Atwal Affair and the BC Liberals

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:13 AM

Sparky led me to a blog authored by Alex G. Tsakumis, a political columnist who has held positions with a variety of BC media outlets throughout his long career.

His blog is acutely critical of the BC Liberals as of late, in particular over what Alex has dubbed the "Atwal Affair," which refers specifically to Jaspal Atwal, a top BC Liberal lieutenant and a major force behind Clark's leadership campaign given his uncanny ability to organize and mobilize groups of people.

Where things get interesting is that Jaspal Atwal has a long history of severe criminal activity. Here's a rundown reproduced from Alex's blog:

1985 – Charged, but acquitted, in the severe beating (with a tron pipe spiked with sharpened bolts) of then future Premier Ujjal Dosanjh.

1986 – On a desolate Vancouver Island road, attempts to kill a foreign dignitary visiting Canada.

1987 – Convicted of attempted murder of a visiting Punjabi Cabinet Minister. Sentenced to 20 years in jail.

1992 – Released after admitting during parole hearing that he was the shooter.

2002 – Became a suspect in a drive-by shooting at his brother’s house, at which point, his parole was revoked. As a result the Indian Government revoked his visitor’s visa to India. His parole was later reinstated, as he was never charged with the shooting.

2005 – He triggered an RCMP probe, when claiming that then Tory MP Gurmant Grewal asked him to write a donation out to Mr. Grewal personally.

2006 – Wished to travel to India, and sought help to get a new Indian visitor’s visa. He declined to contact his own MP in Fleetwood-Port Kells, Nina Grewal, because of the RCMP probe against her husband. Instead, he contacted by then Liberal MP Ujjal Dosanjh, however, Dosanjh felt that his ability to serve Atwal fairly was impaired by their history. Dosanjh referred Atwal to fellow Liberal MP Don Bell. Bell wasn’t made aware of the details of Atwal’s background with Dosanjh. In July 2006, Bell called the Indian consulate in Vancouver in an attempt to assist Atwal to obtain a new visitors visa.

2006 – Sues Vancouver Sun crime reporter Kim Bolan for defamation, after Bolan simply repeats in her column a judge’s conclusion, that the attempt on Punjabi Minister’s life was “an act of terrorism”–as quoted directly from the court transcript. A further objection is made by Atwal about Bolan’s characterization of him as an “attempted assassin.” The lawsuit goes nowhere.

2007 – Sued by ICBC of participating in an auto-theft scam. Ordered by BC Supreme Court Justice to pay hefty fine.

2010 – Active in Liberal Party of Canada as a strong Surrey supporter and organizer.

2011 – A top Indo-Canadian lieutenant of the Christy Clark leadership bid, demonstrating unusual and exemplary skill in organizing volunteers, gathering huge swaths of memberships and facilitating fluid, key donations.

2012 – Invited to attend budget speech as guest of Premier Christy Clark and her party.
Atwal is former member of the International Sikh Youth Federation–banned by British, Indian, Canadian and American terrorism legislation.

So here's what the "affair" is all about. A convicted criminal (charged with beating ex-Premier Ujjal Dosanjh and attempting to murder an Indian diplomat, no less) that is banned by his home country from ever returning, Atwal is in service to the BC Liberal's as a political organizer helping get large volumes of Indo-Canadians out to support the BC Liberals and most recently Christy Clark's leadership campaign. As a gesture of gratitude, he was invited to attend the Budget Speech Lockdown held recently at the Legislature. Given his criminal past, Liberal MLA's Kash Heed and Dave Hayer lodged complaints.

What is happening now is Christy Clark is dismissing Atwal as a nobody, claiming she does not know him and what he did for her and the party in general, meanwhile the fact remains that a hardened criminal has been operating as a major BC Liberal lieutenant for many years.

Given Clark's sudden dismissal of the man, Atwal is not surprisingly a very disgruntled fellow right about now.

In an open letter to Premier Christy Clark, Tsakumis asked the Premier to comment on Atwal's involvement with the party and his criminal past, and answer why the Premier is refusing to acknowledge that a member of the public invited to an important session at the Legislature and who prompted Liberal MLA's to file complaints, is all of a sudden an unknown supporter that apparently few of the Liberals, including Clark, are familiar with.

