Photo

North Korea

• Please log in to reply
461 replies to this topic

#1 Bingo

Bingo
  • 15,757 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:14 PM

North Korea threatens 'special actions' to take out South Korean government.

"North Korean armed forces will use "unprecedented peculiar means and methods of our own style" to carry out the actions, the official Korean Central News Agency said in a report, adding that the operation would take 3 or 4 minutes."

http://edition.cnn.c....html?hpt=hp_t3

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:49 AM

That border is the most militarized border in the world, and 28,000 US troops are there.

“sends a clear message that the United States is committed to the security of our ally and that the commander in chief stands with those 28,000 Americans that are serving on the Korean peninsula.”

http://worldnews.msn...eedoms-frontier

The fact is, if the 1-milion man North Korean army wanted to march into Seoul (just 25 miles south) they would have no problem doing just that.

But that's why the US troops are there. Killing of thousands of Amercians in order to do that would give the US a green light to take out the North, even with nuclear weapons. If only South Korean troops stood guard, the US would not have worldwide support for the protection of the South in the event of an attack from the North.

So that's really the sole purpose of 28,000 Americans there.

Consider that the US only has 20,000 border patrol guards for all of the US. So they spend as much or more protecting South Korea as they do their own borders.

http://en.wikipedia....s_Border_Patrol
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 rjag

rjag
  • 3,657 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:15 AM

Well who would you rather have as a neighbour?

And do you honestly think that South Korea does not cover the costs of having the US Troops there.....it may be in cash or in kind i.e. trade or other.

By the time the civil war of the Koreas had halted, six million of their countrymen--civilian and military personnel--had perished. Nearly half a million Communist Chinese comrades-in-arms of the North Koreans, soldiers of the People’s Liberation Army, were killed in action. To add to the bloodbath: The Americans who supplied the largest contingent by far for the United Nations Command suffered 103,284 wounded, 54,236 deaths including 33,629 killed in combat and 8,177 missing in action. Canada's casualties totalled 1,558 including 516 who died. The total number of UN Forces (including South Korea) killed, wounded or missing was 996,937.

http://www.kvacanada..._korean_war.htm

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:26 AM

I'm not complaining or suggesting it's not necessary. I'm just pointing it out.

People complain about our casualties in Afghanistan, or how long the war there is taking. As you point out, over 500 Canadians were killed in Korea. And that was 60+ years ago, and look how many US troops are still there. Wars and their aftermath take some time to fix.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,095 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:19 AM

That border is the most militarized border in the world, and 28,000 US troops are there.

http://worldnews.msn...eedoms-frontier

The fact is, if the 1-milion man North Korean army wanted to march into Seoul (just 25 miles south) they would have no problem doing just that.

But that's why the US troops are there. Killing of thousands of Amercians in order to do that would give the US a green light to take out the North, even with nuclear weapons. If only South Korean troops stood guard, the US would not have worldwide support for the protection of the South in the event of an attack from the North.

So that's really the sole purpose of 28,000 Americans there.

Consider that the US only has 20,000 border patrol guards for all of the US. So they spend as much or more protecting South Korea as they do their own borders.

http://en.wikipedia....s_Border_Patrol

Afraid I would have to disagree with this: it is not a given the NK Army would or could simply march into Seoul any old time they feel like it; for starters the South Koreans have about 700K in their own very well equipped army (not to mention their Air Force and Navy both of which far exceed the capabilities of the North) which packs its own lethal punch with a hell of a lot of armament labelled "Very High Explosive...Do not Touch". They would be literally throwing everything they have at any NK incursion particularly on a massed scale.

Secondly consider the largest US overseas naval fleet on the planet sits in perpetuity in southern Japan, not to mention their nuclear Aircraft Carrier task force which is always patrolling around Taiwan in the South China Sea.

