Photo

[James Bay] Q Apartments | Rentals | 7-storeys | Hotel converted into rentals in 2014

Rental

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#41 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:00 PM

Lots of activity this week (finally!).

jbw

#42 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:03 PM

I guess we haven't heard much about this project since early fall. I assume it won't be long before Concert starts promoting these rentals.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#43 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:11 PM

http://www.concertpr...CFVGVfgod3y4APg

#44 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:15 PM

Nice.  Here's the blurb from the website:

Currently under renovation, The Q Apartments will offer renovated studio, one and two bedroom rental homes. From compact furnished or unfurnished studios to spacious two bedroom homes, The Q Apartments will marry the mid-century modern aesthetic of this iconic 1960’s building with modern conveniences. Unfurnished suites will range from approximately $845 to $1780 per month with furnished and penthouse suites also available.* Amenities include a resident lounge, card-operated laundry, bicycle storage and fitness centre complete with a sauna and change rooms.

The Q Apartments are located between Victoria’s vibrant downtown core and the tree-lined James Bay neighbourhood, just steps away from the Legislative building and Beacon Hill Park. This central location provides a great variety of everyday amenities, shops, restaurants and entertainment. The close proximity to the downtown core and public transit access to major schools – University of Victoria, Camosun College and Royal Roads –make The Q a highly desirable rental building.
*Rental rates are approximate, are subject to change and do not include furnished or penthouse suites.

This is going to be quite the rental battle. Hudson Mews, Q Apartments, New England Hotel and several condo towers (with investments offering rentals) will release units onto the market by mid 2014.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#45 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:31 PM

You can take New England Hotel out of the equation....No onsite Parking ...this building will appeal to a specific demographic the others you listed have onsite parking.

#46 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:13 AM

How about a new Pacific Coach Lines terminal/future LRT depot at street level?

Traffic patterns at this sie make this not feasible.
Pieta VanDyke

#47 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:55 AM

It's still a rental whether or not it has parking. Many condos are rented without parking and many rentals across the city charge extra for parking, if it's even available.

Know it all.

#48 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:05 AM

how many units in this building? the concert site doesn't seem to say.

Edited by amor de cosmos, 19 January 2014 - 11:06 AM.

#49 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:11 AM

Know it all.

#50 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:37 AM

Victoria - 655 Douglas Street Victoria

Phone: 250.920.8927 
Bedrooms: Bachelor 
Available: Apr 1 
Building Amenities: Laundry in Building, Fitness Room Lounge 

Description: 
NOW RENTING FOR APRIL 1! Currently under renovation, The Q Apartments offers renovated studio, one and two bedroom rental homes. From compact furnished or unfurnished studios to spacious two bedroom homes, The Q Apartments marries the mid-century modern aesthetic of this iconic 1960's building with modern conveniences. Unfurnished suites will range from approximately $845 to $1805 per month with furnished and penthouse suites also available.* Amenities include a resident lounge, card-operated laundry, bicycle storage and fitness centre complete with a sauna and change rooms. *Rental rates are approximate, are subject to change and do not include furnished or penthouse suites. 

VIDEO:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFbL4i03hgQ

PRICES:  http://www.concertpr...ls/q-apartments

http://victoria.en.c...4329752672.html

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#51 sasamat

sasamat
  • 101 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:44 AM

Most renters in that price range would be expecting a dishwasher and/or ensuite laundry. The people who don't care about that sort of thing or whose budgets don't allow for it will probably continue to rent the older purpose-built rentals that are much cheaper.

#52 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:49 AM

Is the swimming Pool still there?

#53 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:51 AM

I just wish the Sunday buffet was still there. Good cheap eats!

#54 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:37 AM

From that video the finishing is very low end.  I'd like to know how rents compare with the 70s apartments in this town on an equal comparison.  Its hard to judge $845-1805 for studios to penthouses

#55 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:52 AM

Most renters in that price range would be expecting a dishwasher and/or ensuite laundry. The people who don't care about that sort of thing or whose budgets don't allow for it will probably continue to rent the older purpose-built rentals that are much cheaper.

Ya, they seem a bit high, lots of the $850-900 units are on the lower floors too.  Upper floors might be more like it at that rent.  Looks like at least some of the walls are still textured, that's kinda dated for sure.  "Rideau Brown" original or 70's-upgrade windows...

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#56 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:54 AM

My 70's apartment is two bedrooms, same finishings (new from 10 years ago), and over 1000 sq ft... $940 a month, and thats with a March 1 increase. 10 years ago moved in at $850.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 16 February 2014 - 11:16 AM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#57 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:06 AM

Prices will have to come down. There are a ton of rental units coming onto the market and they will be competing with condo rentals as well.

Hudson Mews is starting at $1225 for a 1BR. Not knowing what the finishing are like I can't comment on the value, etc., but $1225 must be a new pricing frontier for a mid-market downtown rental.

Know it all.

#58 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:07 AM

I can only speak for myself but I would never spend upwards of $1000/month to live in the equivalent of a 1960s hotel room. For about the same $ I get to pay my shrinking mortgage, property taxes and strata fees on a 900 sq ft, 2 bedroom d/t condo, with finishes that were updated as recently as 18 months ago. I suppose we all have different needs, but I know I need some space around me to call home.

#59 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:46 AM

Queen Victoria Hotel reborn as rental on downtown’s edge
Bill Cleverley / Times Colonist
March 16, 2014 06:59 AM

Bought by Vancouver-based Concert in 2012 for about $19.25 million, the former 146-room hotel at 655 Douglas St. has been renovated and rebranded as the Q Apartments, a 124-unit, eight-storey apartment block.

Work on the building, which is near Beacon Hill Park on James Bay’s northern border, included recaulking and painting the exterior, replacing balcony railings, filling in the pool, adding bike storage rooms, modernizing the elevators and putting new kitchens, flooring and electrical in the suites. The stated building permit value was $3.5 million.

“It was actually a more extensive renovation than what we had anticipated but I think the result is terrific,” said Wedekind, calling it a “nice marriage of old and new.”

Interest in the building has been strong, she said. About a third of the building’s suites have been leased.

“Age-wise, we kind of run the spectrum. We’ve got everything from the young couple just arriving in Canada, making their first start here, to the retired couple who have sold their last home and decided they are not going to play the real estate game anymore,” Wedekind said.

http://www.timescolo...s-edge-1.901108

#60 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:56 PM

Filled in the pool?  :confused:

No word on the restaurant -- is that gone, too?  Samuel's was pretty good, as restaurants go.

http://www.eatdrinkv...els-restaurant/

jbw

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users