...I contend that Jaspal Atwal was one of your top Indo-Canadian lieutenants during your leadership campaign. I submit that he not only delivered what he said he would, but too, that Mr. Atwal did a SUPERB job bringing you overwhelming membership numbers and that he worked harder than anyone in his community to present his deliverables. As a campaign worker and operative in the Indo-Canadian community he did a masterful job for you–and he should be commended for this Premier.
Instead, you are trying to distance yourself from Mr. Atwal’s honourable work.

Why is that, Premier? Tell us.

Why is your office disrespecting this man by denying his intensive work?

Regardless of what Mr. Atwal may or may not have done in the past, he’s paid his debt to society and you used him for his extensive contacts and organizational talents during your campaign. Can’t we at least agree on that?
But now your office is denying this? Why would you do that, Premier? Why would you treat someone as valuable and loyal as Mr. Atwal like this?

Well, not because I’m feeling terribly charitable, but maybe because I actually feel pity for what you have done to yourself and this province, I’m going to reveal an extremely serious matter that the mainstream press CANNOT and WILL NOT ignore: sourced and confirmed already–just to put you out of your misery. It’s tough doing something you’ve been scheming to do since you were a young woman and discover when you get there that you don’t know what the hell you’re doing at all... Entire open letter.

Tsakumis is alleging that the mainstream media is sidestepping the issue. After initial inquiries by the MSM, a provincial staffer held a boozy meeting with media telling them there's no story here, and suddenly the issue dies down as far as the MSM is concerned.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:48 AM

The issue is very simple, every political party surrounds itself with people who can draw votes. The NDP and Conservatives are no different.

Many countries have a culture of bloc voting and all political parties target people who influence these groups. The easiest way to get your man or woman elected is through the party nomination or caucus process. Each time around you see parties bragging that they doubled or tripled the number of members in the weeks running up to the vote. The federal NDP is a recent example. You can bet your bottom dollar that one or more scumbags is in the background running the mass signups and that they will be rewarded with access or a job for their efforts by the successful candidate. It is how the game is played.

Good for Alex for outting Clark this time around although the story was covered in the National Post a few days ago. Clark distances herself as would any party leader and the game continues.

#3 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:29 AM

That's my new favourite non-MSM info outlet. Awesome.

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:04 PM

Good for Alex for outting Clark this time around although the story was covered in the National Post a few days ago. Clark distances herself as would any party leader and the game continues.

Tsakumis is responsible for taking the media's hand and feeding them the story. I haven't read the Post's coverage but it's about time something concise was reported (if one would call it that -- I don't know what they published compared to what Tsukanis has revealed). BC media certainly isn't keen on pursuing the issue.

The issue is very simple, every political party surrounds itself with people who can draw votes. The NDP and Conservatives are no different.

Absolutely, but does the NDP or Conservative government hire violent criminals to draw support? This isn't a third world country where we expect politicians to surround themselves with killers and silence the first sign of opposition. I won't go so far as to say the Liberal's have surrounded themselves with "tough guys," but it's a fact that they have at least one violent criminal in their ranks who has harmed and attempted to kill politically active individuals in the past.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:26 PM

Absolutely, but does the NDP or Conservative government hire violent criminals to draw support? This isn't a third world country where we expect politicians to surround themselves with killers and silence the first sign of opposition. I won't go so far as to say the Liberal's have surrounded themselves with "tough guys," but it's a fact that they have at least one violent criminal in their ranks who has harmed and attempted to kill politically active individuals in the past.

Was he HIRED to gather support, or did he volunteer? There's not much you can do to get rid of a guy that supports the party, gathers others to support, even if he is a bad guy. Especially when he's from an ethnic group, you try to shove him away and you risk alienating all the support he is gathering, and even worse, you might be branded as racist somehow.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:13 PM

Especially when he's from an ethnic group, you try to shove him away and you risk alienating all the support he is gathering, and even worse, you might be branded as racist somehow.

So what you're saying is Christy Clark and her supporters are willing to turn a blind eye to Atwal's attempted murder conviction and the vicious beating of Ujjal Dosanjh because he's a member of an ethnic community?

