Photo

Greater Victoria Teachers Association

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#101 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

Good God no. We hauled them out after three years of that dreadful experience.

Well I personally found your statement absurd.

#102 mc9

mc9
  • 155 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:55 PM

I have been told by a TOC that TOC's are eligible for EI if they had worked enough hours that year. I believe it is because they technically get laid off for the summer.

#103 mc9

mc9
  • 155 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:57 PM

Though, I wonder how it would work seeing as it sounds like EI applications take so long to process. I wonder what the time frame is from application to getting paid, to the end of summer and back to work?

#104 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:24 PM

http://www.timescolo...8687/story.html

Reynolds Secondary teacher asserts right to cross picket lines

By MIKE HAGER, Postmedia News April 9, 2012

...Physics teacher Carl Ratsoy asked for protection from the B.C. Public School Employers’ Association and his colleagues at Saanich’s Reynolds Secondary School after a fiery email, penned by math teacher Matt Grinder, circulated among teachers there last week warning them not to cross any potential picket line...

Grinder’s email, dated April 4 and circulated to dozens of his fellow instructors, explains why he supports the B.C. Teachers’ Federation’s “action plan,” to be presented to 41,000 teachers for a vote April 17 and 18. In it, Grinder asks teachers to support an illegal strike and stay out of school until any fines for the job action are dropped by the government.

Grinder says any teacher who crosses the picket line would have to be a “real sociopath.”

“[Crossing the picket line] is wishing horrific fines on your fellow teachers,” Grinder wrote in the email. “I would keep my children away from you, cause you’re evil. And I’ll shout at you.”

Real class.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#105 PulpVictor

PulpVictor

PulpVictor

• Suspended User
  • 287 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 01:43 PM

And these are the folks who teach our impressionable children.

#106 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:02 PM

Poor grammar too.

“[Crossing the picket line] is wishing horrific fines on your fellow teachers,” Grinder wrote in the email. “I would keep my children away from you, cause you’re evil. And I’ll shout at you.”

That should read: 'cause.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#107 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:04 PM

Hey, he's a math teacher, you can't expect him to know English can you?
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#108 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:31 PM

Is that Physics teacher Carl Ratsoy the same person who stood as a candidate for the Liberals in 2009 against Maurine Karagianis? If so, what he's doing doesn't surprise me. I'm sure he's all for Bill 22... thumbs down.

(By the way, I'm not defending any of the rabid and ridiculous statements thrown out by those clearly more militant BCTF members. I refuse to generalise about teachers one way or the other.)
(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#109 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:39 AM

CUPE 382 has issued the following press release:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 2, 2017
Eliminating custodial positions bad for schools, bad for kids

At a recent presentation to CUPE 382 members, Greater Victoria School District Director of
Facilities, David Loveridge, introduced the elimination of a majority of "non-cleaning time" for
daytime custodians in all schools. This change will result in the elimination of 16 full-time
custodial positions with the cost savings used to hire trades personnel. Custodians already
have workload issues. This flawed plan has the potential to create unsafe schools as
cleanliness is paramount to student and staff health and well-being. With a projected increase
of up to 2000 students in the coming decade, this move seems counter-intuitive. In addition,
the Board of Education has recently hired five additional administrative positions that do not
work directly with students. How can the employer justify the elimination of front line custodial
positions, while at the same time increasing middle management? This decision makes no
sense.

For further information contact Fred Schmidt, CUPE 382 President, Jane Massy CUPE 947
President, or Jason Gammon, GVTA President

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#110 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:27 PM

Perhaps they could take a page out of the Japanese schoolbook, and ask the kids to clean up their own school on a rotating basis - they made the mess, after all...

• sebberry, weirdie and Love the rock like this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#111 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 March 2017 - 09:22 PM

Because eliminating cleaning staff has worked out so well for the hospitals...

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#112 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 09:27 PM

Because eliminating cleaning staff has worked out so well for the hospitals...

It's 16 positions.  Probably out of 125-150 or more.  40+ schools.  There may be some merit to it if we saw the entire report.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users