Photo

Sushi in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

#21 NMP

NMP
  • 134 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 07:32 PM

The new sushi place under construction in the Kinemacolor Building at Pandora and Government apparently will have a little buffet choo-choo train going through the place.

I've been to similar place in Winnipeg, called SushiTrain. Sounds like franchise. It was not phenomenal but pretty solid. And hey, nothing like little gimmickie train, so silly it's fun :)

#22 Amanday

Amanday
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 10:08 PM

Thanks, Zoomer.

#23 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 12:04 AM

anyone know when this place will be open? I've been searching for a downtown all you can eat place for ages. Best I've found is Koto, which really can fill me up to bursting for 10-15, so maybe that might as well be all you can eat if most of the other places cost 15 for all you can eat.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#24 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 12:09 AM

Daidoco is incredible. The art of Japanese food fetishism brought to local seasonal ingrediants. Wonderful!
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#25 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 06:51 PM

The Sushi Rock Cafe opened for business two nights ago (it's like Hard Rock Cafe, but with sushi, get it?) They open at five, and on Monday, if I recall correctly, they'll be open for lunch. There are signs in the window saying what's up with the hours, they still seem to be sorting that kind of thing out. It's on the Northwest corner of Pandora and Government, the space was a grocery store that moved one door North. They have Gene Simmons on the wall, so how can it be bad?

It is a very spacious room, when I walked by in the afternoon I thought they were still waiting for the tables to arrive. There's five or six four tops in the back, in the middle is a big island prep area, it seats 15-20. Around the island runs a train carrying plates of sushi. "Please Do Not Touch Train" say the signs, which is good because I was tempted. The plates are colour coded and run from $2.50 to $4.00, plus there is a side menu. They were very happy to have people ask for anything that wasn't currently on the train.

I don't eat meat, yet I love sushi -- they were very accommodating and made me up a few rolls that weren't on any menus, everything was well put together with very good presentation. I'm even stealing a few tricks, and I know my way around nori :-)

The music was great, but maybe not everyone appreciates the combination of sushi with Pennywise and Beastie Boys. The only thing I could possibly change is that the xmas parade was going by outside... it's still November.

#26 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 10:10 AM

I love the sushi train. I was back last night, had a great meal. Unfortunately didn't get to sit at the train, a huge group reserved it. Still great food, though, and fun times.

#27 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 10:41 AM

Sushi train is open???? Where about downtown is that address?

#28 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 11:06 AM

The new sushi place under construction in the Kinemacolor Building at Pandora and Government apparently will have a little buffet choo-choo train going through the place.

I rode by tonight, and the dang thing was open! Or at least it looked like it, all the lights were on, and there appeared to be people inside.

My two favorite things in the world are trains and cheap sushi. WHERE and WHEN is this restaurant?!?!?!?!

The Sushi Rock Cafe opened for business two nights ago (it's like Hard Rock Cafe, but with sushi, get it?) They open at five, and on Monday, if I recall correctly, they'll be open for lunch. There are signs in the window saying what's up with the hours, they still seem to be sorting that kind of thing out. It's on the Northwest corner of Pandora and Government, the space was a grocery store that moved one door North. They have Gene Simmons on the wall, so how can it be bad?

It is a very spacious room, when I walked by in the afternoon I thought they were still waiting for the tables to arrive. There's five or six four tops in the back, in the middle is a big island prep area, it seats 15-20. Around the island runs a train carrying plates of sushi. "Please Do Not Touch Train" say the signs, which is good because I was tempted. The plates are colour coded and run from $2.50 to $4.00, plus there is a side menu. They were very happy to have people ask for anything that wasn't currently on the train.

I don't eat meat, yet I love sushi -- they were very accommodating and made me up a few rolls that weren't on any menus, everything was well put together with very good presentation. I'm even stealing a few tricks, and I know my way around nori :-)

The music was great, but maybe not everyone appreciates the combination of sushi with Pennywise and Beastie Boys. The only thing I could possibly change is that the xmas parade was going by outside... it's still November.

Sushi train is open???? Where about downtown is that address?

Dude, what part of "Kinemacolor building at Government and Pandora" are you not getting? So go check it out!

:lol:

I went by there yesterday, and frankly it looks a bit tacky for what I assumed was going to be a fairly high-concept restaurant.

Here's the building earlier this summer:

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#29 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 12:16 PM

Sorry.. but when "sushi" and "trains" alone are mentioned my brain gets into a fog. When BOTh are mentioned I lose all ability to think and will just screem that someone pick me up and carry me to the sushi trains.

I will go there.. I will go there tonight. What's the price ? Well.. ok I see you listed the price. But for those $2-4 plates, are those normal sized orders, or like.. crazy half sized orders? Ah damn I was hoping it was all you could eat.

Wow, the "rock" part has almost canceled out the coolness of sushi and trains. What the hell are they trying for?? Oh well, I'll give it a chance. If it's cheap and good, I'll put up with terrible anoying music.

#30 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 12:53 PM

I'm not sure "high-concept restaurant" and sushi delivery by toy train are really compatible! It's a nice room, sparse, and cleanly set up. The train is fun, as is the huge inflatable xmas decoration. It's more karaoke bar than hushed Japanese restaurant.

I love the place, obviously. Chef is hilarious, the food is good, and a somewhat light dinner for two was $20 (then again, my first visit was dinner for one for $20, but I wanted to try as much as I could!).

#31 Amanday

Amanday
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 02:11 PM

Just got back from lunch there, spent $20 for two of us and am nice and full! The great thing is you can be in and out in under half an hour for lunch.

#32 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 02:36 PM

Never been there, but I'm already sick of the sushi train.

I want sushi boats.

#33 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 02:49 PM

Sushi boats!!!

#34 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 12:42 AM

ok, I just went to sushi-train, or as they strangly call it "Sushi rock cafe". They use the hard rock cafe logo and font and a sad attempt to their decor, I smell a lawsuit. They should just call it what it is, sushi train.

The prices seem good till you notice that each plate is only a HALF order of sushi, and in the end it comes out about the same price as any other affordable sushi place.

If I'm in a hurry I'll go here, but otherwise I get more bang for my buck and quality at Koto.

ha, when we came in I was telling me friends about how a train is the least reliable method of sushi-delivery due to the fact that it's prone to derailment and if one car derails, the whole train is gone. A corner with a grabby-kid mysteriously kept derailing all night. Each time was a 2-3 min ordeal as they got the train back on the track and running.

#35 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 07:22 AM

Perhaps monorail technology would have been more reliable.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#36 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 10:08 AM

Oops, maybe not.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#37 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 01:15 PM

I prefer sushi that is freshly made when I order it, and hasnt circled the restaurant ten times before I've even entered the building.

#38 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 02:33 PM

actually all the sushi there was pretty much made right away and gone within a pass or two.

#39 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 02:50 PM

I prefer sushi that isn't radioactive....

Police find radiation in sushi bar linked to spy

http://today.reuters... ... -topNews-6
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#40 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 02:59 PM

The British cured this guy and he is in hiding. As if he actually died. Don't you think it is weird that he is shown sick in his bed so much? Come on this was the prefect way to get him off the Russian's radar. Or perhaps I read too much Robert Ludlum.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users