Business owner claims extortion by Victoria City Hall

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:41 PM

A ruptured hot water tank necessitated emergency repairs to the building, but work was stopped by city officials because of a lack of a building permit.

If you need a speedy (sorry) building permit, be prepared to bring extra cash.

NH99bEVxTCM

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:44 PM

The story is missing clarity on exactly what was meant by cash for overtime etc.

Did city officials just say that they go as fast as they can, any faster and "someone would have to pay us overtime", meaning that nobody is going to do that so the time it takes is the time it takes.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:49 PM

The business owner appears to state that he could have paid extra to have the permit application expedited.

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:55 PM

The business owner appears to state that he could have paid extra to have the permit application expedited.

It's not that clear to me.

If you were asking for the permit, would your next question not be "how much extra?", because if it was $20 or $100, you might pay it? Even if you are 110% against corruption, and would not pay even $1 extra, I'm not sure anyone would not at least ask how much. And that question is not addressed in this story.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:58 PM

^ Good point. Maybe he was just pissed off that they made him stop repairing his own building. Good thing a tree didn't fall on his roof.

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:08 PM

^ Good point. Maybe he was just pissed off that they made him stop repairing his own building. Good thing a tree didn't fall on his roof.

The work shows a lot more than just basic "repairs" it should be noted, too. Looks like he was framing in new rooms.

Look, emergency repairs don't need permits. I think he has a right to be upset about delays, but he might have got by OK until he had them. He's got an auto shop, not a bridal-dress boutique or five-star restaurant. I think he could have worked around the problems with somewhat limited damage to his business bottom line. If he couldn't, then that's what business-interruption insurance is for. Plus he should have had a pan and drain for that tiny little water tank, would have saved all his grief. Most every water tank blows up some time. A homeowner might catch it, a business, well, how many hours a week is nobody there?

Also, CTV, "extortion" is not the correct term for what is alleged here.

#7 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:04 AM

This story has always smelled a bit to me.

If I say I have no staff available to do a job and then make a comment that if you are willing to pay for the overtime then they might be available I do not see that as extortion. It simply means that the regular hours are all booked up but if the workers are willing to take on some overtime someone has to pay the extra cash.

I am glad that the city will not pay overtime out of our taxes so this guy can jump the queue.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:11 AM

I think this whole issue rests with who would receive the overtime funds, the City of Victoria or the city staff member asking for the overtime.

If it's the staff member directly, there's a problem. If the funds go through the CoV and are then dispersed as overtime pay, there's no problem.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:59 PM

If I say I have no staff available to do a job and then make a comment that if you are willing to pay for the overtime then they might be available I do not see that as extortion. It simply means that the regular hours are all booked up but if the workers are willing to take on some overtime someone has to pay the extra cash.

I am glad that the city will not pay overtime out of our taxes so this guy can jump the queue.

Presumably the permit fees should cover the cost of issuing the permits, yet there is not sufficient staff to do the job. This begs the question of where the money is going.

#10 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:17 PM

I don't think any inspector is going to come right out and say " I need a bribe".

They will all couch it in terms such as this fellow did.

It would be good to have the guy ask "how much would the overtime cost?", but he didn't.

Mind you, if you call out any trade after hours you are going to pay dearly.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#11 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:15 AM

That type of damage is not uncommon if a water tank has failed and has been running for several hours (or overnight) lots of drywall damage and once the water penetrates you have to expose the wall to inspect any insulation or wiring etc....typical of City Hall to drag their feet when its emergency repairs and to demand permits etc.

If it is repairs by way of replacement then the original construction permit should be good enough with perhaps a simple inspection and a fee to cover the costs of ensuring compliance i.e. labour....but to make a business owner wait and cause inconvenience and then make stupid comments such as the inspector did is simply insensitive.

I've met my fair share of inspectors , plumbing, fire, building etc and for the most part they are fine and will work with you, but there are some power trippers out there that get off on making people squirm....because they can.

I dont blame the owner of this business for complaining and making this accusation....it got some attention when his other attempts were ignored.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users