Photo

Justin Trudeau

• Please log in to reply
377 replies to this topic

#361 jonny

jonny
  • 8,738 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 08:48 AM

Does anybody even consider the Fraser Institute anything but a right-wing cesspool of misinformation and outright lies in 2019?

Yes.

#362 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,583 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 02 February 2019 - 11:03 AM

Meh...seems to me that the left, right and centre paradigms are an increasingly vague and even problematic way to view politics. There are plenty of people or institutions who/which hold views that could be considered both left and right at the same time, so how useful is it really to put them on any spectrum?

That said 'balance' is good so if the Fraser Institute trends to the "Right" (obviously it certainly does) that's fine IMO as its a counterbalance to hard Left think tanks like the Broadbent and Parkland Institutes respectively, and especially the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives which is supported by among others none other than one Naomi Klein (ugh), who I wouldn't trust as far as I could toss her.

Reading their material one would think Canada is one of the very worst places on earth due presumably to entrenched social and economic injustices perpetrated by those awful big business interests, blah blah blah, insert classic leftist ideological 'class struggle' claptrap, ad nauseum, yada, yada - well you're free to leave folks, free to leave annnnny time. Try Saudi Arabia, North Korea, Mali, Putin's Russia among 150 or so other places, I'm sure they'd all love to have you. That's assuming of course you weren't summarily executed for fomenting civil unrest and sedition. Hm...on second thought - maybe, just maybe - Canada ain't so bad after all......

• rjag and lanforod like this

#363 rjag

rjag
  • 4,614 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 02 February 2019 - 12:38 PM

^ Yup....its a shame that people are so intolerant and nobody is allowed to voice an opinion that is remotely right of centre without being branded a racist, supremacist, cisgender, angry old white guy, privileged, well homed etc etc....

Thats the wonder of democracy thats lost this last few years, nobody is allowed to challenge or question dogma such as climate, #metoo, and now apparently Maduro.

Heck, we even have to place a gender impact on a pipeline....we're well and truly f^cked

#364 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 706 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 04:19 PM

The Fraser Institute is alright. Their methodologies are sounds and have good writers. Certainly right wing, so when there is room for normative statements apply the necessary grain of salt. But I don't think any hard numbers they publish are wrong.
  • rjag likes this

#365 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 1,987 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 February 2019 - 05:19 PM

Can you provide clear examples of these outright lies? And please quote from a mainstream source.....I'll wait

The mainstream press are in the Fraser Institutes pocket, so I'll ignore that portion of your post.

This is about 3 minutes of looking, I'm sure I could find dozens more.

Some misleading, some outright lies ... the point is that the Fraser Institute remains untrustworthy and undependable, as they skew facts and figures regularly in order to fulfil their agenda.

https://thetyee.ca/V...Public_Schools/

https://environmenta...and-just-lying/

http://www.rabble.ca...ankruptcy-facts

http://www.chronicle...2311185655.html

http://www.joeydevil...sleading-graph/

That right-wing guys like and defend right-wing institutions is hardly surprising.

But you'd think folks would all be clear that when your business is facts and figures, you can't skew them (even slightly) in any direction (left or right) and remain relevant.

#366 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • 1,987 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 February 2019 - 05:20 PM

You’ll be waiting for a while, rjag.

Sorry, I was out most of the day.

Despite my absence, rjag only had to wait around 9 hours ... not long at all, and certainly not a "while"!

• rjag likes this

#367 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • 369 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 06:36 PM

^ Yup....its a shame that people are so intolerant and nobody is allowed to voice an opinion that is remotely right of centre without being branded a racist, supremacist, cisgender, angry old white guy, privileged, well homed etc etc....

Thats the wonder of democracy thats lost this last few years, nobody is allowed to challenge or question dogma such as climate, #metoo, and now apparently Maduro.

Heck, we even have to place a gender impact on a pipeline....we're well and truly f^cked

What's amazing is not a single politician in Canada actually brings up issues that Canadians support. Things like the high price of groceries for example. High food prices in Canada are 100% because of supply management and no one cares. Gas prices on the west coast are high because not one has the balls to advance refinery development. The majority of Canadians want LESS immigration and ZERO illegal immigration but that issue will not be raised AT ALL in the next campaign. We've all seen what happens to politicians that actually promise to do things people want. They get called racist, sexist bigot homophobes, nazis, and putin puppets.

Edited by PraiseKek, 02 February 2019 - 06:37 PM.

• Bob Fugger likes this

#368 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,055 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 02 February 2019 - 07:14 PM

As you state, because all of those are examples of the MSM have decided are"populist" issues and any politician who raises these issues would be labeled as Trumpesque, in addition to all of those other things.  You just drop the T bomb on someone and suddenly the argument is somehow over.

#369 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,767 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 07:58 AM

Sorry, I was out most of the day.
Despite my absence, rjag only had to wait around 9 hours ... not long at all, and certainly not a "while"!

Ok good, you fell for the inevitable pitfall.

The Tyee loathes the Institute and will find any way to discredit their reports, such as claiming this absurdity in the link you posted: “Its ‘report cards’ in The Province are divisive propaganda -- and more about helping privatizers than the poor.”

Yes, Tyee, because pointing out that BC’s private schools are in a universe of their own quality of education-wise compared to our public school system is ...propaganda. Uh huh.

