Alberta provincial politics

• Please log in to reply
194 replies to this topic

#21 Layne French

Layne French
  • 355 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:29 AM

This +1.

Per Danma if they can stick to "thinking straight, being pro-business and sticking to the straight and narrow" and not resort as certain of their BC contemporaries have over the years to some 'hard core, serious left leaning, social engineering loving and all things America hating' ideology - which even most people in BC don't give a rat's poop about these days, then they might actually do well.

They need to remember that while *urban* Alberta may be more left leaning than most realize the fact remains they also now must count upon and deal with, among the governed, High River and Cochrane cowboys, who in general have and live by a very different philosophical and value code which in general does not include hugging trees or forcing everyone out of their cars in favor of bicycles.Strike that balance and Alberta might start to look very different in a few short years.

your making it sound like you have a NDP focused council.... I don't think the province will be stepping on many municipal toes anymore more than the PCs did ramming their ideals of what cities need to solve their issues such as traffic..... cough bypass roads cough. The solution for traffic congestion heading into calgary is most certainly a bypass ring road :rtfm:  

Honestly Alberta needs to be able to have discussions without taking options off the table, Grim Jim almost did but when he said nothing was off the table except corporate taxes this sent the wrong message. Whether you agree with that or not is irrelevant the point its it sounds like Everyone needs to kick in, except some. 

I predict..... nothing will happen and all this gloom and doom from politics is just theatrics. At the end of the day, the economic business cycle will continue on and Alberta will start to grow again.

• Nparker likes this

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:34 AM

Watch the CAD take a tumble tomorrow.

Oil is up, dollar is up.  TSX is down.

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#23 jonny

jonny
  • 8,624 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:35 AM

May 6, 2015 - "NDP victory sends energy stocks tumbling."

Buy! Buy! Buy!

#24 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,266 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:38 AM

Oil is up, dollar is up.  TSX is down.

I assumed the TSX would fall, as would the CAD, but rising oil prices are softening the blow.

Alberta is going to be in for a rocky ride over the next few years as a bunch of rookie politicians learn the ropes.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#25 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:44 AM

Ya.  I think you had to figure oil would go up.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#26 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 17,930 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:20 AM

This'll be interesting to watch. I'm not writing off the NDP quite yet. 

Interesting to see Jim Prentice resign from the seat he was elected to.  Was he in it for the people or the power? 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#27 jonny

jonny
  • 8,624 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:24 AM

Aren't Albertans still pissed about Redford?

In any case, every once in a while you have to change the sheets. 43 years is a long time to have really no turnover, except for when PC MLAs decided to finally retire.

#28 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,266 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:24 AM

Well, the CAD just lost all of its gains.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#29 spanky123

spanky123
  • 10,343 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 10:15 AM

There are serious major systemic problems with polling in Canada. The single biggest problem is that they do not know if the people they are polling are the ones that will be voting.

Most pollsters normally get a response rate of 80%-90% of the public opinions on who they will vote for but only around 50% will actually vote.

The pollsters also weight their polls according to demographics and not according to who votes and who does not.

Both these things add such a large systemic margin or error to functionally make most polling little better than an educated guess. My estimate is that the systemic margin of error for most polls is in the range of +-15 percentage points

There needs to be some very serious academic study done on polling methodology by statisticians

Personally I think that is why all of the political parties are supporting the bill to make voter names available to the ridings. With social media and big data you can buy lists of people and how they intend to vote. Those lists are far more accurate than any poll. What you are missing of course is the intent to vote. Tying in previous voter lists closes that off.

I think that the whole election marketing process is undergoing a massive change. Why spend hundreds of millions on polling, TV and print campaigns when you can now market 1:1 on issues relevant to the people who will actually turn out to vote.

#30 spanky123

spanky123
  • 10,343 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 10:30 AM

Guys on this forum that I trust say this is temporary.  I'm just at a loss to understand why of all parties the NDP is where folks would go.

