Photo

Justin Trudeau

• Please log in to reply
393 replies to this topic

#21 phx

phx
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:36 PM

True enough, it was a bit later that opportunities arose.

I believe the Japanese have always been interested in natural resource hook-ups, though.

#22 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,965 posts
  • LocationGorge-Selkirk

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:54 PM

Probably true however see if you can digest this: as recently as 2006, Japan was the third ranked destination of all Canadian exports - comprising all of 2.1% of the total - and the fourth ranked source of imports accounting for a paltry 3.9% of the total. Care to guess who was Number One, overwhelmingly, in both categories?

Pretty daunting and shows yet again the degree to which this country is absolutely dependent on our friends to the south. So while it is fine to ***** and moan about their national or international policies, this country remains extremely exposed and is absolutely dependent on whatever good will it can engender from Washington.

#23 tedward

tedward
  • 1,909 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

OK, we get that you hated P.E.T. Can we get to back to discussing Justin Trudeau who is not, by any measure I know of, responsible for the policies or actions of this father as Prime Minister.

I signed up as a "supporter" before even Garneau entered the race and have listened to Garneau, Trudeau and Murray speak in person in the last few months. Trudeau was certainly the best speaker with the most interesting things to say and despite what has been portrayed in the media, I heard more specifics from Trudeau than either of the other two.

I am excited by the prospect of Trudeau's leadership of the Liberal Party of Canada. I was inspired by his vision of Canada and if he is the next leader (all but guaranteed at this point) I think it will create a much-needed excitement. I think people like Garneau and Murray will make fantastic members of his cabinet-in-waiting and all together they will breath new life into a party that represents Canada much better than the parties on the left or right.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#24 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,965 posts
  • LocationGorge-Selkirk

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:52 PM

And I "get" that your reading comprehension is somewhere between zero and none: I never said I hated PET nor did I infer it anywhere so would appreciate you not putting words in my mouth. In fact I implied not so veiled admiration for the man colored by disappointment he didn't achieve more. I certainly don't need you to speak for me. Nor did I imply the son is responsible for the policies of the father. Suggest you further your efforts and try to keep up with the rest of us....

Phx made some interesting points to which I merely responded, having already provided my .2 on Trudeau Junior. Its called intelligent discourse and as far as I am aware is permitted in a democracy as is your comment, ideally of ourse minus the snippy prologue. Pardon the rest of us if we don't happen to fawn all over the Trudeau Clan.

#25 Bernard

Bernard
  • 4,241 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

I think it is foolhardy for the Liberals to be considering someone as leader of the party that has so little political experience, has not held any long term jobs, has no background in political campaigning or organizing.

I look at the campaign Trudeau has done so far, his campaign is the one that could not get the supporters to finish the sign up so that they could vote. He picked up a lot of back room political operatives but has not managed to run an exciting campaign. It is very clear that he has not managed to sign up many new members to the party.

As a student I know up at UVic said, Trudeau the MP was much more exciting to hear speak than Trudeau the leadership candidate.

The Liberals need a leader who understands that they are now a distant #3 as a political party federally and that they need to organize on the ground. They do not need a middle aged man with good hair pretending he is part of some youth movement and thereby hoping some miracle will happen and the party will return to power.

The Liberals need to focus on creating 338 functioning EDAs with at least 100 members each but no one in the Liberals seem to be interested in that path.

#26 phx

phx
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:46 PM

They do not need a middle aged man with good hair pretending he is part of some youth movement and thereby hoping some miracle will happen and the party will return to power.

I suspect he appeals more to boomers wanting to reminisce about their younger days.

#27 LJ

LJ
  • 8,993 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:26 PM

I suspect he appeals more to boomers wanting to reminisce about their younger days.

Only the ones back East, not so fondly remembered here.

Do you recall the outcry when they were going to name a mountain in BC for him?
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#28 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:27 PM

It wasnt a matter of going to ,They did name one after him its near Valemont BC nothing wrong with it in my mind

You are probably thinking about when they were going to rename Mt Logan in the St Elias Mtns. There was some outcry against that plan. Mt Logan is teh 2nd highest in North america and teh Highest in Canada

#29 LJ

LJ
  • 8,993 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:34 PM

I would have been in favour of naming our new sewage plant after him.

#30 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:14 PM

Only the ones back East, not so fondly remembered here.

Much of the issue was Chretien's proposal for re-naming a gazetted mountain. Sir William Logan's family and the geology community were especially critical of it, as I recall. Not to mention Yukoners.

There are more astute ways to slag PET if you're so inclined, but this thread isn't actually about him.

#31 tedward

tedward
  • 1,909 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:55 PM

And I "get" that your reading comprehension is somewhere between zero and none:

Did I quote you directly?

Did I use "^" to indicate I was responding directly to your comments?

Did I in any way shape or form identify you in particular as opposed to the plural form directed at the multiple posters to this thread who have posted such things?

I can understand your confusion, English is an imprecise language after all and the format of online forums can be misleading. Perhaps next time however you might simply ask a question rather than jump to an erroneous conclusion.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#32 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:42 PM

http://www.theglobea...rticle10254429/

"Unlike the Tories, who press hot-button issues such as gun control and public funding of the CBC to garner donations, Mr. Trudeau is successful without even needing an issue."

#33 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:59 PM

Pretty quiet here these days.

"...[T]he results change significantly when respondents are asked to picture Trudeau as the leader of the Liberals. Under such a (virtually certain) scenario, the Liberals win 40% support to the Conservatives 28%."

http://news.national...s-for-disaster/

Que sera sera.

#34 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,491 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 08:06 PM

I found Lara Logan's interview with Justin Trudeau on 60 Minutes to be somewhat negative.

#35 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 08:13 PM

I found Lara Logan's interview with Justin Trudeau on 60 Minutes to be somewhat negative.

In what way?  She is a South African married to a US husband, I think she's pretty impartial. 

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#36 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,491 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 09:16 PM

I will go back over the interview and quote the questions. Her body language didn't help.

#37 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,491 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 10:26 PM

...better yet, judge for yourself. Here is the 13 minute segment complete with commercials.

http://www.cbsnews.c...nister-trudeau/

#38 LJ

LJ
  • 8,993 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:15 PM

I found she didn't really ask any hardball questions, wasn't quite as fawning as others have been, other than that pretty much a puff piece.

#39 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:26 PM

I found she didn't really ask any hardball questions, wasn't quite as fawning as others have been, other than that pretty much a puff piece.

Ya, it was a bit lame.  It was also edited a lot.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#40 lanforod

lanforod
  • 7,145 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 March 2016 - 08:28 AM

I didn't see any issues with the host. Barely ever cracked a smile, seemed a bit stiff, but whatever.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users