Photo

The $5 - $10 lunch: cheap downtown Victoria lunch spots

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Amanday

Amanday
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 09:48 AM

So, any fellow downtown workers have some downtown lunch suggestions? I'm always in search of places you can get a tasty lunch for under $10!
Some of my current faves are the Thai Bistro, Hernandez, and Delicados.

#2 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 10:02 AM

Lotus Pond for the buffet, without a doubt. If your lunch hour is flexible, you can go when they drop the price (if they still do that, it's been awhile).

#3 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 10:04 AM

Where is Lotus Pond.. is that the veggie restaurant on Johnson?

#4 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 10:10 AM

Where is Lotus Pond.. is that the veggie restaurant on Johnson?

That's the one, I just love the buffet there. It's actually vegan, and something about only using yin (or yang?) ingredients (namely no garlic). Whatever it is, the food is amazing. I think I might have to hit it up tomorrow!

#5 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 12:24 AM

Sushi on the Go. Next to the Odeon, cheap, filling, fast.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#6 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 12:27 AM

I went to Mole for the first time yesterday. Had the chicken taco salad for lunch. Delicious. And the service was pretty good even in these times of lower expectations.

Chief Battersill was there for lunch too, but had to book out pretty quick when that armed robber situation went down about that time.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#7 julienne

julienne
  • 225 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 11:00 AM

What can $5.00 dollars buy for lunch downtown these days? I've got my haunts - Pig, Daidoco - both places serve up good eats for $5.oo or under.

But there must be more out there? Anyone care to share?

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 11:09 AM

"Pasta of the day" at the Italian place between Fort and View on Blanshard (it might be over $5 with tax, can't remember). You can pick up one of their great sandwiches for under $5, though.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 11:13 AM

Ohh good topic.

So for $5 you can:

Have a couple of pork buns and a honey bun and get change at Victoria BBQ Bakery in Chinatown. It is on Government Street.

get a ham and cheese croissant at the Little Piggy bakery on Fort.

Get dolmades and other middle eastern delights at Middle Eastern Grocery/Deli on Pandora across from Our Place. For 8 dollars you can have a feast.

Get 4 slices of buck a slice or one slice of good pizza at Brickyard.

I am excited to hear what others have to say!!!

#10 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 11:15 AM

"Pasta of the day" at the Italian place between Fort and View on Blanshard (it might be over $5 with tax, can't remember). You can pick up one of their great sandwiches for under $5, though.

Italian Food Imports. To be honest I always walk past that place because of the line up:)

#11 KublaKhan

KublaKhan
  • 283 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 11:19 AM

Can't remember the name of the building, but it's in the mall beside the FIDO store on Yates.

Serves authentic Mexican food. $5 gets you five mini tacos. Vury vury good food.

#12 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 12:20 PM

I also believe that Pag's still does the 5 buck bottomless soup which is worth it for the bread you get alone. YUM

#13 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 12:22 PM

Get dolmades and other middle eastern delights at Middle Eastern Grocery/Deli on Pandora across from Our Place. For 8 dollars you can have a feast.

This guy needs his own thread! Actually I think I'll go start one!

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,455 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 12:42 PM

Italian Food Imports. To be honest I always walk past that place because of the line up:)

Right, it can get busy, but I find that the line moves fairly quickly. The only problem is seating if you want to stick around.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 01:27 PM

Can't remember the name of the building, but it's in the mall beside the FIDO store on Yates.

Serves authentic Mexican food. $5 gets you five mini tacos. Vury vury good food.

^ Hernandez in the St.Andrews Square Building's mall? Used to be where Pig is now.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#16 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 01:57 PM

That's got to be it. And yes, I agree! YUM!

#17 Zimquats

Zimquats
  • 299 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 03:35 PM

There's a $5 burger & Fries special (Lunch only) at Barthalemues (No idea how to spell it, bottom of the Executive hotel). It's a decent burger, but it's hard to sit in there without ordering a beer, which is another $5.

Around $5 gets some good Mexican at the place on the North east corner of Broughton and Douglas (not as good as the place in St. Andrews though, but the line is better)

One of my favorites is a big rice with sesamie sauce to go from Japanese village ($2.50)

$7 will get you the best grilled cheese sandwhich and onion rings I think I have ever had at the place on the north west corner of Broughton and Blanschard (I know, it's 2 bucks over topic, but it's so good I had to plug it).

Soup Etc usually have about 8 different soups on the go at any given time, all of which are yummy and under $5.

I know there's more, but typing this is making me hungry. Need to go scavenge some chow...

#18 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 04:57 PM

The Orchard on View has great sandwiches (next to that Tuscan kitchen store). You get a free banana if you're nice.

#19 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 10:30 AM

It's not right downtown, but Orale, the Mexican place underneath the tax building at Vancouver and Johnson, makes delicious food for very reasonable prices: three tacos, quesadillas, or tostados for $5, the same price for a tamale, a bowl of soup, etc.

#20 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 10:38 AM

At Koto on fort street you can get a very large filling roll and a soup for $5 I believe. Would probably come to 5.50 or so. It's enough to fill me up!
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users