Alberta provincial politics

• Please log in to reply
261 replies to this topic

#41 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 01:40 PM

If you've only been making $10.20/hr in Alberta over the past decade, something must seriously be wrong with you.

About 25,000 people are, apparently.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...onday-1.2752101

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#42 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,273 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:00 PM

Add tips to that and you're making more.

Let's not forget that a lot of minimum wage jobs are held by immigrants who can't get better employment no matter what their credentials are. There's nothing seriously wrong with someone who is held back by Canadian labour inequality or prejudices.

• http likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#43 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:09 PM

Ya, there are 110,000 hospitality workers in Alberta.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#44 jonny

jonny
  • 9,175 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:11 PM

About 25,000 people are, apparently.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...onday-1.2752101

So less than 1% of the province's population. Don't many of those 26,000 work in the service industry and make far more than minimum wage when gratuities are included?

#45 jonny

jonny
  • 9,175 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:12 PM

I guess my point is that raising the minimum wage in Alberta won't really do much. Most workers, even those working at fast food restaurants and grocery stores, have been making far more than the minimum wage.

#46 spanky123

spanky123
  • 11,316 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:13 PM

Of course.  And taxing corporations only leads to higher consumer prices.  The strategy simply does not work.  The way to fix the budget is through spending cuts.  Or run more deficits, that's the NDP way anyway.

And it's laughable that they would consider higher oil royalties at a time when hundreds are losing their oil patch jobs.  If and when oil gets back over $80 that might be possible.

Taxing corporations will just get them to move. The reason why there are so many head offices in Calgary and Edmonton is because of the lower tax rate. Raise that rate and my bet is a lot of them move back to more central Provinces.

Edited by spanky123, 06 May 2015 - 02:14 PM.

#47 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:21 PM

I guess my point is that raising the minimum wage in Alberta won't really do much. Most workers, even those working at fast food restaurants and grocery stores, have been making far more than the minimum wage.

True.  But the most affected workers will be youth, those with disabilities, and those with limited skills.  They simply won't get jobs.

#48 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:57 PM

"And taxing corporations only leads to higher consumer prices."

Just wanted to point out that pretty much everything seems to just lead to that anyway... but meanwhile, wages seem to stay pretty stagnant for the bulk of the workforce.

This will be an interesting, and I expect one term, experiment in Alberta.  If, after 2 years, the province doesn't resemble the upcoming MAD MAX FURY ROAD, I'll count it as a win for the NDP.

• jonny likes this

#49 Layne French

Layne French
  • 355 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:01 PM

Taxing corporations will just get them to move. The reason why there are so many head offices in Calgary and Edmonton is because of the lower tax rate. Raise that rate and my bet is a lot of them move back to more central Provinces.

yes because there are is a huge abundance of petroleum engineers and geologist and their institutions in London Ontario....

Companies agglomerate for multiple reasons, including social capital, natural advantage, proximity to customer or suppliers, I bet Calgary's oil firms and Edmonton's oil service firms are not going to be heading anywhere...... 

These are the same reasons why silicon valley still exists.

#50 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:27 PM

Of course.  And taxing corporations only leads to higher consumer prices.  The strategy simply does not work.  The way to fix the budget is through spending cuts.  Or run more deficits, that's the NDP way anyway.

Actually economists are realizing more and more that austerity does not work, and is in fact a great way to prolong recessions. (A lesson we should already know from the depression).

http://www.washingto...han-we-thought/

Edited by pherthyl, 06 May 2015 - 05:32 PM.

• jonny likes this

#51 Nparker

Nparker
  • 22,870 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:29 PM

Both oil and the Canadian dollar up (slightly) today.

#52 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:33 PM

Actually economists are almost unanimous that austerity does not work, and is in fact a great way to prolong recessions.

Cutting useless fat from government operations is never a bad idea.   General "austerity" without foresight is probably bad.

And as opposed to raising taxes, austerity is always the better option.  No study has ever indicated raising taxes is your way to economic gains.

#53 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:50 PM

Cutting useless fat from government operations is never a bad idea.   General "austerity" without foresight is probably bad.

And as opposed to raising taxes, austerity is always the better option.  No study has ever indicated raising taxes is your way to economic gains.

Problem is the people doing the cutting can't tell the fat from the muscle.

As for raising taxes never being a good idea, I don't agree.   If that was the case then lowering taxes would always be a good idea and where do you stop?  Clearly there's a balance here.

#54 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:55 PM

I agree it's a complex issue. But threatening to tax the rich (that pay the lions share of taxes) and corporations (that are owned by tax paying Canadians) is good for political points, but has little basis in good economics.

#55 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 06:05 PM

I agree it's a complex issue. But threatening to tax the rich (that pay the lions share of taxes) and corporations (that are owned by tax paying Canadians) is good for political points, but has little basis in good economics.

Thing is, you can't tax the poor because they don't have the money, so you're essentially saying don't raise taxes on anyone again.  

I find it interesting that the very business friendly Alberta with decades of conservative rule and low corporate/personal taxes is still in this big mess from the collapse in the oil price.  You'd think almost 50 years of business friendly environment would have created a robust economy that is not just a one trick resource pony.

• Nparker likes this

#56 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 06:10 PM

Ah and therein lies the rub. Almost every government says they will only run deficits in bad years, but they rarely pay money back in good years.

I'm no federal Liberal or Martin fan, but they delivered on this file.
  • pherthyl likes this

#57 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 06:15 PM

Good overview of the balance between taxes and the economy is here: http://useconomy.abo...affer-Curve.htm

#58 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,273 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 06:26 PM

Both oil and the Canadian dollar up (slightly) today.

It tried to spike to a high of 19.5 cents USD along with the price of oil, but the market had none of it and scaled it back to 20.5. That's quite the swing.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#59 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,273 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 06:34 PM

yes because there are is a huge abundance of petroleum engineers and geologist and their institutions in London Ontario....

Companies agglomerate for multiple reasons, including social capital, natural advantage, proximity to customer or suppliers, I bet Calgary's oil firms and Edmonton's oil service firms are not going to be heading anywhere...... 

These are the same reasons why silicon valley still exists.

Never say never. Only 30 years ago Montreal was Canada's business hub.

Know it all.

#60 LJ

LJ
  • 8,882 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:13 PM

The new Calgary-Bow MLA is "committed to achieving excellency." I guess she wants to be queen.

http://www.kijiji.ca...gationFlag=true

She also has a great Facebook picture giving the finger to the Canadian Flag

I love this part - "Attention to detail to ensure accuracy," and she's spelled her own name wrong in the first paragraph! 

What the fxxx have you done Alberta?

• Mike K. and AllseeingEye like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users