The rest of your links are equally as rant-like in their disdain for hard truths from the Institute. Here’s another golden gem: “STUPID OR JUST LYING? WHAT’S UP WITH THE FRASER INSTITUTE?” Sorry, Keith, but since you wrote that tearful ode to Kathleen Wynne’s disastrous renewables project in your Environmental Defence Blog (aka Carbon Taxes = good Blog) she’s been booted out of office and Canadians are mocking the federal carbon tax while Rob Ford lobs snowballs at his federal counterparts. Keith and his rant: 0. Fraser Institute: 1.

The Fraser Institute cuts through the mumbo jumbo from the intelligentsia and says it like it is. The Tyee and the rest of their ilk can’t handle that, it infuriates them that their dogma is challenged and done so by the greatest of evils: an organization from the left coast.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#370 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,583 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:21 AM

Tyee also has, or had at least back in the day, major links to labor and labor-friendly sources and/or organizations. On many subjects I consider it not much more than a mouth piece/advocate for, shall we say, "NDP-friendly" positions or policies.

That said they have some very good writers including one Andrew Nikiforuk, who recently penned an article that explains precisely why "Jun-yah" is way out of his depth and has zero business sitting at a table architecting our foreign policy:

https://thetyee.ca/A...s-Meng-Trudeau/

• rjag likes this

#371 rjag

rjag
  • 4,614 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:24 AM

The mainstream press are in the Fraser Institutes pocket, so I'll ignore that portion of your post.

This is about 3 minutes of looking, I'm sure I could find dozens more.

Some misleading, some outright lies ... the point is that the Fraser Institute remains untrustworthy and undependable, as they skew facts and figures regularly in order to fulfil their agenda.

https://thetyee.ca/V...Public_Schools/

https://environmenta...and-just-lying/

http://www.rabble.ca...ankruptcy-facts

http://www.chronicle...2311185655.html

http://www.joeydevil...sleading-graph/

That right-wing guys like and defend right-wing institutions is hardly surprising.

But you'd think folks would all be clear that when your business is facts and figures, you can't skew them (even slightly) in any direction (left or right) and remain relevant.

Oh my goodness, citing such prestigious journals as Rabble.ca is not exactly a mainstream reliable source for balanced information. And then you cite a few personal blogs...

The Tyee is a bit closer to mainstream but suffers from bias as well...but to quote a 15 year old opinion piece about a report published by the Fraser Institute does not provide an example of the 'outright lies' you claim...its a 15 year old opinion piece about class division in the school system.

I'm asking about 'outright lies' as you vociferously claim .... I'm asking with all due respect to you and am not goading you...if you honestly believe that this group is a source of 'outright lies' then there must be quite a few mainstream articles calling them out. 

And please, Rabble is about as mainstream as Pravda and the Daily Worker. 

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#372 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,767 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:28 AM

And Rabble, now that’s quality journalism. I’m trying to remember why I have a particular reaction to that rag.

Oh yeah!

It’s the home of Mrs. The Broncos Bus Accident is a Tragedy Only Because The Victims Were White Boys. Remember her and how she tried to social-justice-warrior her way out of one of the most mean-spirited and shameful statements made following one of this country’s biggest tragedies of recent times? Yeah. And Rabble stood by her, they even penned a tearful missive of their own for the way the rest of the country reacted to that nonsense.
  • rjag likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#373 rjag

rjag
  • 4,614 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:49 AM

I know the topic is Justin and all that, but I have a question about his buddy, Gerald Butts, he has a personal net worth of $23million or thereabouts....how does the son of a coal miner and a person who has never worked in the private sector but as a political advisor to McGuinty then CEO of World Wildlife Fund and now principal advisor to JT obtain such wealth?

He was the architect of the disastrous green shift in Ontario...he has no street cred apart from political connections....yet he's worth $23million? Why is nobody looking into that?

#374 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,583 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:51 AM

Interesting perspective on the Tyee from an org that assesses and reviews various media organizations for perceived bias. I would say based on my experience with the Tyee and my own perceptions of it, this is pretty much spot on - 

https://mediabiasfac...k.com/the-tyee/

#375 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,583 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:58 AM

And here are their thoughts on Rabble which, unsurprisingly is way over on the Left - I mean they're partnered with the CCPA for heaven sake so....phhhhhht insofar as impartiality is concerned: check out the Voting stats on the online poll and you'll see overwhelmingly they are rated as being on the "Extreme Left".

Heck old Joe Stalin could return from the dead, starve and execute another 25 million people and Rabble would probably cheer him on from the sidelines, so...NO!

https://mediabiasfac....com/rabble-ca/

#376 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,767 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 09:06 AM

For what it’s worth, the Tyee does a relatively good job covering issues that require more than a cursory glance from the mainstream press, but where they lose me is when the social justice fight rears its head and suddenly an opportunity to reflect on why [insert topic] face the problems that they do, the issue becomes one of class warfare or corporations.

But of course, when the tables are turned, such as the NDP’s re-write of municipal election rules that favour left-leaning municipal candidates over neutral or right-leaning municipal candidates and the subsequent province-wide shift left in the 2018 elections, Tyee and its counterparts have fallen silent. Why? This is a topic literally hand-crafted for them.

Know it all.

#377 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 8,980 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 07:05 PM

May 1 1960: First mention of Pierre Eliott Trudeau in the Victoria Colonist.

Capture.JPG

• todd likes this

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#378 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,583 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:30 PM

Too bad that shrimp boat didn't pull a u-turn instead and head off to the Gulf of Mexico to catch shrimp. Canadian history might've turned out very differently.

• LJ likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.