Extreme Victoria weather events & general weather chat

• Please log in to reply
3815 replies to this topic

#3801 rjag

rjag
  • 5,180 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 20 August 2019 - 07:52 AM

Europe gets its heat from Saharan Africa. Their weather patterns are not related to ours.

Europe doesn’t just get suddenly “hot,” typically wind patterns will shift and heat from the desert travels unimpeded across the Mediterranean and eventually settles over mainland Europe. The continent is literally surrounded along its south and east by some of the hottest jurisdictions on earth. You expect that to affect European climate, including that of the warm Mediterranean regions themselves.

Yup, my wife was over in London 3 weeks ago visiting our daughter, it was 37 and at night went down to maybe 25...thats really frigging hot for a place like London that has minimal A/C plus all those stone buildings.

Its not unusual for places like that to hit the mid 30's, heck the summer of '76 saw London hit above 30 for 15 days running and in some spots there was a 5 day run above 35

I think this summer in Victoria has been pretty normal, a few days of rain, some warm days but on average its been a non-eventful and nice summer

• Nparker and Hotel Mike like this

#3802 FogPub

FogPub
  • 303 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 August 2019 - 01:27 PM

Europe gets its heat from Saharan Africa. Their weather patterns are not related to ours.

Europe doesn’t just get suddenly “hot,” typically wind patterns will shift and heat from the desert travels unimpeded across the Mediterranean and eventually settles over mainland Europe. The continent is literally surrounded along its south and east by some of the hottest jurisdictions on earth. You expect that to affect European climate, including that of the warm Mediterranean regions themselves.

Weather patterns are related all over the globe.  For example a "blocking high"* causes the jet stream to loop high to the north, which when it happens here (common during El Nino events) causes prolonged warmth in the west and prolonged cold over eastern North America as it loops back south and - looking the other way - causes lows to form further west in the Pacific than they otherwise would, thus affecting much of the ocean and parts of eastern Asia.  The effects ripple out from there, becoming less pronounced as they go.

And all of this, in this example, is caused by a heating event in the waters of the South Pacific.

The shift in wind patterns that cooked Europe was caused by something...probably the same or similar sequence of causes that brought major heat waves there in past years/decades.  I don't know the specifics.

* - for those unfamiliar with the term: in the northern hemisphere weather systems - and thus patterns - of all kinds generally tend to move from west to east.  A 'blocking high' is a stable high-pressure area that, rather than moving west-to-east as one would expect, instead just resolutely sits where it is for an extended period...and in so doing blocks the normal movement of other systems - it's in the way - and thus gets its name.  That we've had a trough off the coast for so long this summer tells me there's a blocking high somewhere that's preventing the usual shifts.

#3803 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 49,848 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 05:36 AM

For sure, weather is related as it’s contained around our globe, but what I mean is whatever happened off the coast of Vancouver Island this summer did not directly create Saharan outflows in Germany. If it had I think we’d be hearing meteorologists discussing how a cool summer in Canada was to blame for a hot summer in Stuttgart.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3804 FogPub

FogPub
  • 303 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 August 2019 - 07:50 PM

Further to my post above, there's an article in today's T-C that talks about jet stream blockages and how weather is affected.  Gives more detail than I did.

#3805 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 49,848 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 07:48 PM

Quite the light show we’ve got going on right now.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3806 LJ

LJ
  • 9,033 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 08:00 PM

^????

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3807 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 808 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 08:07 PM

^????

some people are seeing lighting (including someone just up the street from me) but I haven't seen any all night so no idea.

#3808 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 49,848 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 06:21 AM

At times the skies lit up 2-3 times in a minute. I sat in the yard listening to Neil Young for about an hour and a half before the lightning stopped or became too infrequent to notice.

It looked like it would have been centred on the San Juans/the Bellingham area.
  • todd likes this

Know it all.

#3809 FogPub

FogPub
  • 303 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 September 2019 - 09:59 AM

Seattle metro area got about 1000 lightning strikes last night, most if not all within a 3-hour period.

A smaller storm rolled up the far side of San Juan Island from south to north, and that's what you'd have seen.

• Mike K. likes this

#3810 todd

todd
  • 6,286 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 11:22 AM

At times the skies lit up 2-3 times in a minute. I sat in the yard listening to Neil Young for about an hour and a half before the lightning stopped or became too infrequent to notice.
It looked like it would have been centred on the San Juans/the Bellingham area.

Better watch out this could happen: https://youtu.be/It7107ELQvY

#3811 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 1,775 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 01:59 PM

When I looked at the radar weather, you could clearly see the system moving north and slightly east at the time. We were cloudy in Victoria but the system remained to the east southeast. It was fun watching the lightning display. Only sheet lightening, no forks to be seen.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#3812 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 5,046 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 03:57 AM

Quite the light show we’ve got going on right now.

some photos

https://www.facebook...WO74w&__tn__=-R

#3813 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,302 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 04:58 PM

Some dramatic storm clouds to the south...

48714322311_c42f2ae8ee_k.jpg

• Mike K. and todd like this

#3814 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 49,848 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 06:16 PM

Between 30 and 35mm has fallen thus far in the vicinity of the reservoir.

It's been a very, very long time since I've seen this much rain fall in a five hour span.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#3815 FogPub

FogPub
  • 303 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:21 PM

I can well believe the 30-35 mm out west, given how hard it was raining in town this afternoon.

#3816 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 49,848 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:27 PM

Bamfield has recorded 60mm so far and Tofino 67.

Know it all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users