Photo

How to I find the date and architect of a building.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 akimbo

akimbo
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:31 PM

I'm doing some research on some of Victoria's mid-century architecture. Anyone know where I can find the history and architect for a building?

There is one on Dallas that if find interesting. I would post a pic, but it doesn't seem possible on this site. I can e-mail if you are interested.

#2 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:46 PM

akimbo, in order to post a picture on this forum, you first need to upload that picture to a storage site, I use photobucket. Once you have uploaded the picture to photobucket you copy the "image code" [img] and then paste that image code into your post. Once you post your reply to the forum it will turn into a picture.

#3 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:09 PM

You can check if it's a registered or designated heritage home. If so, that information has already been researched. The "This Old House" books are a great resource for Victoria's heritage homes. If not, the CoV archives are fairly shoddy but may have information in the form of old building permits, etc. Research can get difficult on a lot of the lesser known homes and for many, the architect and exact date may never be known.

#4 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:56 PM

You can do some backwards research using the City Directories. That is how I found who built my house and when. Once you know the year if it is a somewhat prominent building start working through the old Colonist sheets.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#5 akimbo

akimbo
  • 87 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:31 AM

You can do some backwards research using the City Directories. ...

Where are the City Directories? Thx.

#6 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:46 AM

At the library.

Can you post a link to Google Streetview of the house?

#7 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:05 AM

A street address would work. We can take it from there.

#8 akimbo

akimbo
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:52 AM

1. 550 Quadra
2. 1940 Fort Street

These are two addresses that I'm interested in. Looks like the same architect. I'm guessing around 1955. Would love to know more.

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:03 AM

You can do some backwards research using the City Directories. That is how I found who built my house and when. Once you know the year if it is a somewhat prominent building start working through the old Colonist sheets.

What did you find out?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#10 akimbo

akimbo
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:41 PM

Duh, there is a plaque near the front door: Wade, Stockdill & Armour, Architects. 1955. I have photographed this site many times inside and out and just noticed the plaque today. Apparently, no one I questioned who works there noticed it either. : ) Still, it's odd that this info isn't in any books I've seen on Victoria architecture or any online info, etc.

#11 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:18 PM

What did you find out?

A couple of months late:)

So what I know about my house. Well it was built by a Malcolm Smith in 1912 who married to Elizabeth. It was a catalog house but not a Sears catalog house at least not a model I have found yet.

I know every person that has lived in the house for the last 100 years and some of their jobs.

I know that between 1943 and 1956 the phone number for the house was Empire 5252.

I know that there was a small fire in one of the front rooms in 1957 and that there were permits taken out following that to update the house.

There is a tonne more but nothing that is really gripping.

Little has been done since really.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users