Interesting and colourful street names in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

#121 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:05 AM

Some UVic prof was on Al Ferraby this morning advertising the community consultation on Tuesday at the Cook Village community room at 380 Cook to have a dialogue about the process to rename the street....sounds like another Tent City where Council isnt in front of it but will indicate that the community has spoken and their hands are tied....games...

AUDIO from CFAX this morning.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#122 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:10 AM

http://people.geog.uvic.ca/?q=Reuben

I am currently an Associate Professor of Geography as well as a member of the Cultural, Social, and Political Thought program. 

Sounds like one of Isitts buddies https://www.uvic.ca/...dwoodreuben.php watch his video

Feel sorry for the folks who live on Trutch as he needs a local 'win' to justify his beliefs

Edited by rjag, 15 January 2018 - 07:12 AM.

#123 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:39 AM

This prof reminds me of this

26734089_2048279875198716_81216416436054

• Nparker likes this

#124 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 03:31 PM

I read a passage in the Dictionary of Canadian Biography of which there is a section on William Trutch. Apparently his 'famous' comments regarding natives had nothing to do with local FN. He had written a letter with the comments to his parents when he was in Oregon, 7 years before he came here. The book, which was written in 1966, also refers to Trutch as someone who took FN wishes into consideration when laying out reserves and protected lands against encroachment. 

Sounds like he treated the FN far better than Douglas did but I guess that time allows us to change the narrative as we see fit.

#125 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 03:33 PM

...Sounds like he treated the FN far better than Douglas did but I guess that time allows us to change the narrative as we see fit.

Maybe Douglas Street should be renamed.  :blink:

#126 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,337 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:55 PM

It's a slippery slope. At the end of it all, Victoria needs to be renamed. 

Anyone register vibrantsonghees.ca yet?

Edited by lanforod, 15 January 2018 - 07:55 PM.

• Mike K. likes this

#127 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:06 PM

...At the end of it all, Victoria needs to be renamed...

Hasn't that been suggested a few times? Camosack or such?

• VicHockeyFan and rjag like this

#128 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:33 PM

TRUTCH   - C  = TRUTH

#129 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:40 AM

It's a slippery slope. At the end of it all, Victoria needs to be renamed. 

Anyone register vibrantsonghees.ca yet?

That is how it works. What is the current justification for raising this issue, UVIC did it. Next it will be Douglas since he treated FN worse than Trutch and then Begbie because he hung 5 FN chiefs (after they murdered 30 odd innocent people but that seems to have been forgotten) and then Blanshard because he was Governor when Douglas was around. 

#130 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:24 PM

CBC News:

If Trutch Street is eventually renamed, (Ben) Isitt predicted more proposals for changes elsewhere will follow.

He said any proposals would be considered by the City of Victoria's advisory board with the Songhees and Esquimalt First Nations. But he suggested a couple of other street names are 'low-hanging fruit."

"Sutlej Street [in the Cook Street Village neighbourhood] was a gunship that levelled a dozen indigenous villages," Isitt said. "The captain of that ship was Admiral Denman (a street in Fernwood)."

The question of how far to go in reconciling past wrongs through name changes will be a discussion for the community, he said.

https://l.facebook.c...P5-09whNBAnnh8Q

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 16 January 2018 - 08:24 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#131 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:32 PM

...Isitt ...said any proposals would be considered by the City of Victoria's advisory board with the Songhees and Esquimalt First Nations. ...

How about consulting with the rest of the CoV who may or may not want street names changed all over the place.  :mad:

#132 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:40 AM

How about consulting with the rest of the CoV who may or may not want street names changed all over the place.  :mad:

How about consulting the people who actually live on the street!

Lets face it, 99% of Victorians likely didn't even know there was a street named Trutch let alone the guy's background. The only people who really cared were the academics who are trying to justify their existence.

We used to say that the most annoying activists were the retirees who had the time, means and education to raise a ruckus. Unfortunately now all you need is time. A few strokes on a keyboard and social media is all it takes d to make up facts and stories and create outage.

Edited by spanky123, 17 January 2018 - 08:43 AM.

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker, rjag and 1 other like this

#133 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:00 AM

Yup white guilt is becoming an epidemic. I will bet that most folks never heard of Trutch St and never heard of Trutch the person

• Nparker likes this

#134 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:16 AM

Isitt claims the worst names in need of immediate change like Trutch are "low-hanging fruit" implying that other names aren't worth the trouble of changing.

The problem with that is you've now created a line of acceptable/not acceptable behaviour.

You now have to create a scorecard. One hundred points and his street is taken away.

#135 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:19 AM

Can’t say that I did.

Yesterday on CFAX a young lady was talking about the desire to rename the street. She admitted, when asked, that no name is off limits if researchers can uncover a dirty secret or a non PC past. She said this in reference to Victoria being renamed if it’s one day decided Queen Victoria’s name is no longer fitting for the city. Although I don’t know if Victoria is named solely for the queen, and not partially after the Goddess Victoria/Victory.

Recall that Isitt was involved several years back in the unofficial renaming of Mount Doug. It was renamed Mt Pkols, but the name was never officially adopted. There was a similar renaming effort for Mt Tolmie, I think.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#136 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:36 AM

In 1843 it was named for the Queen, I think that's clear.

Hey, I've already said we'd make gains if we renamed the Island.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 17 January 2018 - 09:37 AM.

#137 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:39 AM

Named for the Queen, but the symbolism used in the official crest of whatever it's called refers to the goddess of victory.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#138 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:55 AM

In 1843 it was named for the Queen, I think that's clear.

Hey, I've already said we'd make gains if we renamed the Island.

The majority of the world already thinks it's called Victoria Island, so adding a third name will just confuse people further :)

On the topic of name changing, I remember when I lived in Montreal they were in the middle of changing a street name, and a non-profit came forward asking the city to cover the costs of all of the administrative aspects related to the change of legal address - incorporation documents, business licenses and tax information, banking and cheques, pre-printed letterhead and business cards, etc etc. I don't know what ended up happening, but it's something that I had never thought about before.

#139 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:06 AM

They think it's called Victoria Island partly because they know Vancouver, and know it's not there, so Vancouver Island does not sound right to them.  

Add that to the fact that not many largely populated islands are that familiar to people.  So it's hard to get the concept of many cities on islands.  Or at least they do not know the names of cities on many islands, like they know the name Victoria.  I think you'd be hard-pressed to find many western Canadians that could name even a single city on Long Island, New York.

The whole island thing is justifiably confusing to people, it's just a somewhat rare thing.

Ask your co-workers in the office with your right now, "what's the name of the island Haiti is on?"  See, islands are confusing things.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 17 January 2018 - 10:08 AM.

#140 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:17 AM

...Ask your co-workers in the office with you right now, "what's the name of the island Haiti is on?"...

S***hole island???

• VicHockeyFan, spanky123, North Shore and 1 other like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users