BC (Victoria) liquor law issues and discussion

• Please log in to reply
530 replies to this topic

#381 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 03:44 PM

Beer and a haircut? What's not to like?

I'm ever optimistic we can move to Asian standards: haircut and HJ.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#382 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 03:46 PM

I can point you in the right direction.  One might be better than the other in terms of finish.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#383 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 04:06 PM

...I'm ever optimistic we can move to Asian standards: haircut and HJ.

Always ask them to put the scissors down first.

#384 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 24 January 2017 - 04:10 PM

Funny both issues came up with my barber last haircut.

Edited by todd, 24 January 2017 - 04:12 PM.

#385 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:21 AM

Funny both issues came up with my barber last haircut.

More, please. Enquiring minds seek the truth...

#386 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 11:02 AM

Sumeria Caffe is applying for a liquor license and some changes are necessary to make that work.  It'll re-open in July.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#387 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 February 2017 - 10:15 AM

^ I've never been in. Any reviews? I've only walked past and it seemed like a very tiny location but perhaps there's more to it than I'm thinking.

#388 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:40 PM

A Langford supermarket is uncorking a first for the Capital Region.

On Friday, a Real Canadian Superstore in the West Shore community became the first grocery retailer to sell wine in Greater Victoria.

The B.C. government modernized liquor laws for grocery stores to be able to sell wine nearly two years ago, but the program has been slow to roll out across the province.

http://vancouverisla...-wine-1.3330083

#389 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:42 PM

Just wine? No beer?

#390 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 03:46 PM

Just wine? No beer?

I guess not.

First, the "store-within-a-store" model - which provides convenience for customers with same-cart shopping - will apply to private liquor licences that are transferred into or sold to a grocery store, as well as to government liquor licences that are transferred into grocery stores. This model will allow for sales of beer, wine and spirits through separate cashiers, safeguarding health and safety and ensuring restricted access to alcohol by minors.

A second model will be flexible to accommodate VQA licences, as well as a limited number of new licences that sell VQA wine in grocery stores. Under this model, VQA wine will be allowed to be sold off designated shelves within the store, and purchased at designated check-out tills. With this change - as with all of B.C.'s liquor reform changes - protecting health and public safety will continue to be a paramount consideration.

https://news.gov.bc....re-liquor-sales

#391 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:01 PM

So BC VQA wine can be sold in and amongst other groceries, while beer, spirits and non BC wine has to be sold through separate cashiers?

Those are some junk rules.

#392 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:05 PM

Just wine? No beer?

Jesus liked wine

#393 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:31 PM

So BC VQA wine can be sold in and amongst other groceries, while beer, spirits and non BC wine has to be sold through separate cashiers?

Those are some junk rules.

Well, it'll likely fall at the WTO in a while.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...tores-1.3941356

Today’s action challenges British Columbia’s (BC) regulations that discriminate against the sale of U.S. wine in grocery stores.  These regulations appear to breach Canada’s WTO commitments and have adversely impacted U.S. wine producers.  Today’s action marks the 26th trade enforcement challenge the Obama Administration has launched at the WTO.  The United States has won every one of those complaints that has been decided so far.

https://ustr.gov/abo...Against_US_Wine

#394 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 11:12 AM

Zambri's has applied for an entertainment endorsement.  

Terroir Tea on Fort has applied for a license.

The Beagle is looking at adding a Cook St. patio.

#395 RoadRunner

RoadRunner
  • 122 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 11:46 AM

VHF,

What does 'entertainment endorsement' mean?  Approval to host live music?

Zambri's has applied for an entertainment endorsement.  

Terroir Tea on Fort has applied for a license.

The Beagle is looking at adding a Cook St. patio.

#396 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 11:56 AM

VHF,

What does 'entertainment endorsement' mean?  Approval to host live music?

Yes.  Or a juggling display.  Magic show.  Wet t-shirt contest (where performers are not also patrons).  Anything that does not have audience participation (bingo, karaoke, trivia).

• RoadRunner likes this

#397 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,870 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 03:14 PM

I thought the Liquour Branch had done away with the non participatory entertainment endorsement.

Matt.

#398 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 03:53 PM

I thought the Liquour Branch had done away with the non participatory entertainment endorsement.

Matt.

Oh you might be right Matt. I just saw the entertainment endorsement and assumed it was the former type.

So OK you will be able to dine at Zambri's then participate in the wet T contest right after dessert.

#399 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 04:58 PM

...you will be able to dine at Zambri's then participate in the wet T contest right after dessert.

And that's pretty easily done if you just consume too much Merlot with your dinner then run down to the far end of the Atrium and throw yourself into the fountain (assuming it's actually functioning at the time).

#400 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 05:53 PM

So OK you will be able to dine at Zambri's then participate in the wet T contest right after dessert.

Don't bother. Rosetta wins every week. She's never the best but she's the manager's aunt so the fix is in.
  • VicHockeyFan, Nparker and RoadRunner like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users