Photo

299km/h motorbike ride on Highway 1 - Discussions and developments

• Please log in to reply
229 replies to this topic

#221 Gipper

Gipper
  • 312 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:30 PM

Right, and the original situation was not an emergency and you only had one side before you said you'd be fine to enter the residence, or threaten a door-knock-down if the landlord would not open it.

The complainant in the original situation shouldn't have even needed to call police. The landlord should've let him in. Once police were there they were fully in the right in facilitating his re-entry into his own unit.

But are you 100% sure when the claim (from one party only) is that there IS NOT ONE, that your sweep will show that? What if one or both names are slightly off etc.

If the spouse in the house says there's a protection order that doesn't show up on the system I'll ask for a copy of it or a police file number or his/her lawyer's number to confirm.

#222 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:54 PM

If the spouse in the house says there's a protection order that doesn't show up on the system I'll ask for a copy of it or a police file number or his/her lawyer's number to confirm.

Right, but my hypothetical, the person that may or may not be in the house, and you have had zero contact with them.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#223 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:04 PM

I feel the need to clarify something with respect to the comment above.

The key word in your post is "continually." Yes, when someone posts material that may be unfounded or based on opinion, hearsay, etc. and potentially land us in legal trouble, and they do so continuously despite our requests to avoid posting such content, then we have in several instances banned accounts.

I made an error that I had not realized I had made until it was pointed out to me. I accepted that I made an error and changed the wording of my post in response. I'm sure you can see the difference between having to clamp down on individuals who repeatedly defy our requests to tone down their contributions and an honest mistake.

Of course it was an honest mistake and as they say to err is human. We dealt with the issue and its all behind us. Lets move on to more important things

#224 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:42 PM

you need a warrant to go onto private property. how would you feel if the cops were roaming around your garage without you knowing,

Well the SPCA can come on to your property and seize your family pet without your consent so I would say the police could probably have a look around without to much trouble.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#225 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:41 PM

Well the SPCA can come on to your property and seize your family pet without your consent so I would say the police could probably have a look around without to much trouble.

don't know where you get that info

#226 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:14 PM

No, it was sold as a way of seizing offence-related property AND proceeds of crime. Why would we not seize both?

It was brought in primarily to discourage drug activity by making such activity unprofitable through the seizure of proceeds of crime.

It was not intended to be used to seize cars from drivers with a lead foot and give police departments an opportunity to show off their latest catch at a press event. It imposes an essentially unlimited penalty on an individual with a burden of proof that is nowhere near the level required for criminal convictions.

Penalties and convictions need to be dealt with in the court system, not administratively through an office funded by the very goods they're seizing and selling.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#227 phx

phx
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 06:44 PM

I'd like to see the Civil Forfeiture Office seize the Legislature. There is plenty of wrongdoing there to justify seizure.

#228 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:05 PM

don't know where you get that info

It wasn't second hand, I saw it done, I was the complainant who initiated it.

#229 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:10 PM

It wasn't second hand, I saw it done, I was the complainant who initiated it.

Heres the Act, there is a section about being able to enter without a warrant but only if the animal is in severe distress...but the last part says "other than a dwelling house"

Authority to enter without a warrant14 (1) In this section, "critical distress" means distress in an animal of such a nature that

(a) immediate veterinary treatment cannot prolong the animal's life,

(b) prolonging the animal's life would result in the animal suffering unduly, or

© immediate veterinary intervention is necessary to prevent the imminent death of the animal.

(2) An authorized agent who believes on reasonable grounds that there is an animal in critical distress in any premises, other than a dwelling house, or in any vehicle, aircraft or vessel, may enter the premises, vehicle, aircraft or vessel without a warrant for the purpose of taking any action authorized by this Act to relieve that critical distress.

#230 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:32 PM

^I believe that means to actually enter a residence, I said they could come on your property, your yard, and they did.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users