Atwal is chummy with the high ranking Liberal's, not just some supporter working on the fringes to drum up votes. He's attended a slew of Liberal gatherings, even got the invite for the lockdown which is what prompted Kash Heed and another Liberal MLA to formally complain -- likely a complaint for Atwal's ever increasing presence at party gatherings. Christy Clark and the Liberal's could have easily kept him at a distance -- and alienate him without alienating supporters -- had they chosen to.

Know it all.

#7 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:58 PM

These supporters don't get hired by the parties and the leaders intentionally keep themselves out of the picture so that when the inevitable complaints start they can deny any involvement. Christy Clark nor any other leader vets people who show up at meetings or lockups, it is done by their staff and they are the ones who run the crews.

Now you can argue that leaders should instruct their staff not to have any involvement in mass signups, robo-calling, vote blocs, etc. The unfortunate outcome will be that they don't ever get elected because the other "guy" will do it.

#8 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:53 PM

I have been following Alex's blog as well.

I though this was interesting:

Tsakumis CENSORED by CKNW’s Carly Nicol: Appearance for March 16th., 2011 CANCELLED!
http://alexgtsakumis...2011-cancelled/

I also received a phone call from Ian Koenigsfest, the Program Manager for CKNW, who apologized for the fact that I was missing Gina’s conference and the way I was treated. Again, unnecessary, as Koenigsfest and I get along very well. But this is the second time NW have had to apologize to me, as Tom Plasteras (who is also first class, like Koenigsfest), the Programming Head, called once not long ago to apologize for Bill Good taking successive runs at me on air (and not providing me the same opportunity–since I’d demolish him on his own program).
But what does this tell us?
That Nicol, who has given CKNW notice of her departure–freeing them from any further militancy of the bubblehead contingent, was upset I outed her pal Rebecca Scott and further revealed the obvious bias of their work through the purposeful apotheosis of Clark during the leadership. Bill Good, we all know, has been produced by both Scott and Nicol and has NEVER asked Clark any hard questions ever, often lobbing softballs. He also most certainly DID NOT treat any of Clark’s leadership rivals with such soft hands and pummeled the NDP leadership candidates when on.
This is journalism? This is balanced reporting? This is cutting edge radio? Instead of holding Clark’s feet to the fire people like Scott and Nicol were offering the Premier pedicures.

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:49 PM

These supporters don't get hired by the parties and the leaders intentionally keep themselves out of the picture so that when the inevitable complaints start they can deny any involvement. Christy Clark nor any other leader vets people who show up at meetings or lockups, it is done by their staff and they are the ones who run the crews.

Now you can argue that leaders should instruct their staff not to have any involvement in mass signups, robo-calling, vote blocs, etc. The unfortunate outcome will be that they don't ever get elected because the other "guy" will do it.

All true, but according to the allegations Atwal was no pencil pusher or cold caller. He seems like someone strongly connected with the Liberal party and a critical component of Clark's leadership campaign. The open letter linked above states:

2) That Jaspal Atwal did travel to Prince George to personally assist you [Clark] in gathering support for your leadership bid. Please also deny that Jaspal Atwal traveled to the Okanagan as an official organizer for your campaign. Will you also now deny that he was present in Nanaimo and other parts of Vancouver Island, where he was instrumental in collecting memberships, money and support. Please deny that Jaspal Atwal was a key player in bringing on board two major Indo power brokers to your campaign in Prem Vinning and former MLA Gulzar Cheema. Please confirm that your friend and former Liberal MP Sukh Dhaliwal (the fellow you are working to replace Stephanie Cadieux with) and Jaspal Atwal didn’t go to Abbotsford for a meeting to convince those other two fine gentlemen to leave Mike deJong’s campaign and join yours. Oh, please confirm that it didn’t precipitate a meeting of the minds between you and Mike deJong where a deal was cut for you to enjoy all his second votes. Please deny all that, Premier.
3) That during the leadership campaign, a prominent Chrisy Clark event was had at Pakistan House (on 88th and Scott Road–just down the way from the Khalsa Credit Union). Please deny that you did publicly thank Jaspal Atwal, who was also in attendance, for primarily organizing that event (among others). It was also hosted by Tariq Ghuman, your close friend, and the man you and your party threw under the bus yesterday. He is of Pakistani origin. Please deny all this.
4) That during the leadership contest, a rally was organized at a well-known body shop in Surrey, where you were seen hugging, greeting and thanking Jaspal Atwal, the organizer of that event.
5) That after you stole the leadership from Kevin Falcon (by your thugs stealing PIN numbers), you attended an extravaganza hosted at the Surrey home of your close friend, former Liberal MP Sukh Dhaliwal. Please also deny that the primary promoter of that event was Jaspal Atwal–who you again publicly thanked “for his tremendously hard work during the campaign.” Please deny now, that you did that in front of dozens of notable BC Liberals supporters (who have since spoken to me). Please deny this happened.

