Photo

Just got my hydro bill $983

• Please log in to reply
289 replies to this topic

#101 arfenarf

arfenarf
  • 322 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:00 AM

Heat pumps are air conditioners that run in reverse to generate heat. You can expect them to heat at the same cost as they cool. Gas heat and hot water has always been cheaper as far as I know.

Is there a calculator that would help me decide whether it would be better to substitute electric space heaters (on timers) for the 40-year-old oil burner in this ancient drafty house I just rented?

I have nightmares of dollar bills going up in smoke every time I hear the old dragon fire up in the crawlspace.

(Yes, I will be blowing insulation into the attic, blocking the chimney, and shrink-wrapping the windows)

#102 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:18 AM

Is there a calculator that would help me decide whether it would be better to substitute electric space heaters (on timers) for the 40-year-old oil burner in this ancient drafty house I just rented?

I have nightmares of dollar bills going up in smoke every time I hear the old dragon fire up in the crawlspace.

(Yes, I will be blowing insulation into the attic, blocking the chimney, and shrink-wrapping the windows)

Can you blow insulation into the walls, too? If you're in an ancient, drafty house, then likely you don't have wall insulation. Switching to electric baseboard is a great way to heat...the outside. Look into wall insulation and then oil/liquid-filled baseboard heaters.

Also, have you considered a natural gas furnace?

#103 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:48 AM

Heat pumps are air conditioners that run in reverse to generate heat. You can expect them to heat at the same cost as they cool. Gas heat and hot water has always been cheaper as far as I know.

Heats pumps can operate just like an air conditioner, they can also be much more efficient if they are geothermal. The current cost benefit analysis of a geothermal heat pump is marginally beneficial in the Victoria area. It all depends on the capital costs to install. In my case it would involve a lot of drilling into rock and would not pay for itself anytime soon

#104 maniac78

maniac78
  • 271 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:43 AM

They asked me if I had a heat pump as they are very expensive to run.
I thought these were supposed to be the cheap latest and greatest heating solution?

I think they mean you will spend more on hydro if you heat with a "heat pump" (or baseboards) than if you heat with gas. Remember that frontline CSR type staff deal with all kinds of people and I'm sure that's in their script because many people don't realise this simple observation.

#105 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:41 PM

The current cost benefit analysis of a geothermal heat pump is marginally beneficial in the Victoria area. It all depends on the capital costs to install. In my case it would involve a lot of drilling into rock and would not pay for itself anytime soon

Gerothermal might be more cost efficient for large buildings, or on a smaller scale, a new subdivision of homes sharing a central heat pump.

#106 arfenarf

arfenarf
  • 322 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:27 PM

Can you blow insulation into the walls, too? If you're in an ancient, drafty house, then likely you don't have wall insulation. Switching to electric baseboard is a great way to heat...the outside. Look into wall insulation and then oil/liquid-filled baseboard heaters.

Also, have you considered a natural gas furnace?

Thanks, Bob:

I'm looking at a relatively limited cost/benefit payback, as I'm renting. If (as reported) this thing burns 3000l of heating oil in a winter (heaven forfend), I'm going to be able to justify dropping a few hundred bucks into the attic. I'm probably overstepping the bounds of my tenancy agreement if I punch holes in the wall or swap the furnace. :)

That's why I'm thinking over whether I'm better off effectively mothballing the burner and adding strategically placed heaters instead.

#107 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:45 PM

Gerothermal might be more cost efficient for large buildings, or on a smaller scale, a new subdivision of homes sharing a central heat pump.

Geothermal is worth it for individual houses some of the time, it all depends on the geology. Also with a new house it is much easier to design it with the geothermal in mind and avoid a bunch of the costs.

Thanks, Bob:

I'm looking at a relatively limited cost/benefit payback, as I'm renting. If (as reported) this thing burns 3000l of heating oil in a winter (heaven forfend), I'm going to be able to justify dropping a few hundred bucks into the attic. I'm probably overstepping the bounds of my tenancy agreement if I punch holes in the wall or swap the furnace.

That's why I'm thinking over whether I'm better off effectively mothballing the burner and adding strategically placed heaters instead.

