Photo

299km/h motorbike ride on Highway 1 - Discussions and developments

• Please log in to reply
229 replies to this topic

#41 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:18 PM

Here is another picture..real gangsta from the "hood". He "likes" Mulligan Tam Pearson Law Corporation

He also "likes" Stop-N-Go 24hr Convenience store - We could stake out the place. :D
890-C Esquimalt Rd. @ the corner of Esquimalt Rd. & Head St.

">

What's the Smurf drink?

#42 slinkyo

slinkyo
  • 155 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:20 PM

I could post his picture, but...I'm sure the cops know him anyways.

#43 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:23 PM

I found the clue on Saanich Police Twitter......they know him.

#44 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:37 PM

If they also have his bike it will be easy to see if distinguishing marks match those in the video.

#45 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:45 AM

The video was filmed in West Shore RCMP's jurisdiction. Has there been any release by the RCMP about this incident and why they were unable to have a single vehicle intercept him anywhere along HWY1?

I bet those calling the police weren't sure whether they were in Saanich or View Royal (West Shore RCMP) and this threw a kink into the police response.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#46 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:03 AM

The video was filmed in West Shore RCMP's jurisdiction. Has there been any release by the RCMP about this incident and why they were unable to have a single vehicle intercept him anywhere along HWY1?

I bet those calling the police weren't sure whether they were in Saanich or View Royal (West Shore RCMP) and this threw a kink into the police response.

Live on CFAX this morning, Saanich PD still says they received no calls during the event. They says they also know of none that went through RCMP, unless they "missed some" from callers that had too little information for them to act on.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#47 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:11 AM

^ The Saanich police are of the impression that it started just past McKenzie.

#48 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:26 AM

I think it was the "missed some" that's at issue here. It's unfathomable for there to have been any less than several dozen calls to police. And the BC Transit driver who was passed by him most likely radioed in, too.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#49 Gipper

Gipper
  • 312 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:27 AM

First, this incident would not have been dispatched in time for any Westshore RCMP to intercept, unless by chance an officer was north of the Millstream exit. There then would be a be-on-lookout transferred to Shawnigan RCMP but without a plate or at least solid description it would be hard to have the grounds to even make a lawful stop.

Second, it's virtually impossible to safely intercept a speeding motorcycle. When I was in uniform they would fly by me occasionally on the highway. I wouldn't even bother turning around because I can't catch them and all I'm going to do is push them to to drive harder putting everyone at even more risk. Unless you have a chopper you have to find other means to track them after the fact.

#50 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:39 AM

Thanks for your insight, Gipper.

It's discouraging to hear that the police have their hands tied with cases such like this. To think this guy put the lives of hundreds of people in danger and may never be held accountable is worrying. According to people on the bike board and his history of accidents it's only a matter of time before he kills someone.

Know it all.

#51 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:40 AM

First, this incident would not have been dispatched in time for any Westshore RCMP to intercept, unless by chance an officer was north of the Millstream exit. There then would be a be-on-lookout transferred to Shawnigan RCMP but without a plate or at least solid description it would be hard to have the grounds to even make a lawful stop.

Second, it's virtually impossible to safely intercept a speeding motorcycle. When I was in uniform they would fly by me occasionally on the highway. I wouldn't even bother turning around because I can't catch them and all I'm going to do is push them to to drive harder putting everyone at even more risk. Unless you have a chopper you have to find other means to track them after the fact.

I agree with all of this, it's why I would likely have never called 911 if I saw it.

It still doesn't explain why police say nobody called.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#52 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:44 AM

^ I had to laugh at the term that they use on the bike forum....."Road Crayon".

#53 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:43 AM

I agree with all of this, it's why I would likely have never called 911 if I saw it.

It still doesn't explain why police say nobody called.

If you are the lone occupant, you would be breaking the law if you used your cell. By the time you find a place to pull over what are you going to tell the police? Also many of the witnesses might think that the bike passing was an isolated incident not knowing that it continued on for many KM's.

Why isn't this rider caught, I mean how many blue motorcycles of this make are out there?

How about some photo radar cameras under the overpasses?

#54 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:08 AM

If you are the lone occupant, you would be breaking the law if you used your cell.

Calling 911 is exempt from the law.

#55 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:17 AM

How about some photo radar cameras under the overpasses?

Just a matter of time before someone said it :rolleyes:

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#56 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:08 AM

If you are the lone occupant, you would be breaking the law if you used your cell. By the time you find a place to pull over what are you going to tell the police? Also many of the witnesses might think that the bike passing was an isolated incident not knowing that it continued on for many KM's.

I don't get this. You'd call 911 (without pulling over, because nobody pulls over to use their phones, who are we kidding?) and you'd say some idiot on a blue motorcycle just blew through westbound traffic at 200KMH. You'd describe the colour of his jacket and the colour of his helmet. If you know anything about motorcycles you'd identify the make and model.

