• 5,983 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 02:53 PM

I hesitated to post this: https://youtu.be/dwRt74nzRmY

#3342 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 2,406 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 December 2018 - 03:23 PM

Or the guy could buy a Yeti Lithium 1000, and be good for a few days without AC power or a gas generator ... you know, like I've done.

But back to your story though Mike - the power would come back on, and the guy would go to get in his car to go get some much needed groceries and medicine for his kids ... only to find out he not only had a dead battery, but that it was also completely ruined, and he would have to purchase a brand new one - for about the same cost as the Yeti 400 he could have bought in the first place!

Edited by Cassidy, 29 December 2018 - 03:23 PM.

#3343 todd

todd
  • 5,983 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 03:30 PM

Lazy.

#3344 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,219 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 03:32 PM

Luckily for his kid’s sake the guy knew how to start the motor while drawing power for the house, and everyone lived happily ever after.
  • Cassidy likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3345 todd

todd
  • 5,983 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 07:55 PM

Luckily for his kid’s sake the guy knew how to start the motor while drawing power for the house, and everyone lived happily ever after.

Didn’t his car cause the storm?
  • tjv and Victoria Watcher like this

#3346 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,219 posts

Posted 29 December 2018 - 09:08 PM

Quiet, octopus.
  • Redd42 likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3347 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,219 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 09:26 AM

Rainfall amounts of 100 to 150mm are forecasted for Vancouver Island. On the south end of the Island the Sooke Hills will be most impacted as well as the hills above the highway 14 corridor between Sooke and Port Renfrew. Heavy rains could also reach the Malahat Corridor. The system is expected to run its course over the next 48 hours.

Know it all.

#3348 lanforod

lanforod
  • 7,080 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 02 January 2019 - 10:13 AM

Sure beats the blizzard hitting Newfoundland right now.

#3349 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,417 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 11:04 PM

110% chance of rain

#3350 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,417 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 08:17 PM

Today was the nicest of the year in my opinion...

...I can't wait for tomorrow.

• rjag likes this

#3351 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,793 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:37 PM

Today was the nicest of the year in my opinion...

...I can't wait for tomorrow.

....oh yeah, me either! Let's see I have from 7-8am to myself in the gym then from ~ 8:15 to who-knows-when the job jar currently includes but is not limited to:

- packing away all the Christmas tree ornaments and associated living room decorations including 3 foot tall nutcracker, 3 foot tall polar bear with lantern, various and sundry Christmas reindeer, leaded crystal snow-ball, various end table top lighted model Christmas Taverns, Houses, Snowmen and Santa's Elfs, etcetera etcertera...

- taking down and packing into its original box the 7.5 foot Christmas tree

- taking down all outside lights, associated extension cords and related paraphernalia such as laser light units

- putting all of the above into storage in the crawl space below the house (a real treat when you're 58 with a wrenched back and sore knees)

- puling anything from aforementioned crawl space that could go to local recycling and loading the back of Mrs ASE's truck; ditto for the garden shed, to ensure we have a full load of recyclables. Proceed to aforementioned recycling facility, pay fee, empty truck, proceed home to next task....

..............which is to wipe and clean down the walls and ceiling of the vacated second upstairs bedroom, courtesy of the recently moved out daughter, and when dry spackle the approximately 300 push pin holes in all four walls (also courtesy of the same daughter, which mostly occurred during her "One Direction" boy band poster phase).

*Volunteers to assist gratefully appreciated: feel free to PM me Sparky and I'll send you my address. There will be a half bottle of warm beer in it for you. If not feel free to post pictures of you lounging on your deck drinking up the sunshine, which will be as close as I get to it....

#3352 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,417 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:22 AM

Ok tomorrow arrived today and it's glorious. Caught this on my way to the shooting range this morning. Today HAS to be the nicest day of the year. Sunny with a high of 10 in Saanich in the second week of January...Priceless. 

I think I might retire here.

