Aerial Photos of BC from 1940's and 1950's

• Please log in to reply
211 replies to this topic

#61 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:39 PM

I seriously doubt a blimp was involved. The key to a sharp photo like that is a massive negative (I think Mark said they were 4" x 5" or something), and a fast shutter speed. Did you see the size of the camera on the previous page? A big lens lets in a lot of light and permits a fast shutter. Aerial photography by plane was very advanced at the time this picture was taken.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#62 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:45 PM

I don't think it had been discovered yet.

With the exception of that trailer park on Spencer.

#63 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:27 AM

I seriously doubt a blimp was involved. The key to a sharp photo like that is a massive negative (I think Mark said they were 4" x 5" or something), and a fast shutter speed. Did you see the size of the camera on the previous page? A big lens lets in a lot of light and permits a fast shutter. Aerial photography by plane was very advanced at the time this picture was taken.

The camera you mention was designed for wartime use and the plane took photos from high altitudes looking straight down.

Our photos were taken from a low altitude of perhaps 1500 feet looking sideways. Some newspaper photographers used Speed Graphic cameras with sheet film, which produced good quality images.

I would be interested in hearing how the photos were taken and with what kind of camera.

4X5 Speed Graphic

#64 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:56 AM

If you guys want to see some seriously high resolution old-timey photos of New York, circa 1920's, check out Shorpy. You'll be blown away.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#65 MarkP

MarkP
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:38 AM

As far as I can tell, most of these images were taken with a Fairchild K-20 or a Williamson F.24.

See links for photos.

Mark

#66 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:48 PM

As far as I can tell, most of these images were taken with a Fairchild K-20 or a Williamson F.24. See links for photos.
Mark

Thanks Mark,
Do you know what kind of aircraft was used?

#67 Kikadee

Kikadee
  • 247 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:02 AM

If you guys want to see some seriously high resolution old-timey photos of New York, circa 1920's, check out Shorpy. You'll be blown away.

I was going to suggest that this fellow submit his photos to Shorpy. That community would go wild for them.

#68 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:05 AM

I forwarded these to a friend that lived on Fisgard when he was a young teen (he's now in his late 50's).

He spent several hours looking at them, even going up and down in strips, hand noting landmarks at each side of his frame, for his next trip up the next adjacent strip.

He's not a forumer here, but he sends his thanks, MarkP.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#69 MarkP

MarkP
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:35 PM

Thanks Mark,
Do you know what kind of aircraft was used?

Sorry, no idea about the aircraft.

Mark

#70 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:54 PM

Sorry, no idea about the aircraft.

Mark

In the 30's the RCAF used Fairchild 71 and Vickers Vedettes for mapping, in the 40's C47(DC3), and converted Avro Lancaster bombers for aerial surveilance.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#71 MarkP

MarkP
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:06 PM

Got another Victoria one for you guys. It's just north of downtown. Not as sharp as the others and a little higher altitude....but still cool...

http://vintageairphotos.com/bo-54-136/

Mark

#72 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:15 PM

I see that building with the big arched windows was still there at the corner of Government and Herald.

#73 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:23 PM

Ooohhh, this one is very interesting.

Couple reasons, Mark.

First, it shows an real industrial area that they (federal government and BC Hydro) are just now remediating. Around where the two big round gas silos are. That was a coal gasification plant, the coal came in by rail from Nanaimo. And they also burned some to make electricity there too.

Secondly it shows how the road has changed very much by the arena (white roof). The main drag out of town runs by there, but now runs down and beside the other arch roof building (Bay Sy. Armory).

This is great.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#74 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:18 PM

I like all the junk stacked up behind Capital Iron.

The log booms also remind me of the plywood mill on the Gorge.

A couple more inches lower and we could have seen Jimmy Little's store on Quadra.

#75 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:37 PM

A couple of oddities for me. What is the circular thing behind the arena and why was the road to the east of the armory angled like that? Obviously gave Blanshard its shape now.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#76 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:06 PM

A couple of oddities for me. What is the circular thing behind the arena and why was the road to the east of the armory angled like that? Obviously gave Blanshard its shape now.

That was originally called Rose Street and you can see the old right of way for the Victoria Sidney Railway just east of the road.

The thing behind the arena is on top of the high rock out-crop that used to be there. It might have been the walls to one of the buildings that the circus used when it came to town.

The photo also show the railyards by Capital Iron and the siding with two freight cars at Kelly Douglas warehouse(now Value Village)

There also seems to be a couple of olds hulls tied up behind Capital Iron to the north. They were in the process of scrapping of the upper decks.

I have always wondered about the purpose of the tunnel under Bay Street new Bridge Street. It is still there today, and I think the streetcars used to cross the harbour near there, but l don't think they could fit through it.

#77 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:10 AM

This picture again shows buildings on the lot now to be developed into the Union. Can someone inform me as to why these were torn down in the first place?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#78 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:49 AM

I did not know the V & S rail was way out there. Somehow I just assumed it came in the Lochside Trail and used the CN track to the harbour. Or maybe it did, and had a second spur? Becasue the trail/rail now does come that route from Lochside north of Quadra/McKenzie, then across Quadra behind the Winery.

It began as part of a dream—a dream to directly connect lower Vancouver Island to the transcontinental lines by rail and ferry. While that expectation was fulfilled, for some its continued existence became a nightmare. Its schedule was by no means punctual. The roadbed and equipment received minimal maintenance. Some of its station facilities defined the word "rustic". Its owners were content to ask the Victoria and provincial governments for annual interest guarantee payments. There was little incentive for it to be profitable. But, for two decades, beginning in the 1890s, the "Cordwood Limited", as it came to be known, was the only service, apart from rural dirt roads, that Saanich Peninsula residents had for travelling to and from Victoria or for shipping and receiving farm products and other goods.

The V & S Railway was one of Great Northern's more obscure and most charming rail operations. A classic pioneer shortline built in the late 1800s, it was in continuous use from 1892-1919, coming under the aegis of the GN system in 1902. Even as shortlines go, the V & S was definitely short: from mudsill to stringer, and from the Sidney wharf to the market station in Victoria, it never aggregated much more than 16 miles! Its importance lay not in the achievement or failure of some grand scheme but in its simple utility as a carrier of people and goods.

This is a story of great expectations, shrewd business, and political dealing. At the same time, it gives a glimpse of the early growth of the Saanich Peninsula and the town of Sidney.

http://www.sononis.c...hk=1&Itemid=186

Anybody know the route?

#79 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:06 PM

^ http://www.sidneymus...ey-railway.html

#80 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,113 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:08 PM

^ Here is another one explaining all three penninsula railroads

http://www.sidneymus...ey-railway.html

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users