Just got my hydro bill $983

• Please log in to reply
289 replies to this topic

#221 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:55 PM

^ Stages and zones are different. LJ might be asking about heating a living room and a bedroom, which the nest can not do without relays.......also not that practical to have electric heat being controlled by a thermostat that is not located in that room.

The "stages" are for heaters that might have two or three elements in it, all heating the same area, like electric backup in a heat pump. It is more about the time it takes to heat a zone. Really cold days might call for all elements to come on.

#222 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:22 AM

^ Stages and zones are different. LJ might be asking about heating a living room and a bedroom, which the nest can not do without relays.......also not that practical to have electric heat being controlled by a thermostat that is not located in that room.

Hence why I said it doesn't support multiple zones due to lacking support for external temperature sensors.

#223 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:59 AM

Hence why I said it doesn't support multiple zones due to lacking support for external temperature sensors.

Thanks I knew you had it right, I just didn't want LJ to go off course. Those are a heck of a good thermostat though. Smart as the dickens. Thanks for bringing it up.

#224 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:07 PM

Yes, I rethought what I wanted to do and the Nest would work fine, the next time one of my Honeywell's fails I will replace with one.

Those that are using them, do you have Generation 1 or 2?
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#225 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:20 PM

Yes, I rethought what I wanted to do and the Nest would work fine, the next time one of my Honeywell's fails I will replace with one.

Gen 1. Gen 2 was out but it wouldnt have made a difference for our simple system so I figured might as well save the difference. Internals are the same, software the same, gen 2 supports some more advanced systems.

#226 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:28 PM

By the way, another popular one is the Ecobee. Not as dead simple and streamlined as the Nest but more options and geekery. http://www.ecobee.com/

#227 arfenarf

arfenarf
  • 322 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:20 PM

Holy Doodle. Just spent about $2k putting insulation into the attic and walls of my 40's era home.

Guess what day the guys came and did it?

:)

#228 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:05 PM

Holy Doodle. Just spent about $2k putting insulation into the attic and walls of my 40's era home.

Guess what day the guys came and did it?

:)

Nice! Looks like payback on that is about 4-5 years. (based on saving 25kwh/day for half the year).

#229 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:49 AM

CBC has a story about a condo building in Burnaby that experienced overbilling and had no luck getting Hydro to admit anything was wrong until the media got involved.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ling-error.html

#230 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:42 AM

^ Great post Jill. Thank you for that. The bloody crooks.

#231 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:52 AM

^ Great post Jill. Thank you for that. The bloody crooks.

Look, it's definitely a big screw-up by BC Hydro, and they MUST put a better system in place than just telling people that "it's your fault... shut off your breakers..." etc.

But I still think that most people, including the "student" Sayed surely can do a little better detective work.

I mean, do the bills not show meter readings each month? Can the customer, and BC Hydro not both see that these bills were estimates in that they did not show the new ACTUAL meter readings?

By calling up that online gizmo that shows usage, could they both not see that there was no actual readings?

I mean, if my bill goes from $100 to $500, I'm going to do some math and see how that's possible, based on the appliances I have. Electrical usage is not that hard to figure out, a 100 watt light bulb uses .1 kwh. It's grade 8 or 9 math. (Must be, Sparky is an electrician! :1954_dancing:)
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#232 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:03 AM

^ Yes, but it's not that easy for some people to figure that out. I am sure that hydro gets a lot of calls saying their bill is too high. Rather than puking out a standard response to turn their thermostat down, why didn't they check the math themselves?

It should be easy for them to look up the account and tell the customer that they were estimating usage instead of measuring it.

#233 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 05:17 AM

^ Yes, but it's not that easy for some people to figure that out. I am sure that hydro gets a lot of calls saying their bill is too high. Rather than puking out a standard response to turn their thermostat down, why didn't they check the math themselves?

It should be easy for them to look up the account and tell the customer that they were estimating usage instead of measuring it.

I agree. Even though BCH gets all those calls, and 97% are whack-jobs with no basis for their "high-bill" claims, they must do better.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#234 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:04 AM

Heck, they should just print it right on the statement.
Or maybe if they can't turn on their damn meters they should lose the right to charge for electricity!

#235 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:03 AM

I agree. Even though BCH gets all those calls, and 97% are whack-jobs with no basis for their "high-bill" claims, they must do better.

I thought my bills were quite high but didn't question it (I trust government agencies :)).

2 Months ago I saw an annual adjustment for just over $1000 and figured it was for the overbilling.

#236 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:07 AM

I thought my bills were quite high but didn't question it (I trust government agencies :)).

2 Months ago I saw an annual adjustment for just over $1000 and figured it was for the overbilling.

The problem is that you're lending them money for free in the interim. If they want to collect extra money, they should be paying it back with interest if it was collected in error.

#237 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 07:26 PM

The problem is that you're lending them money for free in the interim. If they want to collect extra money, they should be paying it back with interest if it was collected in error.

And, of course, if they undercharged, you would be fine with paying them that same interest?
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#238 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:17 PM

And, of course, if they undercharged

Good one

#239 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:51 PM

I wonder what day I plugged the air conditioners in...

Also I wonder what's with that few days of zero consumption...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#240 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:12 PM

I wonder what day I plugged the air conditioners in...

Also I wonder what's with that few days of zero consumption...

Click on the day. it might say no data if the meter wasnt transmitting

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users