• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:31 PM

Thanks
I have been reading this forum for about 3 years.
I decided to start posting because if I dropped dead without sharing some photos and historical info I have it would be lost forever.
This way others can look at it and pass it on to future generations.
We are only here on borrowed time.

#22 hotdoglegz

hotdoglegz
  • 120 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:45 PM

The man that is almost next to dog seems to have a Blue Tooth headset. Is this photo from the future when we all dress nicely again?

#23 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:29 PM

I think that might be a cigarillo mustache combo but wow it sure looks like it!

Why are these people walking down the street anyways?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#24 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:31 PM

Also what is an Electrical Shoe Store??? Dang maybe this is the future!

It has a whole new look!

#25 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:42 PM

Are these war vets from perhaps the Boer War, as they seem too old for WW I? Notice the medals, and that they are all in step. Also, the British flag on the cluster light standard?

Here is more of the Photo

#26 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:32 PM

The date that this photograph was taken was Aug 2 1918

The men in the photo are taking part in a 1918 one day strike to protest the murder of labour organizer Ginger Goodwin.

Workers all over BC marched and went on strike one on the day of Ginger Goodwins funeral.

I got the date from the back of the photo as well as a notation about the Labour march. there were also military personal and Boy scouts and other everyday people who were involved

Goodwin was the
vice-president of the B.C. Federation of Labour.
He fought on behalf of Coal Miners lobbying for an 8 hour work day. He was against the 1st world war and because of hi stance against the was he was enlisted against his will. He originally was not required to join the service due to poor health but after his outspoken ways his health problems were overlooked. This was sure to speed up his demise if he were sent off to war. In effect silencing him.

He went into hiding in the hills surrounding the Coal mines near Cumberland on Vancouver Island. He was hunted and killed by a hired Policeman on July 27 1918.

He is buried in in a cemetery near the Inland Highway in Cumberland and has a road named after him in the area

#27 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:14 PM

And previously a part of a highway.

It has a whole new look!

#28 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:14 PM

No thoughts on the electric shoes?

It has a whole new look!

#29 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,140 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:40 PM

If Sparky can't help you......who ya gonna call?

http://www.cityelect.../our_story.html

#30 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:00 PM

Awesome!

It has a whole new look!

#31 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:49 PM

In addition to the electric shoes, I like the crude Coca Cola sign, which is funkier than the properly rendered old Coca Cola sign that's barely visible on the side of the social services building on Johnson across from the parkade.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#32 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:39 PM

Just noticed this today.

At 2311 Government St you will find ACME Janitorial Supply.
One of their buildings has had a piece of Stucco fall off and what has been revealed is an old sign .

Have a look at the photos.

The Business name that is starting to appears is Zaccarelli and Sons Blacksmiths.

Owner was Frank Zaccarelli of 940 Craigflower Rd

#33 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:53 PM

Great find! That whole sign needs to be uncovered before some moron repaints it.

This thread should contain all the "ghost sign" pictures we've found. A subset of the larger signs/billboards thread, this one could contain only recently discovered vintage signs.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#34 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:57 PM

Quadra/Tattersall sign (since destroyed/re-covered)

Photo: Dylan Leblanc

#35 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:04 PM

715 Johnson Street (sign since painted over).

We deduced that the entire sign probably says "CARRIAGE M'F'R [Carriage manufacturer])

Photo: flickr user valentine_mariner

Thread Photo: Marilyn

#36 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:11 PM

Photo: Dylan Leblanc

Sparky, your boot! :P

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#37 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:22 PM

Old CJVI logo inside the Ocean/Jack FM office on Fort St (painted over).

Photo: Holden West

#38 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:26 PM

Douglas Street market. Sign's current whereabouts unknown.

Photo: Holden West

#39 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:29 PM

Here is the mother of all old signs.
This one takes a little explaining as to why it is where it is.

Lefevre just finished a total restoration of this building on lower Yates St

I consider myself an explorer and I get a lot of info and photos from exploration expeditions.

Now when this building was first erected it was not as big as it is now, In fact the Oriental Hotel was originally a small one floor shack.

The 3 story building you see now is actually 2 buildings that were joined in the early days.
The original part was the part on the east side or the right side of the building.

This First Picture shows the Original Oriental Hotel. If you look at the top half moon arch under the sea gull you can see the word Oriental Hotel. This is not the sign I am about to show you but it is significant.

It was not long after this was built that the owner decided to build on an addition due to the need for more rooms. The next part of the Hotel was built to the left or west side of this one. It was however only joined at the front and the rear. The windows on the west side of building 1 were not filled in . After the second building went up it appeared to be one. It still fools people today.
This next photo is building 2.

Now the Oriental is a larger building with lots of rooms.

The next photo shows the roof and that there are 2 buildings side by side and only joined by a narrow margin of brick and mortar.

This next photo looking up from the ground directly below where the 2 are joined clearly shows the fancy wood work taken on by skilled craftsmen of the day.
The cornice details on the building are outstanding

I will tell you about the sign now. This sign was visible to the outside world for a mere 3 or 4 years and the last time was about the year 1887 +/-

The sign was located outside the first building on the west side .
The next photo has an arrow pointing to the location of the sign.

The Sign said ORIENTAL HOTEL

Between the red arrows is where the sign was ans still is. This used to be the outside wall of the Hotel.

Now for the good part. The photos of the sign itself.

When you see the photos you will notice that there is a chimney bisecting the sign.
each and every room in the Oriental had a fireplace. when the addition was built all of the new rooms also has fireplaces and chimneys. I didnt have a wide angle lens to capture whole wall but you get the idea.

This is by far my favorite find in Victoria.

The best thing about it is that I asked about the future of the sign and was told that the the person who bought the unit saw the sign and wanted it to stay.

It did stay and they built the condo and left the wall intact.

If you know which window to look at you can see it from the Yates St parkade. i am not condoning looking in peoples windows but it is there and probably best viewed at night when the lights maybe on inside the unit. 5th Level of parkade is good.

Final photo is a view between buildings from the roof.

I hope and wish that one day they open up Oriental Alley to the Public.
It is a public alley but the problem is the private property at the north end. if the alley were opened it would be a nice walk.
the alley has been restored.

#40 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,665 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:47 AM

Great finds HB. Thanks for sharing. My only regret about the recent restoration of the OH is that the tower was not reconstructed. What a thing of beauty that was.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users