Seems crazy.  But in any event only so much can be done.

What tends to happen with left leaning parties is that they get elected on the promise to tax the rich and corporations and benefit the middle class and poor. After the election reality sets in and it isn't that simple. Corporations and the rich are far too mobile and the economy far too dependent on what they produce.

#31 Nparker

Nparker
  • 21,166 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 10:38 AM

Perhaps the title of this thread needs some tweaking?

#32 LJ

LJ
  • 8,572 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:14 AM

Is it temporary? I don't necessarily think it has to be. If Notley takes it nice and easy and demonstrates a capacity for thinking straight, being pro-business and sticking to the straight and narrow then the NDP have a good chance to be more than a simple protest vote. She's no dummy, and the Alberta NDP could develop their own brand of the NDP to fruition there

In other words, if she becomes a conservative.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#33 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,266 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:41 AM

I wonder what their economic strategy will be. Tax oil, and just keep taxing oil?

So is Saskatchewan next? Manitoba is already orange.

Know it all.

#34 Nparker

Nparker
  • 21,166 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 12:17 PM

..So is Saskatchewan next?..

As I am sure most people know, Saskatchewan is essentially the birth place of the NDP: http://www.thecanadi...mocratic-party/

#35 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 12:56 PM

What tends to happen with left leaning parties is that they get elected on the promise to tax the rich and corporations and benefit the middle class and poor. After the election reality sets in and it isn't that simple. Corporations and the rich are far too mobile and the economy far too dependent on what they produce.

Of course.  And taxing corporations only leads to higher consumer prices.  The strategy simply does not work.  The way to fix the budget is through spending cuts.  Or run more deficits, that's the NDP way anyway.

And it's laughable that they would consider higher oil royalties at a time when hundreds are losing their oil patch jobs.  If and when oil gets back over $80 that might be possible.

#36 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 45,266 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 01:19 PM

Here's their plan: PST.

They'll phase it in with something small like 2%, or only on select goods like vehicles and gas, then they'll start ramping up the flow into the trough until they reach a happy 7% on everything (provided voters keep the gravy train going for at least two more elections). The "rich" (read middle class earner who is at best one or two steps ahead of the Jones') must be punished at all cost, you see.

Btw, the new premier's husband is the president of a major labor union in Alberta, so you know which way the pendulum will swing.

Know it all.

#37 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 01:20 PM

Everyone hates consumption taxes.  Surely government have learned that by now.  Just tamp up the income tax a bit, nobody seems to notice that.

#38 lanforod

lanforod
  • 6,672 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 May 2015 - 01:27 PM

Two of their planks:

• A boost in the corporate tax rate to 12 per cent from 10 per cent. Increase in the minimum wage to $15 an hour by 2018. Current wage is $10.20.
  • More tax brackets for high earners than the Tories are proposing: a 12 per cent rate on income between $125,000 and $150,000; 13 per cent on income between $150,000 and $200,000; 14 per cent between $200,000 and $300,000 and 15 per cent over $300,000. NDP would also roll back the Tory health levy.

note for comparison, BC's current tax rates:

2015 Taxable Income 2015 Tax Rates

first $37,869 5.06%

over $37,869 up to $75,740 7.70%

over $75,740 up to $86,958 10.50%

over $86,958 up to $105,592 12.29%

over $105,592 up to $151,050 14.70%

over $151,050 16.80%

Edited by lanforod, 06 May 2015 - 01:30 PM.

#39 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 01:30 PM

It'll be interesting to see if they can make that $15 minimum wage.  Everyone does know that that will result in increased prices and almost certainly higher unemployment and more on welfare, right?

#40 jonny

jonny
  • 8,624 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 01:37 PM

If you've only been making $10.20/hr in Alberta over the past decade, something must seriously be wrong with you.

Edited by jonny, 06 May 2015 - 01:37 PM.

• lanforod likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.