• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:18 PM

Ok... Here we go.
The First Photo of Canada Revenue Building on Vancouver at Johnson was taken in 1970.

The second photo was taken in 2012 a few days ago.
The tree near the steps is missing in the second photo
Trees are awesome. The one on the far left still has the branches in the same position.The one that shoots out at an angle to the left is there still just larger.

The tree at the corner of the building appears to not really have grown at all. It is the same height in both photos. ....Or is it???

Take a closer look.

See the human eye see what it sees. What it see is that the tree has not gained any height.

The Tree has indeed grown in this snapshot of 40 years.

But what you may not have noticed at first glance is that the building has also grown by 1 floor.

#2 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:34 PM

A close friend of mine, Bill Kokkelink, who owned Sandbar Construction added that third floor.

Only you, the Canadian taxpayer, could have afforded that project.

#3 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:21 AM

OT I lived nearby when they did the work. That was there slowest construction project I ever saw. Any idea why?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#4 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:20 AM

...what you may not have noticed at first glance is that the building has also grown by 1 floor...

I believe that a major seismic upgrade was done at the time the 3rd floor was added. And as for cost, keep in mind that this is the local office of the Canada Revenue Agency, a building that MUST remain standing no matter what the disaster. :P

BTW since McCall's Funeral Chapel is across the street from here, my accountant always refers to this area as the corner of "death & taxes". LOL!

#5 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:59 AM

Notice the hydro poles are even uglier now than back in 1970? It's time for Victorians to demand more underground wiring.

#6 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:31 AM

It's funny, Victorians fret about the heights of buildings like nowhere else, and yet most people I know have no memory whatsoever of that building growing taller, just like they don't remember the various other buildings around town that have gained a floor or lost floors.

Maybe a few floors either way aren't such a big deal after all? We're more worried about numbers on paper than the actual visual effect?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users