• 7,069 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 10:20 AM

^Just don't eat the yellow stuff.

Yeah, it's really acumulating now.

#42 Savannah

Savannah
  • 213 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 10:20 AM

We've got an inch or two here in Langford. The neighbour just built a four-ball five-foot tall snowman, with contributions from another neighbour of a hat and a traditional carrot nose.

The dog is not so sure of this cold white stuff! It's coming down in big fat flakes now...

Whee!

#43 Number Six

Number Six
  • 261 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 10:34 AM

I think we need planning permission to build a snowman in Fairfield.

#44 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 10:45 AM

maybe this will be the snow storm of 06. A ten year event.

#45 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 12,625 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 10:46 AM

So long as all snowmen have been to the FCA Snow construction committee that meets each May there are no problems.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#46 aastra

aastra
  • 14,274 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 12:14 PM

Yeah, we had a half-decent dump at this time of year somewhere around 1985. I remember it was snowing on U.S. Thanksgiving Day that year.

I believe it was snowy for the whole week.

#47 djp

djp
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 12:17 PM

Yeah, they've revised the forecast. 5 cm near the water, 10 cm elsewhere.

#48 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 47,665 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 01:44 PM

Still coming down strong in Vic West. 1.5 degrees C at my place and approximately 3" of accumulation.

When I woke up this morning at 8 it was raining. By 8:45 it was a rain/snow mix and since 9AM the white stuff has been coming down in buckets.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#49 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 02:01 PM

Ha! A X-Country skier just passed by my house!

#50 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 09:05 PM

Well, the power a has finally come back on (Oak Bay Rec neighbourhood). It went off at 12:20 PM this afternoon and returned at 8:25 PM this evening. Now I can make some hot tea to wash the cold can of beans I ate at 7 PM when I lost faith that the power would come back on tonight.

#51 aastra

aastra
  • 14,274 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 07:14 AM

My power went off at 3pm and came back at about 2:30am. My work is still out at 7am this morning.

#52 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 12,625 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 07:15 AM

Bus service is on pause in Vic now.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#53 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 08:36 AM

A-Channel is doing a good job on the situation.

CH has home-design shows on.

CFAX is on top of it, of course.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#54 aastra

aastra
  • 14,274 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 09:13 AM

UBC seems to be completely without power. There's quite a "Blizzard of '96" feel to it all. I passed two crippled buses on the walk in, saw maybe a dozen big branches down and at least one tree down. Makes me wonder how long it will take them to fix the trolley line. It's broken in several places.

I'm using dial-up via a notebook right now. Nothing else works unless it's running on generator power.

#55 captain highliner

captain highliner
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 09:14 AM

Wow, that's quite the snowstorm for Vic. I love it! Had to shutdown my jobsite up in Cowichan for the day, my S-15 couldn't make it.

I hope that there are enough shelter beds open to deal with the homeless. I don't want to see someone get killed. What's fun for me to go out hiking in from my warm townhouse would be shitty to have to sleep in.

#56 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 09:48 AM

Extreme weather funding will have kicked in late Sept I believe. There should be shelters for everyone. The trick is finding them all and bringing them to to the shelters. Last I heard there were a couple of churches and community centers standing ready to open their doors.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#57 mikedw

mikedw
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 09:58 AM

I just wanted to say:

Is it just me or is the media going waaaay overboard on the whole water advisory thing? Good gravy, so you have to boil your water. This is such a massive inconvenience that people are brawling at Costco to get bottled water?? Unbelievable.

Watch the footage: much of that hard fought water is being loaded into SUVs. I agree: boil the water if you need water. It's not that tricky.

With media: if it bleeds it leads. Picture of people boiling water is like watching a pot boil. Fights over bottled water is energetic and exciting. Listening to a GVRD water expert talk about turbidity is boring and complex. Listening to the plight of an old man who missed out on water is the human drama playing out.

This is why the media played down the holed-up thief at the Salvation Army: close to air time, it looked dangerous-- too dangerous for media personalities to get exposed. Also they had their satellite trucks deployed at the Empress for Christmas tree event and they weren't going to move them just because some riff-raff takedown crippled traffic in the downtown core. By the time the story came to air, the police had the guy without incident-- no great optics of a guy hand-cuffed on the ground.

#58 captain highliner

captain highliner
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 09:59 AM

It's good to hear that there should be shelters open. I wonder about staffing problems given the roads' conditions. I know my wife, who works at Aids Vancouver Island is running her drop-in program (that serves some of the homeless population) short staffed and at reduced hours today.

#59 mikedw

mikedw
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 10:07 AM

A-Channel is doing a good job on the situation.

CH has home-design shows on.

CFAX is on top of it, of course.

Yeah, CFAX has earned alot of brownie points with me recently. We made the mistake of going to Nanaimo on Saturday afternoon and in trying to get good advice via radio: CFAX was great, CBC was pointless and the personalities on the other stations couldn't spell "weather."

#60 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 10:35 AM

Extreme weather funding will have kicked in late Sept I believe. There should be shelters for everyone. The trick is finding them all and bringing them to to the shelters. Last I heard there were a couple of churches and community centers standing ready to open their doors.

According to yesterday's T/C, 17 people were turned away from cold-weather shelters on Friday.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users