Atwal is clearly not a backbench rogue volunteer. He is a prominent figure in the Liberal machine, one of Clark's "lieutenants," as Tsakumis refers to him.

Know it all.

#10 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:07 PM

Is this the same Alex Tsakumis? If so, this guy has his fingers in a lot of pies!

http://scoutmagazine...bar-restaurant/

Matt.

#11 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:15 PM

Matt, the Tsakumis involved in Q4 and other eateries in Vancouver is Alex T Tsakumis, the nephew.

There may be some family issue(s) as I don't think they are that close.

#12 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:26 PM

Alex G. Tsakumis, the blogger, is a former chief of staff to the Zalm and has worked as a political consultant and analyst for the last two decades, including as the principal at Signal Hill Media. He was also a columnist at 24 Hours Vancouver. Definitely not the same as the restaurant guy.
(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#13 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:07 AM

I read the Scout article and wondered how many Alex Tsakumis' there could be in Vancouver. At least two, apparently!

Matt.

#14 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:24 AM

Alex G. Tsakumis is a very good read, if for no other reason than to offer up another viewpoint to the drivel that the mainstream media is spoonfeeding us. He makes me laugh, he makes me mad, but most of all he does inspire me to take note of the bigger political landscape around us.

It stikes me odd that a single blogger can come up with such important information, yet the MSM won't touch it. And the fact that they won't even acknowledge AGT's existence is troubling to me.

I wish his blog, and that of other blogger / journalists would be read by more people (everyone). A better informed / engaged electorate would certainly shake things up in this province.

#15 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:00 AM

^ Well said Lorenzo. His blog isn't for everyone, but I sure enjoy it.

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:25 AM

The mainstream media is in the ad business, not the news business.

That is the difference between bloggers like Tsakumis and the Times Colonist. One publishes real news that raises real issues, the other frets over what story will alienate which advertiser, and how to downplay alternative news sources while scouring them for source material.

Look at the lousy reporting on the Johnson Street Bridge. The TC's coverage reads like a press release from the City. Meanwhile Focus and JSB.org are investigating the situation, spending money on FOI requests, etc. It's the same situation with provincial politics. The TC has easy access to the Leg, meanwhile Public Eye Online and Tsakumis are bringing us actual political news, not a news ticker fed off of press releases.

Know it all.

#17 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:21 AM

^ Unfortunately Sean Holman threw in the towel.

http://www.publiceyeonline.com/

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:00 AM

Yeah, that was a sad day for real news coverage in this province.

Know it all.

#19 maniac78

maniac78
  • 271 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:05 PM

I think the love affair between the lamestream media and the premier's office is now over judging by today's events. That is unless we see some more staff changes.

#20 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:42 PM

The mainstream media is in the ad business, not the news business.

That is the difference between bloggers like Tsakumis and the Times Colonist. One publishes real news that raises real issues, the other frets over what story will alienate which advertiser, and how to downplay alternative news sources while scouring them for source material.

Look at the lousy reporting on the Johnson Street Bridge. The TC's coverage reads like a press release from the City. Meanwhile Focus and JSB.org are investigating the situation, spending money on FOI requests, etc. It's the same situation with provincial politics. The TC has easy access to the Leg, meanwhile Public Eye Online and Tsakumis are bringing us actual political news, not a news ticker fed off of press releases.

The higher profile bloggers aren't working for free. They are getting their salaries paid as well and one would be naive to believe that they are any less devoted to their paycheque.

If I had money and an agenda, it would be a lot easier and far less transparent to get a few bloggers to do the dirty work for me than trying to buy ads in the MSM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users