175 replies to this topic

#101 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:47 PM

Oh, nparker :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#102 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:49 PM

Oh, nparker :)

It's been a long week. What can I say?  :wacko:

#103 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:09 PM

Mea culpa. To anyone I may have inadvertently offended with my above posts, I sincerely apologize. They were meant in the spirit of humour, but in retrospect I realize they may not have played well in the open forum. I do my damnedest to control my baser instincts, but from time-to-time the little red devil on my shoulder shouts the loudest. I have told the mods to remove the posts if they get complaints. I promise to work harder from now on to be more sensitive to what I commit to semi-permanence on VV. 

• Mike K. and rjag like this

#104 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:47 PM

Also a Trutch Street in Vancouver. This is from 2012:

A prominent B.C. historian and a city councillor both say that while Trutch’s views would not be acceptable to society today, the city should not try to revise history by changing the street name.

“Some past leaders may have been great contributors in some respects and held deplorable views in others, and I think that was often the case in B.C.’s history,” said Coun. Geoff Meggs.

“I would rather debate what the consequences are today of Trutch’s actions than to spend too much time trying to erase his name from a street sign.”

http://www.vancouver...6738/story.html

#105 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:04 PM

I guess the good news in all of this is that we will never ever get a street named Helps.

• Nparker likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#106 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:36 PM

Mea culpa. To anyone I may have inadvertently offended with my above posts, I sincerely apologize. They were meant in the spirit of humour, but in retrospect I realize they may not have played well in the open forum. I do my damnedest to control my baser instincts, but from time-to-time the little red devil on my shoulder shouts the loudest. I have told the mods to remove the posts if they get complaints. I promise to work harder from now on to be more sensitive to what I commit to semi-permanence on VV.

No offence taken. As someone with Jewish blood in my veins I think it was a bit off colour but knowing the context I had a bit of a chuckle after I spat my drink over the keyboard. So if you buy me a new keyboard I’ll promise to put a good word in for you at the upcoming CoV council meeting where they will be discussing your comment and the impact it may have on citizens a hundred years from now with the resultant funding requisition for therapy
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#107 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:35 PM

First they'll have to rename North Park...

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#108 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:22 PM

But every dude back then was bad by today's standards. But at the time they thought they were pretty enlightened compared to previous generations.

There's a street in Victoria named after a distant relative of mine. I fear he'll be on the chopping block next. If you start renaming streets it's all or nothing. You can't do just one or two.

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#109 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 11:11 PM

I guess the good news in all of this is that we will never ever get a street named Helps.

Perhaps we should have a contest?  Maybe we can rename the 900 block of Pandora 'Helps Way'?

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#110 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:45 AM

Back when I was in South Africa it was a bit difficult driving around and following maps as street names were being actively changed all over the place.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#111 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 09:53 AM

Back when I was in South Africa it was a bit difficult driving around and following maps as street names were being actively changed all over the place.

I bet that improved the living conditions in the townships.

#112 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:09 AM

Sure did!

Know it all.

#113 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:05 PM

City representative on VV's facebook page is  claiming that the name change of Trutch St is fake news.

#114 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:11 PM

City representative on VV's facebook page is  claiming that the name change of Trutch St is fake news.

We see that, and we are investigating.  Three of us heard it on CFAX yesterday.  The CFAX website is not proving useful, since it lists 1pm segments, even though Brennae's show does not begin until 3pm.

screenshot-www.iheartradio.ca-2018-01-13-12-13-08-331.png

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 13 January 2018 - 12:22 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#115 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:07 PM

We see that, and we are investigating.  Three of us heard it on CFAX yesterday. 

What was the context? News cast? Call in?

#116 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 01:11 PM

What was the context? News cast? Call in?

At the end of the Mayor's segment (3pm to 4pm) the host, Mark Brennae, apologized to the audience for the topics he did not get to, including "renaming of Trutch Street, this Tuesday" or something very similar.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#117 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:30 PM

Mark and I spoke on the phone yesterday early afternoon after the City of Victoria posted to our Facebook page that there was no plan afoot to rename Trutch Street.

What happened was a producer at the station likely caught wind of a UVic meeting scheduled for Tuesday to discuss the Trutch issue, and somehow the information was misconstrued that the street in Victoria was being renamed on Tuesday. The information was then prepared as a question for the host (Mark) to pose before the mayor. When asked, the mayor replied that she was not aware that that was planned so the host and the mayor moved on to another topic.

It was an honest mistake and once the producer realized that no renaming was to take place it was too late to issue a retraction during the host's segment. I believe they meant to issue a retraction but it got lost in translation.

Two or so hours later we asked our followers to forward their ideas for a new name.

Know it all.

#118 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:37 PM

And we contacted the CFAX host on his day off for clarification. I think we did all we could.

#119 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:40 PM

At the end of the Mayor's segment (3pm to 4pm) the host, Mark Brennae, apologized to the audience for the topics he did not get to, including "renaming of Trutch Street, this Tuesday" or something very similar.

Rename it Trundler.

Edited by Bingo, 14 January 2018 - 11:40 PM.

#120 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:03 AM

Some UVic prof was on Al Ferraby this morning advertising the community consultation on Tuesday at the Cook Village community room at 380 Cook to have a dialogue about the process to rename the street....sounds like another Tent City where Council isnt in front of it but will indicate that the community has spoken and their hands are tied....games...

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users