Just got my hydro bill $983

• Please log in to reply
289 replies to this topic

#81 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:06 PM

From what I've heard, PVR's and digital television boxes consume A LOT of energy.

For those who have experienced higher bills and increased energy use compared to the previous one or two years, perhaps it has something to do with adding a PVR and digital boxes to your home?

Source 1, Source 2.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#82 maniac78

maniac78
  • 271 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:19 PM

I have one small baseboard heater in my bedroom that gets used. Only at night and it's on a programmable thermostat. Gets very little use.

Hot water is a gas boiler shared by the whole condo building.

I'm also surprised that I got bumped up into the second tier for billing. I thought it was supposed to penalize energy hogs? If it's that easy for me to get into the second tier I can't see how a family of two, three, four has any hope of saving energy.

I have never ever seen a bill under the second tier since I live in a house. I can't imagine what kind of bills people up north would see.

#83 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:56 PM

Time of use billing becomes much easier with major appliances that can be time delayed such as a dishwasher or washing machine.

I also look around home houses have all manner of stuff on all the time. The constant draw is becoming a significant factor and short of making in financially painful for people, actions are unlikely to change. BC Hydro has spent a lot of money trying to get people turn off lights they do not need.

It would be nice if all offices have to shut off all their lighting all their computer systems overnight.

#84 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:00 PM

Do smart meters allow you to login in to BC Hydro's website and see what devices or appliances are drawing power, when and how much?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#85 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:06 PM

Do smart meters allow you to login in to BC Hydro's website and see what devices or appliances are drawing power, when and how much?

eventually when the smart grid is in place you will be able to monitor your power use online but not in real time. The smart meters do not submit ongoing live data. The update from time to time.

As to which devices, there is no way the meter can know what is on. That would only be possible if the appliance of device in question were smart itself and could communicate it's status.

#86 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:11 PM

Ok, thanks. For some reason I assumed that the smart meters knew what type of appliance was drawing the power.

Know it all.

#87 skeptic

skeptic
  • 387 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:21 PM

Ok, thanks. For some reason I assumed that the smart meters knew what type of appliance was drawing the power.

That is because the smart meter opponents are spreading misinformation, such as smart meters being an invasion of your privacy because the hydro staff will be sitting around studying what appliances you are running. "Oh look, that VV guy just plugged his electric toothbrush in. Make a note of that in the log!"

#88 pseudotsuga

pseudotsuga
  • 287 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:24 PM

Ha! Some reason = media coverage of bizarre paranoia.

I just downloaded my usage stats for the time period available - since Sept22 2010. For this years Dec22-Jan22 period I was at daily average 122kWh. No other month even comes close. Most winter months are around 81-89kWh/day. Very strange. For the most part my usage has trended down.

Was January that cold? Perhaps I left a door open for a week?!

edit - I think it may average out. Just a weird spike due to when the meter was actually checked.

#89 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:44 PM

That is because the smart meter opponents are spreading misinformation, such as smart meters being an invasion of your privacy because the hydro staff will be sitting around studying what appliances you are running. "Oh look, that VV guy just plugged his electric toothbrush in. Make a note of that in the log!"

:) That must be it.

Know it all.

#90 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:11 PM

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I was growing a little suspicious about my smart meter. It wasn't one big clue, just a culmination of a lot of little things. My room-mate was paying more attention to her looks, getting her hair done more often. And she seemed to be wearing a new perfume more often, even on school nights. And she was watching her weight more so than I'd ever noticed.

So on a hunch, I left work early one day. I didn't log out of my work computer, and I left my cellphone in my office. This way the smart meter at work would be hard-pressed to know I left, unless it was one with the face-recognition software upgrade.

Anyway, I drove home, but left the car almost a block away, so my smart meter wouldn't be able to sense my smart car arriving. I snuck around to the back door, so my smart doorbell couldn't smell me. As I passed the place where the smart meter was installed, there was a blank plug where it should have been:

I snuck up the stairs, then threw open my room-mates door:

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#91 selector

selector
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:23 PM

Be sure to turn the switch off on the way out...it's the big one that say's 200
:mad:

#92 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:25 PM

^^Daaaammmnnn, VHF....those conspiracy theorists are right--smart meters are evil and they will screw with you.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#93 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:38 PM

How do you think Google and other online services make their money? There's a lot of money in information ;)

When the smart meters are in and people start buying appliances that come standard with "smart" bits in them, you can bet that this information will be collected.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#94 selector

selector
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:50 PM

Ok six of these guy's make very close to 500k per year...one of them clears 1,000,000 per year.
http://www.bchydro.c...sation_2011.pdf
:mad:

#95 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:17 PM

Time of use billing becomes much easier with major appliances that can be time delayed such as a dishwasher or washing machine.

I also look around home houses have all manner of stuff on all the time. The constant draw is becoming a significant factor and short of making in financially painful for people, actions are unlikely to change. BC Hydro has spent a lot of money trying to get people turn off lights they do not need.

It would be nice if all offices have to shut off all their lighting all their computer systems overnight.

When we were away on a trip we unplugged everything we possibly could, so that just the essentials were running, all tv's unplugged, pvr's, radios. everything we could possibly find.

Two month saving $20, 4 hours labour to get everything up and running again.
Wont bother doing that again. We zoomed way past the first tier and the only electricity we were drawing would be for the heat pump. (heat set to maintain 65f)
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#96 selector

selector
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:28 PM

They asked me if I had a heat pump as they are very expensive to run.
I thought these were supposed to be the cheap latest and greatest heating solution?

#97 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:37 PM

No kidding, I thought heat pumps were much more economical to operate.

Know it all.

#98 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:48 PM

I must redo my math to see if it is worthwhile to use my gas fireplace instead of the electric heat. Last time I checked, it was about even.

#99 skeptic

skeptic
  • 387 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:29 PM

They asked me if I had a heat pump as they are very expensive to run.
I thought these were supposed to be the cheap latest and greatest heating solution?

Heat pumps are air conditioners that run in reverse to generate heat. You can expect them to heat at the same cost as they cool. Gas heat and hot water has always been cheaper as far as I know.

#100 selector

selector
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

^^^so...very expensive to operate then.
heat pumps, that is.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users