#1 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 07:29 AM

Broadmead Village pegged for $6.5-million renovation, expansion
Published: April 01, 2012 9:00 PM
Updated: April 01, 2012 9:12 PM

Broadmead Village, the outdoor, open-air shopping centre located just off the Pat Bay Highway near the Royal Oak overpass, is preparing for an expensive facelift.

Property owner and developer Grosvenor Americas hopes infusing $6.5 million into the 21-year-old strip mall, in the form of new storefronts, improved pedestrian walking and gathering spaces, and nearly 200-square-metres of new retail space, will help keep it a relevant place to shop, amid an overall shift in the shopping world.

http://www.bclocalne.../145714585.html

any details?

#2 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:21 AM

TC had one picture:
http://www.timescolo...8372/story.html

#3 rchauhan

rchauhan
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:57 PM

I'm a regular passer-by in these neck of the woods, and I noticed there are now orange ground markings throughout the Village.

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:15 AM

I saw engineers taking measurements on site the other day. The owner of Broadmead isn't waiting around!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:24 AM

Good for them for not being complacent. Broadmead was beginning to show its age, making it only a little more attractive than the Royal Oak Shopping Centre, mainly because of the good Thrifty Foods outlet. This should halt the decline and re-assert Broadmead's reputation as the elite shopping destination in Saanich. To paraphrase Chris Rock, They've got the rich mall, and the mall rich people used to go to.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#6 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:33 AM

Broadmead is on my way home, so I shop there on a regular basis. Groceries, liquor, and car parts.....the three major food groups.

I just hope that a redesigned entrance and exit is in the cards. That four way stop.....that close to the entrance.....is a grunt.

#7 Fairbanks

Fairbanks
  • 554 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:36 AM

6.5 Million isn't very much. Can't be planning much with that amount of investment. I that a typo?

#8 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:37 AM

Groceries, liquor, and car parts

So much for my "elite" mall theory.

Yes, the four-way stop can be a gong show.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#9 Fairbanks

Fairbanks
  • 554 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:38 AM

6.5 Million isn't very much. Can't be planning much with that amount of investment. I that a typo?
Bentall invested 30mil in Westshore Town Centre (Langford) expansion.

#10 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:28 AM

^ Their not doing an expansion, only a facelift with a minor infill. Is going to be nothing like the Westshore redesign.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#11 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:07 PM

some renderings

looks like in front of the liquor store

http://www.broadmead...id=93&Itemid=57

Broadmead is on my way home, so I shop there on a regular basis. Groceries, liquor, and car parts.....the three major food groups.

I just hope that a redesigned entrance and exit is in the cards. That four way stop.....that close to the entrance.....is a grunt.

So much for my "elite" mall theory.

Yes, the four-way stop can be a gong show.

looks like that intersection is getting a much-needed redesign. i can't find out what it's going to look like in the end but they've cut back the median on the royal-oak side, which makes me think it might become a roundabout.

#12 AJL

AJL
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:38 PM

looks like that intersection is getting a much-needed redesign. i can't find out what it's going to look like in the end but they've cut back the median on the royal-oak side, which makes me think it might become a roundabout.

it is staying a 4 way stop, but as your head out of the mall it will be one lane road instead of two, this is for the portion "on site", the portion on the north of the intersection from the lights to the stop sign will remain the same. This work if i remember correctly is nearly done on site.

#13 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:46 PM

looks like romeo's is moving to where broadmead bakery was, across from the liquor store and where most of the work is happening. right about here

http://www.broadmead...id=93&Itemid=57

I wonder if there's enough room for them there if they take over another unit or two. I guess the patio will be bigger & they'll have that fireplace right there too.

#14 pikabu

pikabu
  • 107 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:58 AM

Does anyone know what is happening to the old Romeo's building at Broadmead? Such a great location for another restaurant!

#15 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:06 PM

I heard that it will be a cibc branch. no source for that though.

#16 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:17 PM

Does anyone know what is happening to the old Romeo's building at Broadmead?

I heard that it will be a cibc branch.

I've bought the Romeo's dishwashers who are secretly building me a tunnel after hours linking the parking lot to the future vault location. Pink tube-top girl seen above is my accomplice. After the heist succeeds I'm writing a book and selling the movie rights.

#17 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:36 PM

Renovations are complete, except for the Thrifty Foods which hasn't really changed and the Romeo's and Canadian Tire sections which haven't been touched. Overall the look is much more contemporary; a necessary move to solidify their image as Victoria's "upscale" strip mall. Romeo's is still in its old location. Of course, the best thing is still the pet store with the rescue kittens in the window. We've had our kitty three years now.

#18 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:55 AM

Went to Romeo's on Saturday. Not sure why they would want to / need to move. It's pretty popular/busy, and seems like a good size for the restaurant. Perhaps since they haven't moved yet, it isn't happening? If it does happen, I'd prefer another restaurant rather than another bank branch, though the next closest CIBC I think is in Mayfair.

Edited by lanforod, 23 December 2013 - 08:55 AM.

#19 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:32 PM

I'll have to check out the 'new Broadmead'. But have to laugh at the 'upscale strip mall' moniker - nothing says 'white trash' more to *me* that Romeo's. But die-hard locals certainly love them some Romeo's pizza - again, will never understand it.

• Mike K. and G-Man like this

#20 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:45 PM

/\  Ha, funny!  I thought Romeo's was the high end pizza joint in town?  'White trash' pizza, wouldn't that be Boston Pizza?  The few times I've been in their locations it depresses me beyond belief. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users