Code parties for the 25+ crowd

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:38 AM

So a bit of a new company is hosting parties outside of nightclubs for the 25+ crowd. Brink Events on Facebook.

The first three were held at the Maritime Museum, Criagdarroch Castle and the English Inn.

Douglas Magazine named the business one of the TOP 10 TO WATCH IN 2012.

The TC had an article last week.

I'm hoping to dust off an old suit to go the one at the end of this month (secret location). If I do, I'll post a review.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:34 PM

Props to Aidan Henry for pulling this off - it's clearly meeting a distinct (and well-heeled) market niche. Clever.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#3 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,155 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:57 PM

^^ VHF, a review would be delightful. Good luck with the suit.

#4 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:01 PM

Seems there is a market for those too old for Jaeger bombs at the nightclub but too young for the stuffed sole special at J.J. Morgan's.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#5 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,155 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:07 PM

^ There is a stuffed sole special?

#6 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:19 PM

@ sparky, lol!

Hey, on Brink Events' FB page I found a pointer to a NYC-based event designer, FETE. Holy moly, check out their website to get a sense of how veddy veddy luxe and utterly serious this business is. Interesting, that even in this recession, the luxury market is, apparently, thriving.

From FETE's "services" page:

Event Design

As event designers, it is our job to understand your vision and sense of style, then tailor-make an extraordinary environment just for you. We start your design with a floorplan, interpreting how a space will be used to best suit your needs. By the end, you will have a magical environment—rich in details and unexpected moments… one where your guests will never want to leave.

http://feteny.com/services

Ok, that's it. Who wants to join me in creating a business that designs "That Oceanic Feeling," you know - the one you had in the womb? I think there's a whole crowd of people out there willing to pay for that.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#7 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,783 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:36 PM

If I only had some dress shoes.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#8 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,516 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:56 PM

Interesting, that even in this recession, the luxury market is, apparently, thriving.

In this economy, the rich get richer...

Ok, that's it. Who wants to join me in creating a business that designs "That Oceanic Feeling," you know - the one you had in the womb? I think there's a whole crowd of people out there willing to pay for that.

Actually you're thinking of the ever popular college "Jello wrestling"

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#9 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:57 PM

^^ If only I had a dress! :P

^ Jello-wrestling, eh? Missed that trend (sadly!)...

#10 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,516 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:58 PM

^ There is a stuffed sole special?

Hey, I like stuffed sole! JJ Morgan's you say? I might have to check that place out, sounds hip. Or is that hip replacement? :confused:

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#11 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:27 PM

It's a great deal. When served with baked potato and steamed vegetables they have a guarantee: if you can't chew it, you don't pay.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#12 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,783 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:31 AM

In this economy, the rich get richer..."

I don't think these parties are for the rich....it appears to be moreso for people whom want to try something different. $70/tickets is not crazy expensive.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:46 AM

I don't think these parties are for the rich....it appears to be moreso for people whom want to try something different. $70/tickets is not crazy expensive.

It's less expensive than most fundraisers (maybe not after tax receipts) and it is certainly less boring, I'd say.

If someone could just bring back a Hugo's-type place, we'd be back in business for the better-dressed over-25 crowd.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#14 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,155 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:03 AM

I liked Hugo's

#15 Mark P

Mark P
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:29 AM

^ Agreed! That was a great place on the weekends. Plus I remember they made their own beer?

I'm really interested in these 25+ parties! I was losing hope that I would just solely be confined to pubs, since the last time I went to a 90210 night at Lucky the cliental seemed under 20.

But at 60-70 bucks, factoring in a few drinks, coat check and you have to pay cover at the nightclubs DT around 10 bucks. That knocks the price down to about 40? And you can't go wrong with a jazz combo/DJ... beats just playing Top 40

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,656 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:35 PM

I liked Hugo's

Me too. It was my favourite bar and there's nothing else quite like it at the moment anywhere in the region.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:39 PM

I have no inside information, but I'm guessing this CODE:Enigma is going to be held inside the CPR Steamship Terminal.

Can anyone confirm it is habitable for a "New York-style loft party" for 200? All necessary fire/safety systems in place and operational?

#18 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,155 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:01 PM

^ With some nice tunes, some wine, some appys, it could work.

It's a bit sparce inside, but isn't that a lofty trend?

#19 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:16 PM

^ Agreed! That was a great place on the weekends. Plus I remember they made their own beer?

the brewing equipment is now what Hoyne brewing is using.
Paving the way for beer bars on the island!

#20 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:26 PM

The guy said it would be a block and a half from the Atrium.

Perhaps it is the unoccupied two storey office building beside the Manhattan tower.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users