to take any responsibility, so I was stuck doing it all.

Your city taxes were the same, but you had to be responsible for maintaining the road, having the fire hydrate maintained, etc ... forget about snow removal. It was up to you if you could find someone the day you needed them :(

Biggest beef is there were 3 people living in our house, but across the street they had 7 people living upstairs and 3 in a downstairs suite, but  because the water was shared equally between each home I ended up paying a far greater percentage of the water bill. I tried to get it changed, but because it required a majority to change the by-law that was not going to happen, since 9 of the 11 homes had suites and they knew their costs would go up.

To me it was just a way for the developer to squeeze in one more home and for the city to not take responsibility for maintaining the road and having to only put in one water shut off value for the entire street  ... most people who bought into the strata were people like myself who were knew to the city and never heard of this type of situation. 

If you want a lot of stress in your life then owning a home in a bare land strata is for you :)

#29 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 December 2017 - 03:35 PM

Hi all, 

I see this conversation happened a long time ago, it was a great read, although now I have a question! 

I understand that one could "customize" the services available to strata units as a single entity...  (Section 100 SPABC) but could a developer create varied zones with in a single strata development?

-Strata Development = Strata lots + Common property

This Act is current to December 6, 2017                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
STRATA PROPERTY ACT of british columbia  -  [spabc] [SBC 1998] CHAPTER 43

Part 6 — Finances

Calculating strata fees

99  (1) Subject to section 100, owners must contribute to the strata corporation their strata lots' shares of the total contributions budgeted for the operating fund and contingency reserve fund by means of strata fees calculated in accordance with this section and the regulations.

(2) Subject to the regulations, the strata fees for a strata lot's share of the contribution to the operating fund and contingency reserve fund are calculated as follows:

98043_multi_99_2.gif
Change to basis for calculation of contribution

100  (1) At an annual or special general meeting held after the first annual general meeting, the strata corporation may, by a resolution passed by a unanimous vote, agree to use one or more different formulas, other than the formulas set out in section 99 and the regulations, for the calculation of a strata lot's share of the contribution to the operating fund and contingency reserve fund.

(2) An agreement under subsection (1) may be revoked or changed by a resolution passed by a unanimous vote at an annual or special general meeting.

(3) A resolution passed under subsection (1) or (2) has no effect until it is filed in the land title office, with a Certificate of Strata Corporation in the prescribed form stating that the resolution has been passed by a unanimous vote.

Can you offer a real life example? I am not exactly sure what your question is? 

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#30 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,783 posts

Posted 19 June 2022 - 03:56 PM

That’s because multifamily dwellings unattached to stratas are “exceptionally rare” in the Capital Regional District, according to Luke Mari, of Aryze Developments. Without strata fees and contingency/reserve funds, owners of these “fee-simple” condos must work out complex legal agreements regarding access to and maintenance of shared property, such as driveways or party walls. Unlike Montreal with its row houses or Toronto with its brownstones, there’s not much of a history of those kinds of arrangements in Victoria. Mari estimates that there are only about 10 townhouses that aren’t strata corporations in the CRD and says new ones just aren’t being built because of their legal complexity.

https://www.capitald...ata-victoria-bc

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 June 2022 - 03:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users