Posted 14 May 2020 - 11:19 PM

That’s a long time.

#402 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 05:53 AM

CTV:

U.S. extends non-essential travel restrictions at land border with Canada until Sept. 21

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) tweeted Friday morning that the U.S. is extending restrictions on non-essential travel at their land and ferry crossing with Canada and Mexico through Sept. 21.

and that's a wrap for the Canadian tourist season in the USA.  and presumably keeps the COHO and the Clipper sidelined.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 August 2021 - 05:54 AM.

#403 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 06:15 AM

Don’t worry if we find that there is no place for us to travel to we can always gather up 12,000 or so of us and go watch a football game in Vancouver.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#404 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 06:37 AM

Don’t worry if we find that there is no place for us to travel to we can always gather up 12,000 or so of us and go watch a football game in Vancouver.

which is fine.   the virus does not spread like fire.  unless the 12,000 all know one another and mingle it's probably no more dangerous than a 100-person wedding or 150-person bar/club.

#405 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 20 August 2021 - 07:35 PM

Dr. Bonnie was at the game, without a mask on in the stands.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#406 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 24 August 2021 - 09:44 AM

Border services set to resume at Vancouver Island marine ports, ferry terminals (cheknews.ca)

September 7th.

#407 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 24 August 2021 - 09:46 AM

Lol.

It’s a circus now.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#408 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 24 August 2021 - 12:25 PM

Neither the Coho nor the Clipper have issued an iota of feedback on today's September 7th border re-opening to American travellers, at least not as of 1PM. But they did issue updates just days ago, with the Coho hoping for a September 21st re-start, and the Clipper staying the course:

August 21st, Coho: "Ferry service remains suspended until at least September 21 due to the extension of the US border closure. As we learn more, we will post updates here. Please sign up for our e-newsletter to get the latest information."

August 20th, Clipper: "Despite the Canadian government opening the land, air and marine borders (to recreational boaters only) on August 9th, the Canadian Marine border remains closed to commercial ferry operators with no stated re-opening date at this time. We look forward to receiving news and guidance of an opening date which will determine our return to service date as well as a date when we can begin accepting bookings for our Seattle-Victoria fast ferry service and tour/hotel packages. We continue to coordinate closely with government and health officials to provide guidance and direction on our return to international ferry service."

What a mess. How can these operators just one and two business days prior to the federal announcement have zero insight or awareness of the border re-opening? How could they be so in the dark, that they even issue updates to the travelling public outlining no immediate re-opening plans on August 20th and 21st? That's Friday and Saturday of last week.

This feels like a political play to me, given the suddenness of the re-opening and the apparent lack of industry insight that this was going to happen. Is this just politics, with the Liberals throwing the region a bone given how tight the election might be between the NDP and the Liberal candidate in Victoria?

Usually when a major announcement like this is made you have the stakeholders ready with their own press releases, but instead we have total silence, which makes me question whether or not the Coho or the Clipper can even mobilize in time for the 7th, and whether a half-opening (only to American travellers) is even viable.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#409 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 24 August 2021 - 12:36 PM

Statement from Mayor Helps:

Mayor Helps issued the following statement on the announcement of the September 7 re-opening of the marine border between British Columbia and Washington State:

“It’s terrific to see this announcement today creating certainty around the re-opening of the marine border so that fully vaccinated Americans can make plans to visit Victoria.

“There was confusion in the region on August 9 when the borders re-opened but the marine border remained closed. There was also concern that because of suspended service during the COVID-19 pandemic, the Belleville Terminal had lost its status as a port of entry into Canada.

“The announcement today can be attributed in part to the efforts of the 13 mayors in the region and the Songhees and Esquimalt Nations Chiefs coming together and advocating alongside Destination Greater Victoria, the ferry operators, the Chamber, and the Province in a coordinated way, even as the writ for the federal election was about to drop. It is because of this kind of collaboration that our region is strong and our regional economy is well-poised for recovery.

“The Belleville Terminal is an important entry way to the region and a key engine of the region’s economy. The Coho and Clipper are critical links for Victorians with our neighbours to the south and we look forward to this long-standing border crossing being reopened.”

Know it all.

#410 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 24 August 2021 - 02:03 PM

Neither the Coho nor the Clipper have issued an iota of feedback on today's September 7th border re-opening to American travellers, at least not as of 1PM. 

Actually, they had. Clipper announced a restart date of Sept 17th.

Clipper ferry to sail into Victoria on Sept. 17 for first time since start of pandemic | Times Colonist

#411 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 24 August 2021 - 04:25 PM

Well, got me there. Zero details on their social media at the time of that post.

Know it all.

#412 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 24 August 2021 - 04:30 PM

would i be correct in saying kenmore air has not run since the pandemic began?

i find it interesting that that route is so unpopular just in general.  its a great run.  very convenient.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 August 2021 - 04:30 PM.

#413 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 24 August 2021 - 04:33 PM

Well, got me there. Zero details on their social media at the time of that post.

Probably because they were updating their partners and the media, etc. first. They expect to begin ticket sales on September 6th.

#414 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 24 August 2021 - 04:34 PM

would i be correct in saying kenmore air has not run since the pandemic began?

i find it interesting that that route is so unpopular just in general.  its a great run.  very convenient.  

Correct.

#415 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 24 August 2021 - 04:35 PM

Coho and Anacortes are both sidelined until 2022.

This even further looks to me like a political play. Two major ferries aren’t even returning, one can’t get going until 10-days after the start date.

This is all so peculiar, but regardless excellent news for the local economy.

Know it all.

#416 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 24 August 2021 - 04:45 PM

WSF is down to one international-certified vessel, and with their vessel shortage, it sometimes has to fill in on other routes. It's not really a priority for them. The April 2022 date was already decided on prior to today's announcement: Sidney-Anacortes ferry won’t set sail until spring 2022 – Saanich News

I think Blackball is waiting until the US marine border opens for Canadians too.

#417 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 24 August 2021 - 06:13 PM

That wound make sense. The Clipper is much more of a US centric ferry with its schedule geared towards Seattle departures.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.

#418 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 24 August 2021 - 07:41 PM

Lol.

It’s a circus now.

I should have read one more thread before I posted in another thread. :redface:

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#419 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 24 August 2021 - 11:37 PM

That wound make sense. The Clipper is much more of a US centric ferry with its schedule geared towards Seattle departures.

The owner of Black Ball confirmed on CHEK News tonight that he was waiting for the US to open their border before restarting service.

I'm not sure where Times Colonist got the 2022 date, but Black Ball is hoping it will be earlier.

#420 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 25 August 2021 - 05:10 AM

I think that there are a fair number of Canadians who also visit Seattle for a game or concert. That of course is still not permitted as the US has not opened its borders to us.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users