I used to rent a place and had an oil furnance. I found it was cheaper for me to use a number of oil filled electrical space heaters along with ensuring doors were closed to rooms not in use and accepting it getting cold over night. This may no longer make sense as power rates have gone up in the last five years.

#108 cakeman

cakeman
  • 216 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:47 PM

How many square feet on how many floors are you Arfenarf?

I rent the drafty main floor of a 100yr old house.. around 900sq ft .. all the walls have several large sash windows that you can feel anywhere from a little to a lot of air blowing in at most times.. and I usually do one tank of oil.. maybe one and a half a year.. 3000 sounds excessive..

Throw a programmable thermostat on there while your at it.. I have mine set to keep the house at 16c except for an hour in the morning and then from 5pm-9pm..

good luck,

cakes..

#109 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:22 PM

I live on the third floor of a 1960's building that has hot water heat, and it is included in my monthly rent. I do not have in-suite laundry, but have all the other electrical do-dads. I rarely have to turn the heat on.
The new meter has been installed in the meter room down in the basement, so I'm not concerned about whatever radiation might be escaping.

My $36.00 Hydro bill is basically the same as what I paid two years ago.

#110 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,140 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:48 PM

^ If there are balconies in this building....move over. :)

#111 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:10 PM

My $36.00 Hydro bill is basically the same as what I paid two years ago.

So that's what.. $18 per month?

Why is mine $40-50 p.m. then? :mad:

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#112 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:30 PM

So that's what.. $18 per month?

Yes. I do not leave my HDTV or my computer on. I am allowed to have a gas barbeque on the balcony, so I make frequent use of that. Laundry is about $16.00 pm, and the large machines are very efficient. Hot water is included, so no water tank to heat.

I'm one of those who believe in renting rather than owning.

#113 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:05 PM

Consumption at my condo has almost doubled but it may be my tenant's usage. Kilowatt hours used to be around 180 per month; $15 give or take, now it's up to around 280 kw/H...over $20. Heat and hot water are from gas. He must have the lights on all the time and a PVR running. I hate to jump on the conspiracy wagon and blame the meter.

#114 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,140 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:08 PM

Don't change a thing Bingo, us energy hogs can piss away more money on "juice" every month than we could do buying a car.

#115 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,140 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:11 PM

^^ Rob...change the terms of your rental agreement.

User pays.

#116 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,140 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:24 AM

B.C. Hydro seeks $1.35-billion upgrade to Campbell River power station

Read more: http://www.timescolo...l#ixzz1p4rg0zda

This is like trying to upgrade the fish ladder in Colquitz Creek.

Kiss your money goodbye people.

#117 arfenarf

arfenarf
  • 322 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:23 AM

How many square feet on how many floors are you Arfenarf?

I rent the drafty main floor of a 100yr old house.. around 900sq ft .. all the walls have several large sash windows that you can feel anywhere from a little to a lot of air blowing in at most times.. and I usually do one tank of oil.. maybe one and a half a year.. 3000 sounds excessive..

Throw a programmable thermostat on there while your at it.. I have mine set to keep the house at 16c except for an hour in the morning and then from 5pm-9pm..

good luck,

cakes..

Thanks for the advice and good wishes.

I'm heating about 1400 sf, which includes an attic space with a little baseboard heater. The programmable thermostat was the first thing to get installed when I got the keys at the new year.

I'll hold my breath and wait to see what the oil guys say after this next top-up (or fill, I suppose), and then make my next series of moves, whether to space heaters or more insulation or just getting more blankets.

#118 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:19 PM

I heard in the news that after receiving many complaints about increased power bills, BC Hydro has removed 1000 smart meters for testing.

#119 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:27 PM

Yes but if you believe their figure that they change out 40000 a year of the old ones, it's no big deal.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#120 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:03 PM

A neighbour has asked me to provide him with some photos of his smart meter. His tennants are complaining of high hydro bills.

Our meter wall has meters that read anywhere from ~3,000 kWh all the way to about 9,000 kWh of consumption since they were installed back in Sept.

I can't remember mine - I think it was showing about 3,500 kWh since installed. I can't imagine what you'd have to do to hit 9,000 in the same amount of time.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users