Photo

Sushi in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

#1 jaylow

jaylow
  • 188 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 11:19 AM

A Co-Woker of mine is looking for a buffet style place for sushi, he says they have some in vancouver, does anyone know of any in victoria?
Also, where is a good place to go in general?

#2 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 11:44 AM

The new sushi place under construction in the Kinemacolor Building at Pandora and Government apparently will have a little buffet choo-choo train going through the place.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#3 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 11:46 AM

Choo choo trains AND sushi???
Ooh, I'm there!

#4 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 11:50 AM

I wish we had boats here!

#5 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 11:56 AM

Its about time! It would be great if they could pair that restaurant with a Korean BBQ. They would make mad $$ if they did.

Im fairly certain that Victoria doesnt have buffet sushi. In Vancouver its not really "buffet" sushi, its called "All you can eat", and its made when you order it. (except at Tsunami, the boat place). Tsunami is okay, but the sushi does sit out for a while before you get to it, so its not always 100% fresh.

Anyways, I think its strange that although Victoria has the 2nd most restaurants per capita in NA, the multi-cultural selection of eateries is very sparse.

As for sushi in Victoria, the best place is still Japanese Village. Yes, its expensive, but the quality is much higher than anywhere else in the city.

#6 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 12:02 PM

Anyways, I think its strange that although Victoria has the 2nd most restaurants per capita in NA, the multi-cultural selection is very sparse.

Are we talking about the same Victoria? :D

What's missing or lacking?

#7 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 12:07 PM

Well, like I mentioned, All You Can Eat Sushi... its everywhere here in Vancouver. Sushi places cant make it in this city if they dont offer this.

Korean BBQ.. there used to be a place, but its long gone, isnt it? And Im talking about the little cookers in the middle of your table, where you cook the meat yourself.

How about African? And there are maybe three East indian restaurants in town. Also, Vietnamese Pho is huge over here but it hasnt really caught on in Vic.. there is the one place on Fort, but thats all Ive seen. And perhaps a nice Japanese restaurant that doesnt serve sushi. There is alot more to japanese cuisine than rice wrapped in nori. You would think that with the amount of restaurants in Vic, there would be alot more of these places.

I think that Victoria's fare is mainly made up of pub-style restaurants, the density of Chinese restaurants in Chinatown, tourist traps serving overpriced meals you can get nearly anywhere, and those trendy breakfast places.

If you want a good example of Victoria's restaurants.. just look at the restaurants mentioned in this forum. Its very euro-centric.

#8 Amanday

Amanday
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 12:08 PM

I think there's a place on Douglas towards mayfair that does all you can eat sushi.

#9 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 12:09 PM

Well like I said, its about time!

#10 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 12:09 PM

We need Lebanese and more Indian - ironically my two favourites.

#11 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 12:12 PM

Having the almost magical skills to operate a viable restaurant in Victoria is rare. Having superior knowlege of ethnic cooking and the skilled staff to prepare it is even rarer.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#12 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 12:14 PM

Having a more multicultural population would help.

#13 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 12:15 PM

I think there's a place on Douglas towards mayfair that does all you can eat sushi.

I went there once a few years ago. It was probably great, but with not eating fish (I know I'm in a sushi restaurant!) it was not so good spending $15 for kappa maki and tempura veggies all night long.

The pinnacle for me was Fuku further north on Douglas, which was AYCE but not buffet. I don't even want to think about the amount of agedashi I consumed in that place. It closed down in... 2000? 2001? It's still sushi, but I don't think they do AYCE. The best part is that you paid extra for anything you ordered but didn't eat.

#14 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 12:19 PM

The best part is that you paid extra for anything you ordered but didn't eat.

I could tell you some good stories on how we would hide that extra food, and avoid paying for it... :lol:

#15 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 12:59 PM

AYCE sushi: I guess there just isn't enough competition here yet for that to be necessary. I'd certainly like to see more of it, though. Yum!

Korean BBQ: Definitely gone, now a used car lot (?!). Not sure if the Korean place on Johnson is still there, it seems to flip every six months.

African: The Blue Nile is my favourite. I haven't been to the Ethiopian place in Cook St. Village in a long time. The Ethiopian place downtown is gone. Was there an Eritrean place?

East indian: Majaraja, Spice Jammer, Da Tandoor, Taj Mahal people retired, yes?

Pho: not my thing, dunno.

Japanese restaurant that doesn't serve sushi: Daidoco (yum); the new fresh noodle (can never remember the name) place serves sushi, but it isn't (obviously) their focus.

I know I'm not rattling off dozens of restaurants for each category. Having a high number of restaurants per capita doesn't mean we have a high number. Once you take away the chains and pubs, to me it seems pretty varied.

As for the restaurants listed in this forum: I think they're a reflection on the people using the forum, not what's out there. I certainly visit those restaurants more often than the ones listed above. However, the ones listed in the forum are also higher end restaurants that I think are more worthy of conversation. Victoria is definitely lacking higher end "multicultural" (or whatever) restaurants. We need something like Vij's. Tojo's. That kind of thing. Most of the above are perfectly fine, perfectly good, and reasonably priced places, but they're not Lure or Camille's. I mean, I like Majaraja, but it's because I go in, pay my $12 or whatever, and I know it's the same consistent quality and menu that they've always had... but there isn't much to talk about!

(Ha ha, is this Vibrant Victoria or eGullet?!)

#16 jaylow

jaylow
  • 188 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 02:42 PM

wow, thanks for all the info, very helpful

#17 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 03:03 PM

Its crazy how helpful the food forum is.. I think it may be the 2nd busiest forum on vibrant victoria!

#18 Amanday

Amanday
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 04:10 PM

hey, we've all gotta eat!

#19 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 17 November 2006 - 06:19 PM

The new sushi place under construction in the Kinemacolor Building at Pandora and Government apparently will have a little buffet choo-choo train going through the place.

I rode by tonight, and the dang thing was open! Or at least it looked like it, all the lights were on, and there appeared to be people inside.

As for Pho, what about that Vietnamese restaurant on Johnson just before the Juliet? I was under the impression from my Vietnamese friend that there were several such restaurants in town, but I could be mistaken. For a city Victoria's size I think our restaurant selection is pretty good, although there is certainly room for improvement. I think it will continue to get better as more people begin living downtown, the overall population increase in Greater Victoria, and hopefully increasing variety in the ethnic makeup of the city.

Btw, welcome to the forum Amanday.

#20 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 06:28 PM

My two favorite things in the world are trains and cheap sushi. WHERE and WHEN is this restaurant?!?!?!?!
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users