Len Barrie's legal problems (part 2)

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#41 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:57 PM

If it were my son, I'd risk a night in jail to see him play his first game, or score his first goal in the NHL...

If I were the son, I'm not sure how I would feel about my dad after that.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#42 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:55 PM

The verdict: not guilty.

I don't know why the CRA bothered; they had a weak case over a relatively minor issue.

#43 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:44 AM

The verdict: not guilty.

I don't know why the CRA bothered; they had a weak case over a relatively minor issue.

That's not the way the CRA operates. They take everything to court, and they strive for maximum publicity on every case, as a deterrent to others.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#44 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:44 AM

That's not the way the CRA operates. They take everything to court, and they strive for maximum publicity on every case, as a deterrent to others.

I must say that Len Barrie really took the high road when interviewed by the TC. Certainly sounds like there was not a lot of merit to the case but Len came across very professionally.

#45 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:48 AM

I guess a certain person who has a 'hate-on' for Len and posts here must be really pi$$ed off right now!!!

#46 mysage

mysage
  • 515 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:16 AM

I guess a certain person who has a 'hate-on' for Len and posts here must be really pi$$ed off right now!!!

Now, now, as none of us were there for the proceedings and eventual decision I am sure that we can rely on her to provide us with a breathless recap of the drama. After all, according to her recent post, as other than the media, it was "just me and my friends" who were there to witness the carnage. Thank goodness for that. I am sure we are all on the edge of our seats awaiting her reporting of those actual facts.

#47 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:25 AM

I must say that Len Barrie really took the high road when interviewed by the TC. Certainly sounds like there was not a lot of merit to the case but Len came across very professionally.

Agreed.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#48 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:34 AM

Asking price plunges for Len Barrie’s former home on Bear Mountain

The luxury mansion built for Bear Mountain developer Len Barrie is back on the market at less than half of last year’s asking price. [...]

http://www.timescolo...untain-1.320088

#49 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:37 AM

I think Zoe should buy it

#50 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:03 AM

It's a steal!

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#51 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:05 PM

Rumour is that Len Barrie is going to make an offer to buy back his house!

#52 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:11 PM

Rumour is that Len Barrie is going to make an offer to buy back his house!

That's not likely allowed. Depending on how the ownership was previously structured - no judge will allow it (him to have personal title) and unless he is backed by private financing, he won't get a mortgage.

He CAN buy it privately after the new court ordered sale.

#53 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:21 PM

The mind boggles as to why any house requires 10 bathrooms....were the Barrie children all teenaged girls, and did he have 14 of them? Did he have one specially constructed where he set up his model train sets with the idea that no one would dare burst in and bother him in there? Were there different themes like the "English Rose Garden Bathroom", the "Italian Job Bathroom", the "Chinese Heavenly Gate Bathroom", the "Japanese Samurai Bathroom" or a Monty-Pythonesqe "The Meaning of Life" bathroom? One could only imagine what might have transpired in the latter.

#54 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:27 PM

The mind boggles as to why any house requires 10 bathrooms.....

Hahaha I'm sure you could find a use for them ASE!!!!:muching_out:

#55 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:36 PM

Hahaha I'm sure you could find a use for them ASE!!!!:muching_out:

Verily sir I am wounded. A pox upon you: may a flock of seagulls one million strong and with chronically weak bladders, fly directly above your auto "fleet" up there in the wilds of deep Oak Bay, and then do what seagulls do best. But yah, ok, you got me good...:cheers:

#56 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:33 PM

The mind boggles as to why any house requires 10 bathrooms....were the Barrie children all teenaged girls, and did he have 14 of them? Did he have one specially constructed where he set up his model train sets with the idea that no one would dare burst in and bother him in there? Were there different themes like the "English Rose Garden Bathroom", the "Italian Job Bathroom", the "Chinese Heavenly Gate Bathroom", the "Japanese Samurai Bathroom" or a Monty-Pythonesqe "The Meaning of Life" bathroom? One could only imagine what might have transpired in the latter.

No, they are all just normal, expensive bathrooms. The master is pretty spectacular though. Only one daughter and she didn't live there much.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#57 baconnbits

baconnbits
  • 235 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:47 PM

That's not likely allowed. Depending on how the ownership was previously structured - no judge will allow it (him to have personal title) and unless he is backed by private financing, he won't get a mortgage.

He CAN buy it privately after the new court ordered sale.

ya if he had the money to buy it, then the courts would take that money presumably to settle other debts.

can't see how he could buy it out of a court ordered sale without raising a few eyebrows!

#58 Zoe

Zoe
  • 282 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:22 PM

You heard it here first: Len Barrie will plead guilty to 4 counts of *ahem* NOT tax evasion on October 11.

#59 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:01 PM

Crown says no criminal charges are going to happen.

#60 mysage

mysage
  • 515 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:29 PM

Crown says no criminal charges are going to happen.

Well that is certainly going to dissapoint some of the radical fringe around here who are sure that Len Barrie has to be gulity because they have invested hours and hours in that theory! Must be a cover up! To the streets!

• bluefox likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users