If we're playing the "Victorians are less likely to call 911 than folks in other places" card then I'll generally agree, BUT this was a supremely dangerous and obvious activity, in broad daylight, in front of many dozens if not hundreds of witnesses. Nobody called? I just can't choke that down.

I'd bet a donut there's some jurisdictional issue related to 911 and the calls were made and they're just sitting in some archive somewhere. It makes me think of that famous abduction case in Florida and how the 911 calls were fumbled royally:
http://en.wikipedia....enise_Amber_Lee

If police are indeed inclined to dismiss incidents like this as "one-offs" then the police response (or lack thereof) is part of the problem. You don't have to chase the guy. In a case such as this, you shouldn't chase the guy. But you absolutely must call it ahead, and you absolutely must document it as thoroughly as you can. Otherwise, the next time that it happens will be the first time all over again. If he causes a terrible crash at some later date, then you'll sure be willing to spend a lot of time and energy on damage control, acting like it's the first time that you've ever heard of this clown, when it actually isn't the first time.

Anyway, I can guarantee you this guy didn't head all the way back to his garage at 200KMH. He slowed down eventually. He resumed normal driving eventually, stopping at lights and all the rest. Maybe he stopped at a convenience store. Call it ahead and there's a chance that another unit will observe him/intercept him. If he takes off again, who cares? You don't need to chase him. Now you've got his plate number and a detailed description. If his plate number turns out to be fake or whatever else, now you're building the case against him for if and when he eventually gets caught. It all can add up, is what I'm saying. Yes, it may end up being wasted effort if he's constantly switching bikes and constantly moving around, but it's really not much effort when you get right down to it. And it may end up paying off.

#57 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:27 AM

Further to what aastra said, plenty of people have already identified him and he was gloating about it on his Facebook page.

To think police are fumbling around with an IP address according to the mainstream media...

Know it all.

#58 Gipper

Gipper
  • 312 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:45 AM

Aastra, this incident is special because there is video and intense public interest. People drive like this every day in this province. We get driving complaints all the time. They're second only to 911 hangups/pocket dials. Basically our ability to investigate traffic offenses declines as follows:

1. Officer sees offense and stops vehicle without losing sight of it thus confirming driver without doubt; easy to prove.

2. Officer sees offense and loses sight of vehicle but then locates it again and pulls it over; doubt starts to creep in and this is actually difficult to win in court unless it becomes grounds for an impaired.

3. Citizen calls in traffic complaint and keeps suspect vehicle in sight until police pull it over; easy to prove but requires a citizen willing to go to court and able to articulate and remember details.

4. Citizen calls in traffic complaint with plate/good description but loses sight of suspect vehicle, then police find it and pull it over; this is good to go on an impaired because the suspect is still giving off evidence, but difficult to prove if they are sober as the complainant is unlikely to be able to identify the driver.

5. Citizen calls in traffic complaint with with plate/good description but loses sight and police can't find vehicle before it parks; very weak case, virtually impossible to prove who driver is.

6. Citizen calls in with no plate/weak description. Impossible unless while making patrols in the area the police see the vehicle still being driven in an erratic fashion and then it's back to scenario one.

All these scenarios are assuming a routine "driving complaint", not an accident of some sort. These driving complaints that do not lead to charges or convictions do still go on the police records database (for two years) and are viewable on the road by police on any future stops but they cannot be used as evidence for future offenses nor be considered in sentencing.

Now I'm sure some of the above iffy scenarios could be solved if we could dedicate a major crime team to each complaint, but that's not realistic. In a place like West Shore you've got six or seven uniformed cops responding to thirty new files every 12 hour shift plus investigating all their 'still-under-investigation' files from the past weeks/months. There aren't the resources to put into weak traffic complaints.

#59 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:02 PM

All these scenarios are assuming a routine "driving complaint", not an accident of some sort. These driving complaints that do not lead to charges or convictions do still go on the police records database (for two years) and are viewable on the road by police on any future stops but they cannot be used as evidence for future offenses nor be considered in sentencing.

Now I'm sure some of the above iffy scenarios could be solved if we could dedicate a major crime team to each complaint, but that's not realistic. In a place like West Shore you've got six or seven uniformed cops responding to thirty new files every 12 hour shift plus investigating all their 'still-under-investigation' files from the past weeks/months. There aren't the resources to put into weak traffic complaints.

Isn't it still worth it to write a ticket, in all or at least some of those cases? Surely cops don't think they need to be air-tight court cases for the ticket to still have some use.

#60 Gipper

Gipper
  • 312 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:07 PM

Further to what aastra said, plenty of people have already identified him and he was gloating about it on his Facebook page.

To think police are fumbling around with an IP address according to the mainstream media...

This all goes to proving who the driver was. They have to be able to marry up the online entity with the actual suspect. I had to do the exact same thing last summer to solve an online extortion file. Getting subscriber information from IPs takes time as it generally requires a production order (a type of warrant). They need to identify who posted the video as it is the piece of evidence that launched the investigation in the first place.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users