Photo

Pat Bay Highway (Highway 17) discussion

• Please log in to reply
399 replies to this topic

#241 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 06:01 PM

... as well as safety improvements at Cordova Bay Road that, once complete, will allow only right-in, right-out from this road.

I've driven out to Mattick's Farm a couple of times with visiting relatives and took the north bound Cordova Bay Rd. turnoff.  I also eyed the left turn configuration for coming back and thought it looked a little sketchy so decided to drive the extra couple of minutes to Sayward - easy and stress-free.  IMO, it's a good change.

Edited by Gary H, 10 August 2016 - 06:04 PM.

• malahatdrive likes this

#242 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 12:47 PM

The Ministry of Transportation has released a ride-along for the highway from 1966.

https://www.tranbc.c...sidney-in-1966/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#243 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 01:34 PM

The Ministry of Transportation has released a ride-along for the highway from 1966.

https://www.tranbc.c...sidney-in-1966/

One thing I noted: I am pretty sure the Carey Rd bridge over the Lochside was then the bridge for Hwy 17

#244 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 01:51 PM

One thing I noted: I am pretty sure the Carey Rd bridge over the Lochside was then the bridge for Hwy 17

The marking on the bridge indicates it was built in 1955, so certainly makes sense (along with the identical style of the bridge).

#245 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 August 2019 - 12:09 AM

It was.  Going south on 17 then took you down a bit of a hill to a T-junction with Hwy 1, pretty much below where the bike bridge is now.

This is why Douglas became Victoria's "Main Street" - both major highways fed into it from Town and Country (now Uptown) on in.

• Coreyburger likes this

#246 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 10:21 AM

A new flyover/overpass has been announced for the 17:

Investing in modern transportation infrastructure is critical to connecting communities, helping businesses compete, and creating a strong economy and middle class.

Jonathan Wilkinson, federal Minister of Fisheries, Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard, on behalf of François-Philippe Champagne, Minister of Infrastructure and Communities; and Lisa Beare, British Columbia’s Minister of Tourism, Arts and Culture, on behalf of Claire Trevena, B.C.’s Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure, have announced funding for a project to improve the Highway 17 corridor and create a new overpass at Keating Cross Road in Central Saanich.

The project involves a new flyover overpass from the Patricia Bay Highway (Highway 17) northbound to Keating Cross Road westbound, eliminating the left turn across highway traffic onto Keating Cross Road. The project will also include a realigned southbound on-ramp to Victoria.

These upgrades will allow vehicles to travel this busy corridor more safely and efficiently, helping keep local businesses competitive and promote regional economic growth.

The Government of Canada is investing more than $16 million in this project through the New Building Canada Fund, Provincial-Territorial Infrastructure Component—National and Regional Projects, while the District of Central Saanich is contributing $2.5 million. The provincial government’s contribution for the project is pending Treasury Board approval.

Quotes:

Jonathan Wilkinson, federal Minister of Fisheries, Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard, on behalf of François-Philippe Champagne, Minister of Infrastructure and Communities – “These improvements to Highway 17 will greatly alleviate the chronic congestion issues people experience daily on this busy regional transportation route. Creating more vehicle capacity and smoother traffic flow will allow people to spend less time on the road and more time at their destinations, supporting economic activity and a higher quality of life.”

Lisa Beare, B.C.’s Minister of Tourism, Arts and Culture, on behalf of Claire Trevena, Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure – “A new overpass will greatly improve safety at this busy intersection and will help prevent collisions. Our government looks forward to working with our federal partners and the District of Central Saanich as we launch the first phase of this important project.”

Quick Facts:

Through the Investing in Canada infrastructure plan, the Government of Canada is investing more than $180 billion over 12 years in public transit projects, green infrastructure, social infrastructure, trade and transportation routes, and Canada’s rural and northern communities.

More than $10.1 billion of this funding is supporting trade and transportation projects, including $5 billion available for investment through the Canada Infrastructure Bank.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#247 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 10:21 AM

A project only 40 years in the making.

#248 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 10:25 AM

Huge news. Here's hoping they eliminate the left turn onto East Saanich immediately after the Keating exit at the same time.

