[Marine] Ferry services to/from Victoria harbour

• Please log in to reply
509 replies to this topic

#341 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 07:51 PM

Here it is caught up in tuna nets...

What sort of bait do you need to catch a vessel of this size?

#342 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 03:50 PM

I had the opportunity to poke around the Clipper V this afternoon as part of the launch blessing ceremony.

I was struck at how much larger it seems when standing next to it. It’s only 12 meters longer, but seems to tower over the dock.

Because it’s wider, it can accommodate more passengers. Clipper plans to run two round trips daily this summer season, both on the Clipper V, instead of the 3 that it previously ran with the smaller vessels.

1-exterior sm.jpg

There are two classes of service on the Clipper V. Economy and Comfort.

Economy takes up the whole main deck, as well as most of the second deck. Seats are positions around tables, or, with airline-style fold down trays.

Galley service with snacks for sale will continue, however in future they will have the capability of preparing hot food.

Lower deck Economy class:

3-economy lower sm.jpg

Upper deck Economy Class:

4-economy upper sm.jpg

The front cabin of the second deck is dedicated to Clipper’s new Comfort Class. All seats in Comfort are front-fancing and have a full table. These seats recline, unlike Economy.

5-comfort tables sm.jpg

6-comfort front facing sm.jpg

7-comfort looking out sm.jpg

Comfort Class passengers will also have access to complimentary snacks & non-alcoholic beverages.

8-comfort snack bar sm.jpg

Clipper is planning on charging $20 per person for the upgrade to Comfort Class – great value.

The third floor is limited to crew – looks like a lot of fancy gadgets to keep them happy 😊

9-bridge sm.jpg

Clipper V is expected to start sailing on Friday.

• Mike K., Nparker, Greg and 5 others like this

#343 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 03:52 PM

Very cool! Thank you for sharing.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#344 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 03:52 PM

...Clipper is planning on charging $20 per person for the upgrade to Comfort Class – great value....

V2V could learn a thing or two about what passengers are willing to pay for an upgrade.

#345 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 03:53 PM

Next Friday, yes.

What are they going to do with Clipper V all summer?  Just San Juans?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#346 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 03:54 PM

V2V could learn a thing or two about what passengers are willing to pay for an upgrade.

Comp bev and snacks sounds good for $20.  Especially if I can load up on cheese like on BCF Quiet Lounge.

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#347 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 01 March 2018 - 04:26 PM

Comp bev and snacks sounds good for $20.  Especially if I can load up on cheese like on BCF Quiet Lounge.

The best thing about the BCF Ferries Quiet Lounge is the cheese. The second best thing about the BCF Quiet Lounge is the absence of children taking the cheese before I can.

• Mike K., VicHockeyFan, Nparker and 1 other like this

#348 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 04:37 PM

Next Friday, yes.

What are they going to do with Clipper V all summer?  Just San Juans?

This vessel is the Clipper V. It won't be travelling to the San Juans.

Personally, I think $20 is extremely good value. They could probably charge a bit more, given their clientele. We'll see how it shakes out.

• Nparker likes this

#349 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 04:42 PM

Oh, I mean what's Clipper IV to do all summer now?

Catamaran_Victoria_Clipper_IV.jpg

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 01 March 2018 - 04:43 PM.

#350 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 09:32 PM

Oh, I mean what's Clipper IV to do all summer now?

Catamaran_Victoria_Clipper_IV.jpg

EDIT: Clipper folks say they are selling I and IV.

#351 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 10:20 PM

So no backup vessel?

Last time I visited Seattle with my folks, in Sep 2016, the clipper on the way back had engine trouble shortly after leaving Seattle and had to return. All passengers had to wait for 3+h for the other Clipper to travel from Victoria to Seattle to bring us home.

#352 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:27 AM

So no backup vessel?

Last time I visited Seattle with my folks, in Sep 2016, the clipper on the way back had engine trouble shortly after leaving Seattle and had to return. All passengers had to wait for 3+h for the other Clipper to travel from Victoria to Seattle to bring us home.

I imagine the Clipper III could pinch hit if required.

#353 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:37 AM

New ship looks nice. Too bad there will be fewer sailings though. 

• Nparker likes this

#354 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:39 AM

Well if it makes two returns it actually serves us pretty well. More capacity on the early departure. And probably earlier by 30 minutes or an hour.

#355 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:44 AM

Well if it makes two returns it actually serves us pretty well. More capacity on the early departure. And probably earlier by 30 minutes or an hour.

screenshot-www.clippervacations.com-2018.03.02-09-43-48.png

Victoria departure    -     Seattle arrival

So Tues/Wed it's only one return sailing.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 02 March 2018 - 09:47 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#356 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:45 AM

Are the above all Victoria departure times?

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#357 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 12:21 PM

Departure on the left, arrival on the right :)

#358 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:53 PM

I'm on the maiden voyage to Seattle on the Clipper V. We got a complementary upgrade to Comfort Class. Very nice so far.
  • VicHockeyFan, Nparker, Sparky and 1 other like this

#359 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 05:43 PM

How about some interior photos Rob?

#360 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:20 PM

I have a few photos but the ones posted above are better and show the interior quite well. The sailing was about 30% capacity I'm guessing.

The ship came to a dead stop just as we were leaving the harbour and getting up to speed. The captain announced they had to reboot the dampening system and we were back up to full speed within a minute. The strait was choppy but the ride was as smooth as a jet plane. Very friendly crew.

When we docked in Seattle we could see all three Clippers together and the difference between Clipper V and the original Clipper is dramatic, the new one is so much larger. Apparently Clipper V is big enough to fit all the passengers from both Clippers I and IV.

• VicHockeyFan and jonny like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users