Photo

Metropolis Magazine: Idling Delivery Trucks

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 04:26 PM

The other day, while I walking over to the Oak Bay library, I noticed that a unloading delivery truck for the Penny Farthing Pub had blocked Theatre Lane. The truck driver was negotiating with a car driver that couldn't pass. I began to wonder about the congestion of delivery trucks in tight urban areas as we try to increase density and make these areas more pedestrian-friendly.

What struck me about the situation I saw was how big the delivery truck was (but he did manage to execute a breathtaking U-turn on Hampshire Road which was impressive). The truck was much larger than it could have been and clearly he had a full day of deliveries in the one truck. Is it better to have more smaller trucks or to have fewer big trucks that have to navigate narrowed streets (traffic calming, bike lanes and pedestrian refuges)? There's also the issue of noise and exhaust from idling cars and trucks (so much for alfresco dinning).

I stumbled on this article today which suggests that someone is trying to deal with the problem. Has anyone heard of anything being done in this town to reduce the delivery truck traffic?

Metropolis Magazine[/url:4c42e]]Getting the Goods, Not Choking on Them

In order to preserve their Old World charm, several European cities are making strides to transform their clogged city centers.

By Ted Smalley Bowen

Posted April 12, 2006

Four European cities have taken on a major rehabilitation effort: cutting the number of idling delivery trucks that jam historic districts. Countering this noisy and toxic assault on lungs and masonry would serve environmental, public health, and preservation goals. A recent European Commission pilot project in Siena, Italy; Lisbon, Portugal; Aalborg, Denmark; and Eindhoven, Netherlands addressed the logistics of moving goods into and out of perpetually clogged older districts.

The idea—known to bureaucrats and vendors as e-Commerce Enabled Demand Responsive Urban Logistics, or eDRUL, a project of the commission’s Information Society Technologies research program—complements restrictions on passenger vehicles like those instituted by Sienna, Lisbon, and London.

The scheme, coordinated with logistics software that runs over the Internet, stages deliveries at the periphery, routing the majority of the transfer of goods through freight hubs at the fringes of the cities. For example, officials could bar delivery trucks or vans from entering the restricted area if less than 60% of their cargo is bound for that city and send them instead to a satellite drop-off area, according to organizers of the pilot tests. For moving goods out of the central district, a similar approach can be applied to consumer traffic. For instance, shoppers who would normally drive into town could use a valet package delivery service that makes drop-offs at a lot operated by participating stores. Sienna has experimented with systems working in both directions and the city council is now looking to make them part of the official transportation plan.

The concept is amenable to both public and private initiatives, but a baseline of public sector participation is needed, according to Niels Agerholm, project manager in the technical department of the Danish city of Aalborg. In other words, the scheme would work for a group of private businesses that band together to restrict their collective deliveries, or for local governments that impose ordinances for the same purpose. Naturally, the former would require some coordination with the authorities. The pilot program put the Web-based control software through its paces in a variety of traffic control programs. Though it participated in the logistics project, Aalborg’s current center city plans call for tougher emissions standards rather than a ban on commercial vehicles, according to Agerholm.

The logistics and planning software for urban planners and development authorities will soon be available as an open source product. The Italian software company, Softeco Sismat , which created programs used in some of the trials, plans to release a commercial version.

A two-year EU-sponsored follow-on to eDRUL, dubbed Centre for Eco-Friendly City Freight Distribution (CEDM), began in November. The project, which looks at regulatory, organizational, and technical fixes to the urban logistics problem, will explore the use of green delivery fleets, among other measures.

#2 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 03:39 PM

I haven't forgotten this thread, trust me.

This ties into a lot of local issues--the loss or shrinkage of back alleys for deliveries (Castana), the loss of local distribution centres and wholesalers (most deliveries now come direct from Vancouver on giant tractor trailers).

What about the future? I think about someone ordering a single book or t-shirt online and a giant UPS truck drives over to their place to drop it off. How wasteful.

There are solutions. Like Funky says, smaller trucks should be encouraged. Like the Japanese imports shown in the other thread. I see a lot of these in Europe, especially in the old medieval towns where the streets are extremely narrow:

Piaggio mini-trucks--the big brother to the Vespa scooter.

I believe that truck could accomodate most deliveries in urban areas, with big trucks reserved for large items like furniture.

Idling trucks are a huge problem. Now that we have lots of mixed use buildings, giant trucks are parked outside residential buildings with their diesel engines running (often necessary to run the refrigeration units).
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#3 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 06:26 PM

Idling trucks are a huge problem. Now that we have lots of mixed use buildings, giant trucks are parked outside residential buildings with their diesel engines running (often necessary to run the refrigeration units).

Please don't forget to include the idling suv's outside the schools and the other facilities to which kids are chaufferred

#4 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 07:05 PM

Many cities ticket people if they let there vehicles idle I would be up for considering it.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#5 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 08:16 PM

In Switzerland it's illegal to idle more than 120 seconds. Two minutes, that's it. Arrive at a train crossing when the gate is down, turn off your engine. Simple.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 08:34 PM

In Switzerland it's illegal to idle more than 120 seconds. Two minutes, that's it. Arrive at a train crossing when the gate is down, turn off your engine. Simple.

Anyone remember this movei? I do:

Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry is a cult 1974 car chase film starring Peter Fonda, Susan George, Adam Roarke, and Vic Morrow. The film was directed by John Hough. The music score contains no incidental music, apart from the theme song over the opening and closing titles, and a small amount of music heard over the radio.