IMG_6307.JPG

• Nparker, sebberry and todd like this

#3353 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,174 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:53 AM

I went and took a stroll around Thetis Lake this morning.  The parking lot was packed by the time I left around 10. No wonder!

IMG_0758.jpeg

• Nparker, Sparky, sdwright.vic and 1 other like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#3354 Nparker

Nparker
  • 22,857 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 04:12 PM

The good kind of "June-uary". Saxe Point Park this afternoon.

Saxe Point Jan 13 2019.jpg

• sdwright.vic likes this

#3355 LJ

LJ
  • 8,875 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 07:49 PM

....oh yeah, me either! Let's see I have from 7-8am to myself in the gym then from ~ 8:15 to who-knows-when the job jar currently includes but is not limited to:

- packing away all the Christmas tree ornaments and associated living room decorations including 3 foot tall nutcracker, 3 foot tall polar bear with lantern, various and sundry Christmas reindeer, leaded crystal snow-ball, various end table top lighted model Christmas Taverns, Houses, Snowmen and Santa's Elfs, etcetera etcertera...

- taking down and packing into its original box the 7.5 foot Christmas tree

- taking down all outside lights, associated extension cords and related paraphernalia such as laser light units

- putting all of the above into storage in the crawl space below the house (a real treat when you're 58 with a wrenched back and sore knees)

- puling anything from aforementioned crawl space that could go to local recycling and loading the back of Mrs ASE's truck; ditto for the garden shed, to ensure we have a full load of recyclables. Proceed to aforementioned recycling facility, pay fee, empty truck, proceed home to next task....

..............which is to wipe and clean down the walls and ceiling of the vacated second upstairs bedroom, courtesy of the recently moved out daughter, and when dry spackle the approximately 300 push pin holes in all four walls (also courtesy of the same daughter, which mostly occurred during her "One Direction" boy band poster phase).

*Volunteers to assist gratefully appreciated: feel free to PM me Sparky and I'll send you my address. There will be a half bottle of warm beer in it for you. If not feel free to post pictures of you lounging on your deck drinking up the sunshine, which will be as close as I get to it....

Maybe Ben will come over and help you.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3356 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,793 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 13 January 2019 - 09:44 PM

Maybe Ben will come over and help you.

Naw...the employer, in this case me, wasn't giving anything away for free, or enabling any sort of dependency, nor enshrining in a binding contract the idea of labor 'seniority' or "x" number of breaks: actual, quantifiable objectives in the form of real work had to be outlined in advance, meticulously planned and ultimately achieved - which all flies in the face of good social "progressive" like Ben who I'm sure would've preferred to piffle away the day plotting some form of social engineering at the expense of actually getting something accomplished...

#3357 LJ

LJ
  • 8,875 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:59 PM

Naw...the employer, in this case me, wasn't giving anything away for free, or enabling any sort of dependency, nor enshrining in a binding contract the idea of labor 'seniority' or "x" number of breaks: actual, quantifiable objectives in the form of real work had to be outlined in advance, meticulously planned and ultimately achieved - which all flies in the face of good social "progressive" like Ben who I'm sure would've preferred to piffle away the day plotting some form of social engineering at the expense of actually getting something accomplished...

Oh, I thought he might be interested just to get all those nasty Christmas decorations out of sight.

• AllseeingEye likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3358 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,219 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 09:33 PM

The Capital Region could see the white stuff as early as Sunday with snowfalls possible into late next week.

Temps are expected to dip to below zero on Sunday and remain lower than the recent trend for several days.

Know it all.

#3359 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 12:15 AM

Cold as balls on salt spring. Would not be surprised to see snow this week, at least on the hills.

My wife left for work in Victoria this morning around 8:45, heard her scraping her windshield. Guess she didn’t park far enough under the garage.

When I left for work around two, most of the property was still frosty as far as I could see. Glad someone lit the fireplace before I got up.

Matt.

#3360 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 245 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 12:06 PM

Polar Vortex is more attractive than eastern Canada would have us believe.  :P

9169050-0-image-a-30_1548844852118.jpg

• LJ likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users