• Nparker, rjag, Cats4Hire and 1 other like this

#249 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 10:33 AM

Here's the drawing of this project from the Highway 17 Planning Study document. You can't really do much different than this, so I imagine this is the design they will use. Note that this is now the second project from that study that will be completed (first was eliminating access to Cordova Bay Road from Pat Bay southbound and vice versa).

keating.jpg

• Mike K. likes this

#250 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 10:40 AM

...Here's hoping they eliminate the left turn onto East Saanich immediately after the Keating exit at the same time.

The Tanner, northbound left turn should also be eliminated.

#251 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 10:45 AM

What’s shocking is the cost of this. $18.5 million already identified, and the provincial component is forthcoming.

Makes the $85 million McKenzie project look like a screaming deal.

Know it all.

#252 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 10:48 AM

The Tanner, northbound left turn should also be eliminated.

Absolutely agree. There's also the Old East intersection as well...far too many turn across traffic locations between Sayward and Island View.

I suspect though that Tanner will remain as is. At least that one has a bit better sight lines being on a straightaway. Curious if BC Transit will realign the 75 to Keating now that it'll be a bit safer route than Tanner. That might help spell the death of the Tanner intersection.

• rjag likes this

#253 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 26 August 2019 - 10:52 AM

Its probably just a coincidence that the CS Mayor Windsor is running for a Federal Liberal seat against a high profile incumbent.

I'm glad to see something finally happening here, I drove that route for 30 years 3-4x a day. Its very dangerous especially for tourists going to Butcharts. Everyone was calling for this to happen.

In fact one of the original design concepts was to close the Keating on ramp as well as East Saanich Rd and run a new 4 lane road at 45 degrees from the corner of Veyaness and Keating right through to Island View and make that a major flyover access/egress for the business park.

I stored the original design models for this as well as the Beacon Interchange that was supposed to have been built in the early 90's....probably at 25% of what it would cost today

Heres a link to the Audit report for the V.I.Highway Project where it discusses timelines and outcomes of why some stuff proceeded and others didnt

https://www.bcaudito...-and-design.pdf

Page 44-46 show the timelines etc

• Mike K. likes this

#254 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 26 August 2019 - 10:53 AM

Absolutely agree. There's also the Old East intersection as well...far too many turn across traffic locations between Sayward and Island View.

I suspect though that Tanner will remain as is. At least that one has a bit better sight lines being on a straightaway. Curious if BC Transit will realign the 75 to Keating now that it'll be a bit safer route than Tanner. That might help spell the death of the Tanner intersection.

Yup Tanner should be closed to Northbound highway turning onto it. It should be a simple southbound highway entry point

• Nparker likes this

#255 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 10:58 AM

Unless Tanner is closed off I doubt it. There's no other bus service for that neighborhood and the furthest south is a 20 minute walk according to Google Maps. Maybe if they add a little commuter bus around there or something.

#256 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 11:01 AM

...Maybe if they add a little commuter bus around there or something.

That's how the Tanner Ridge area should be serviced.

• Cats4Hire likes this

#257 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 August 2019 - 11:39 AM

All those little accesses along there - private driveways, minor roads, business entrances - need to be closed off somehow.  Full interchange at Sayward, full interchange at Island View, and no other access between them whatsoever except the Keating flyover.

It'd be a royal pain to realign the private driveways to access another road, and for a couple of businesses along there, to be sure...but it still needs doing.

• rjag likes this

#258 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 04:17 PM

This project has a significant contribution from Central Saanich, to the tune of about 10% of their annual operating budget. Curious if they have been given any reassurance by businesses (i.e. Costco) as to development as a result of this investment.

#259 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,598 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 04:43 PM

Like everything else here this is 30 years overdue, but.....finally. Someone saw the light - and acted, thankfully, without resorting to the usual Victoria Solution, i.e. to "study" the matter further. Should've happened decades ago but thank gawd actual shovels will hit the ground.

Was (even a rough) time-frame to start part of the announcement, or is that being overly optimistic?

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#260 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 05:37 PM

I heard the shovels will hit the ground Spring 2021
  • AllseeingEye likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users