Extreme Victoria weather events & general weather chat

• Please log in to reply
4092 replies to this topic

#4081 rjag

rjag
  • 5,378 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 18 January 2020 - 10:22 AM

Some people have invisible heart conditions and whatnot but I am concerned about the Corporal Klingers.

One 80 year old is not the same as the other(so no excuse)

Yup agreed, yet the one guy thats out every other day mowing his lawn and going on 50km bike rides doesnt have that issue. Nor do the 4-5 houses of student renters that manage to clear their driveway to get their cars out....

• todd likes this

#4082 todd

todd

[gone fishing]

• 6,745 posts
  • Location[gone fishing]

Posted 18 January 2020 - 10:28 AM

How about charging “gym memberships” for snow shovels

[gone fishing]

#4083 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 10,973 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 10:33 AM

^It is funny to see all these ground-floor gyms all over Downtown and guys inside flipping giant truck tires and heavy ropes meanwhile the sidewalk outside is un-shoveled.

• Nparker, rjag, Bernard and 2 others like this

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#4084 Nparker

Nparker
  • 24,441 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 11:02 AM

Obviously, it is an unenforceable bylaw as far as most residents are concerned and people know this and act accordingly.

#4085 todd

todd

[gone fishing]

• 6,745 posts
  • Location[gone fishing]

Posted 18 January 2020 - 11:34 AM

Obviously, it is an unenforceable bylaw as far as most residents are concerned and people know this and act accordingly.

If I recall maybe the last snow or a couple snows ago I posted a bunch or some references to municipalities enforcing it with monetary fines

[gone fishing]

#4086 todd

todd

[gone fishing]

• 6,745 posts
  • Location[gone fishing]

Posted 18 January 2020 - 11:47 AM

“Horse play off Oldfield Road”: https://www.timescol...road-1.24055660
  • SimonH likes this

[gone fishing]

#4087 tommy

tommy
  • 322 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 06:06 PM

recents cases in ontario and b.c. shed light on the matter - although dealing with civil liability, the principle is clear

https://www.canlii.o...Q&resultIndex=1

https://www.straight...arby-city-owned

There is no common law duty on the owner of property to clear snow and ice from public sidewalks adjacent to the property. The snow and ice accumulating on public sidewalks are the legal responsibility of the municipality. There are two exceptions to this general principle. First, a property owner may be deemed in law to be an occupier of adjacent public property if the owner assumes control of that property. The second exception to the general principle that a property owner is responsible only for his or her property is that the duty of care on the owner extends to ensuring that conditions or activities on his or her property do not flow off the property and cause injury to persons nearby. Neither exception applied in this case.

Edited by tommy, 18 January 2020 - 06:07 PM.

#4088 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 06:11 PM

not sure if that makes it clear.  civil liability and bylaw infraction are pretty different.

#4089 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,557 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 January 2020 - 11:45 PM

Ok, this takes the cake.

It's 11:40pm.  I'm doing a few dishes and hear noise outside.  I live near Oak Bay Junction.  Took a look out the window and there's  a City of Victoria dump truck, two bobcats, a front-end ditch-digging loader and an Ansan traffic control pickup outside.  

The to bobcats are running around picking up what's left of the snow, loading it into the front end loader so it can in turn load it into the dump truck.  It's all very noisy, and it's all very stinky - my entire place smells of diesel now and there's still snow in the bike lane so they haven't really done their job anyway.  

I can't even.  

• todd likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4090 FogPub

FogPub
  • 408 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 January 2020 - 03:49 AM

Ok, this takes the cake.

It's 11:40pm.  I'm doing a few dishes and hear noise outside.  I live near Oak Bay Junction.  Took a look out the window and there's  a City of Victoria dump truck, two bobcats, a front-end ditch-digging loader and an Ansan traffic control pickup outside.  

The to bobcats are running around picking up what's left of the snow, loading it into the front end loader so it can in turn load it into the dump truck.  It's all very noisy, and it's all very stinky - my entire place smells of diesel now and there's still snow in the bike lane so they haven't really done their job anyway.  

I can't even.  

They did the same thing outside my window at - get this - 3:30 a.m.

• sebberry likes this

#4091 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • 90 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 06:36 AM

recents cases in ontario and b.c. shed light on the matter - although dealing with civil liability, the principle is clear

The B.C. case isn't by-law related, rather it has to do with what happens if somebody slips on the sidewalk after you've shovelled it.

The B.C. Courts found that "no", you're not liable for somebody slipping on the sidewalk you've just shovelled because you were obliged to by a local by-law.

It strictly relates to civic liability, not with actually being obliged to shovel snow as a result of a local by-law.

The Ontario reference could be seen as very relevant, in that one might presume if any resident of B.C. were to take their snow shovelling by-law ticket to court, the result would be the same.

Whether the penalized property owner then would want to spend $20,000.00+ to fight a wealthy municipality against what is a $125.00 ticket in court would be up to the property owner.

It's often just easier to either shovel the snow, or pay the ticket.

If you're very wealthy, have extremely flexible work options, and want to strongly make a point - I guess you could look to the years it would take to get to the B.C. Supreme Court for a result that would very likely be similar to the one that came about in Ontario.

Edited by Spy Black, 20 January 2020 - 06:37 AM.

#4092 LJ

LJ
  • 9,313 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:59 PM

I have never heard of this weather phenomenon before....

https://www.usatoday...eat/4541351002/

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4093 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,709 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:41 PM

^ Chicken of the trees....Priceless.

• Matt R. likes this

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users