BC (Victoria) liquor law issues and discussion

• Please log in to reply
530 replies to this topic

#401 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 05:36 PM

Zambri's has applied for an entertainment endorsement.  

Terroir Tea on Fort has applied for a license.

The Beagle is looking at adding a Cook St. patio.

Terroir is asking for a 12noon to 11pm 7-day license.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#402 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:30 AM

Sumeria Caffe is applying for a liquor license and some changes are necessary to make that work.  It'll re-open in July.

Check that.  City say zoning won't allow it.  They'd need to apply for re-zoning.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#403 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:41 AM

Check that.  City say zoning won't allow it.  They'd need to apply for re-zoning.

In the meantime serve liquor anyway. Call it "medicinal" and even if the CoV attempts to fine you, ignore them and carry on.

#404 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 May 2017 - 08:26 AM

Only two so-called non-traditional businesses have applied since the application process opened Jan. 23. By March, no licences had been granted, said Chris Harbord, communications director for the B.C. Liquor Distribution Branch, adding the application process is expected to take seven to 12 months.

Applicants who want to serve a few dozen drinks a day to their customers must undertake the same rigorous process required for people who want to open a bar

TC article: Businesses find costs behind new liquor laws prohibitive

Leave it to government to create all these new liquor laws with so many regulations to prohibit success. I haven't seen any liquor sales in non-bars yet, or any liquor sold in grocery stores. Way to go John Yap!

• jonny likes this

#405 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 08:33 AM

...Leave it to government to create all these new liquor laws with so many regulations to prohibit success...

And yet pot can be sold in illegal storefront operations completely unfettered.

#406 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 03:40 PM

Leave it to government to create all these new liquor laws with so many regulations to prohibit success. I haven't seen any liquor sales in non-bars yet, or any liquor sold in grocery stores. Way to go John Yap!

Honestly, it does not look that hard or expensive to work out, once you pay the initial fee.  If you are doing it right, you are making $3 profit for every drink you serve.  So even if your haircutters only sell 10 drinks a day, you have $10,000 profit.  But the key is to do 5 evening events every year in your space.

See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.mzAza6X5.dpuf

The application fee is $2,200 and the first-year licensing fee another $2,200, with subsequent annual renewal fees based on sales but ranging from $250 to $2,200.

#407 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 07:01 PM

Well Starbucks is adding wine tasting rooms to at least one of its stores for now. They seem to have figured it out.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#408 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 08:09 PM

Which store is that, spanky?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#409 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:06 AM

Which store is that, spanky?

Uptown. 

#410 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:31 AM

Interesting. Was this mentioned in a media piece, do you know?
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#411 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 05 May 2017 - 09:25 AM

Well Starbucks is adding wine tasting rooms to at least one of its stores for now. They seem to have figured it out.

Really? They just ended beer and wine sales at 400ish American stores earlier this year. Can't seem them bringing the failed concept to Canada.

#412 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 09:28 AM

Really? They just ended beer and wine sales at 400ish American stores earlier this year. Can't seem them bringing the failed concept to Canada.

This isn't beer and wine off sales, it is wine tasting. The Uptown store is currently expanding into the cupcakes space for this purpose. 

#413 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 11:19 AM

I'm a little naive as for some reason wine makes me want to vomit/and or vomit immediately. How does this work? In a tasting I pay for a bunch of small glasses of wine?

#414 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 11:28 AM

I'm a little naive as for some reason wine makes me want to vomit/and or vomit immediately...

Funny, I get nearly the same reaction from beer.

#415 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 05 May 2017 - 11:33 AM

This isn't beer and wine off sales, it is wine tasting. The Uptown store is currently expanding into the cupcakes space for this purpose. 

Sales was the wrong word to use, I guess. Starbucks had an "Evenings" program in the States where beer and wine was added to the menu after 5 or 6pm. So, not off sales. The program was ended in January this year, as it was a big flop apparently. The new focus in the States are the Roasteries. A tasting room for coffee, basically. I had assumed the Uptown expansion was to add a Roastery, but it would be interesting if they go the wine route.

#416 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,321 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 01:12 PM

COVID-19: North Vancouver allows alcohol in some city parks

https://vancouversun...l-in-city-parks

Vancouver council rejects motion to allow drinking in public spaces

https://bc.ctvnews.c...paces-1.4967540

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 June 2020 - 01:13 PM.

#417 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 04 June 2020 - 01:26 PM

^ Penticton, too. One month pilot program. https://globalnews.c...-beaches-parks/

#418 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,321 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 01:27 PM

^ better chain down the peach!

Nearly 3 decades after rioters rolled giant peach into Okanagan Lake, owners seek closure

https://www.cbc.ca/n...osure-1.4771873

penticton-peach-riot.jpg

(colour photography did not arrve in the okanagan until about 1994)

Are you in this photo?!

For those of you who don't know about my not-so-peachy past: During the riot of 1991, I was rolled into the lake. MC Hammer sang "Can't touch this" at the festival that year and the lyrics did not apply to me. As the rioters came towards me I yelled out one last desperate threat: “Do you want a PEACH of me?!” But it was fruitless. And so they rocked and I rolled, and then there I was, floating in the lake feeling .... impeached.

I have been seeing a therapist, Dr. P. Chandpit, and he and I both agree - it's time. I need closure. I need to find the peach rollers. We need to talk. Over some ice cream.

Will you help your favourite giant peach find the people in this photo?! I'd like to get a NEW photo with them. Something a little less - rock and roll and a little more crazy shake, let's say? Let’s have some fun with this – PLEASE SHARE!

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 June 2020 - 01:33 PM.

#419 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,321 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 08:29 AM

Saanich looks at allowing alcohol in parks after North Vancouver gives the green light

Bylaw allowing liquor in parks ‘a very positive idea,’ mayor says

https://www.vicnews....he-green-light/

#420 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 10:09 AM

Licensees granted access to wholesale pricing permanently. This is great news for the industry. No word on how government plans to make up the multi million dollar shortfall. :)

https://news.gov.bc....PSSG0014-000308

Matt.
  • gstc84 likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users