Spoiler warning: Plot and/or ending details follow.
The story deals with two would-be NASCAR hopefuls; the driver, Larry (Peter Fonda), and his mechanic, Deke (Adam Roarke), who successfully execute a supermarket heist to finance their jump into the big-time auto racing world, extorting $150,000 in cash from the supermarket manager (Roddy McDowall) by holding his wife and daughter hostage.

In making their escape, they are confronted by Larry's one-night stand, Mary (Susan George), who convinces them to take her along for the ride (under the threat of her blowing the whistle on them both). After the heist is reported to the Sheriff, Captain Franklin (Vic Morrow) obsessively sets out to capture the trio in a dragnet, only to find his patrol cars woefully inadequate to catch Larry, Mary and Deke in a high-performance 1969 Dodge Charger.

The trio evades several patrol cars, a high-performance police interceptor, and even Captain Franklin himself in a Bell JetRanger helicopter, before colliding with a freight train (at a crossing) in a shocking, totally unexpected ending.

Anyway, they didn't idle at any God damned train crossing...

Wow, Vic couldn't catch the gang in his helicopter, then in real life he was killed by one:

Morrow died on the set of Twilight Zone: The Movie while holding two small children (Myca Dinh Le and Renee Shin-Yi Chen). A helicopter being used on the set spun out of control and crashed, decapitating him and one of the children with its rotor blades.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#7 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 08:40 PM

What did they steal in the supermarket heist? Pancake mix? :shock:

Ack, you just posted your edit -- how horrible! I vaguely remember this story (the decapitation). Wasn't there some kind of change in m.o. for filming these kinds of scenes after this incident?
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#8 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 08:45 PM

Apparently, starting an engine uses up about the same amount of gas that an idling engine uses in ten seconds.

You see idiots leaving their cars idling outside convenience stores all the time.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#9 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 08:53 PM

Apparently, starting an engine uses up about the same amount of gas that an idling engine uses in ten seconds.

You see idiots leaving their cars idling outside convenience stores all the time.

My brother used to be a home delivery driver for Island Farms. They ran a two week test. Week one, do your route and turn off engine at every house. Week two, leave it running all day. It was decided that even with the extra hardship on the starter/battery and more frequent replacement, shutting off at every stop was more economical.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 09:26 PM

Delivery trucks idle to keep their refrigeration units or other electronics operating. And most of those trucks are diesels which consume far less fuel than their gas counterparts.

Sucks to have to listen to idling diesel engines, though.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 09:40 PM

Sucks to have to listen to idling diesel engines, though.

Sucks even more to have to suck it up through your nose. Some of us are highly allergic (as in asthma) to diesel exhaust, and I don't care how often you tell me it's been improved. When I smell a "SmartCar," for example (incidentally, still banned in the US, precisely because of the high amount of diesel exhaust), I want to gag...

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 10:04 PM

When I smell a "SmartCar," for example (incidentally, still banned in the US, precisely because of the high amount of diesel exhaust), I want to gag...

http://www.usatoday.... ... usat_x.htm

Two dealers who have received cars so far seem pleased.

In Phoenix, dealer Tim Day blames a rear-end auto accident in front of his 3D Auto Wholesalers dealership earlier this month on gawkers checking out the Smart cars that had arrived. He's gotten nine so far. He says he has deposits for more than 50 cars.

Bob Chauvin, who has two used car lots in Reno, says he sold the four Smart cars he's received and expects new shipments every week. Buyers are as far away as Florida.

"Everybody is crazy about these cars," he says. On a drive to Arizona, "Everybody on the road is waving at you. They think it's a hybrid or something."

#13 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 09:17 PM

I must get better about quoting people.
In chains by Keynes

#14 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 09:20 PM

The other day, while I walking over to the Oak Bay library, I noticed that a unloading delivery truck for the Penny Farthing Pub had blocked Theatre Lane. The truck driver was negotiating with a car driver that couldn't pass. I began to wonder about the congestion of delivery trucks in tight urban areas as we try to increase density and make these areas more pedestrian-friendly.

A little off topic, but I just couldn't help but derive amusement from the part about Theatre Lane in Oak Bay being considered a "tight urban area".
In chains by Keynes

#15 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:19 PM

You may have forgotten we have one... but The Capital Regional District is now ready to begin enforcement of its "anti-idling" by-law.

http://www.cfax1070....news&Itemid=155

So next time you wait three light changes to get through McKenzie and the Trans Canada, make sure you turn off your engine during the wait.

#16 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:53 PM

Ok, I'll start carrying a generator in my car to run the heater and A/C while waiting at the ferry terminal.

Come to think of it - all these small gas engined appliances (lawnmowers, leafblowers, weed-whackers, scooters, mopeds, etc...) all spew out a crapload of emissions, more than a new car does.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#17 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:42 PM

CFAX news poll today:

Do you support the CRD's ban on idling vehicles?

Yes 136
No 186

Total 322

Maybe the ecomentalists are sleeping in today, or their solar powered computers didn't work with all the clouds.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#18 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 10:08 PM

A Downtown resident contacted me about idling tour buses outside Sugar nightclub. The problem is that in the evening, bylaw enforcement has gone home and the cops have more pressing issues to deal with. A formal written complaint can be made but it goes to the vehicle, not the host venue, and by then the bus is long gone, perhaps out of the country. I then learned the Prevost buses have auxiliary generators that can run all night and because they apparently aren't part of the main engine system they are exempt from the idling bylaw.

Edited by Rob Randall, 07 November 2014 - 10:08 PM.

#19 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 06:32 AM

Yeah but they aren't exempt from the noise bylaw. Those buses can be really loud.

#20 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 10:35 AM

Reefer units on trucks are also noise makers in residential neighborhoods. Even though the engine may be off a parked truck will start rumbling every 20-30 minutes, especially on a warm day.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users