Unless the North Koreans launched an all out - and I do mean all out (including nuclear weaponry) surprise attack in which case the entire peninsula including NK becomes uninhabitable - I would give them about 20 minutes before the US made sure they experienced a very bad day. Of course that scenario is highly unlikely since the NK's are entirely dependent upon China for their own meagre subsistence-level survival. And you can bet the Chinese and US routinely talk about how to keep them in check while allowing the Big Boys to maintain face, since it is in no one's interest to let the NK dog have too much leash.

#6 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:41 AM

Afraid I would have to disagree with this: it is not a given the NK Army would or could simply march into Seoul any old time they feel like it; for starters the South Koreans have about 700K in their own very well equipped army (not to mention their Air Force and Navy both of which far exceed the capabilities of the North) which packs its own lethal punch with a hell of a lot of armament labelled "Very High Explosive...Do not Touch". They would be literally throwing everything they have at any NK incursion particularly on a massed scale.

Secondly consider the largest US overseas naval fleet on the planet sits in perpetuity in southern Japan, not to mention their nuclear Aircraft Carrier task force which is always patrolling around Taiwan in the South China Sea.

Unless the North Koreans launched an all out - and I do mean all out (including nuclear weaponry) surprise attack in which case the entire peninsula including NK becomes uninhabitable - I would give them about 20 minutes before the US made sure they experienced a very bad day. Of course that scenario is highly unlikely since the NK's are entirely dependent upon China for their own meagre subsistence-level survival. And you can bet the Chinese and US routinely talk about how to keep them in check while allowing the Big Boys to maintain face, since it is in no one's interest to let the NK dog have too much leash.

OK, I'm with you. I didn't say it would be pretty, but I think it could be done. But if you don't go for my reasoning, what's the point of 28,000 US troops, among 700k South Koreans? I should say I'm no military expert, but my opinion comes in part from discussions with a good friend that helps prepare daily intelligence briefings for the Canadian PM.

#7 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,095 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

Think of the US troops as a "tripwire" i.e. you want this chunk of land - fine - then you have to go through and kill US combatants. Once you do that...well...see the aforementioned consequences in the form of about 1,000,000 tons of US Navy ships and ordinance.

Interesting comment VHF about the intelligence briefing for the PM. I wonder if your source is the same as mine? Does (s)he happen to be locally educated by any chance? With degrees in History from UVic among other places? :D.

Regardless, and despite the fact I have the utmost respect for Canadian intelligence efforts generally - globally we punch well above our weight in that arena - whatever that person knows or thinks they know when it comes to strategic matters pertainig to Korean affairs, I will take my US intelligence source over the Canadian.

#8 Bingo

Bingo
  • 15,757 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:40 PM

Bomb Test

North Korea says it has successfully carried out a hydrogen bomb test, which if confirmed, will be a first for the reclusive regime and a significant advancement for its military ambitions.

A hydrogen bomb is more powerful than plutonium weapons, which is what North Korea used in its three previous underground nuclear tests.

"If there's no invasion on our sovereignty we will not use nuclear weapon," the North Korean state news agency said.
"This H-bomb test brings us to a higher level of nuclear power."

A senior U.S. administration told CNN it could take days to obtain the scientific data to determine whether this was a successful test.

http://www.cnn.com/2...vent/index.html

#9 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,095 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 06 January 2016 - 06:16 PM

Hard to believe I am in agreement with Donald Chump but on this one issue (North Korea) I do agree; the most effective way to keep that androgynous little punk in the "People's Democratic" paradise in check is to lean on China and convince them to keep their North Korean dog on a very tight leash. Without Chinese economic backing and political support they are nothing:

http://www.cnn.com/2...tion/index.html

• sebberry likes this

#10 Sparky

Sparky

Super Duper Moderator...one spark at a time

• 9,740 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 06:39 PM

I had to look up androgynous. :wacko:

• AllseeingEye and sebberry like this

#11 LJ

LJ
  • 8,127 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 07:14 PM

US is very doubtful it was a hydrogen blast.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#12 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,095 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 06 January 2016 - 08:25 PM

Quite possibly. Its hard to believe even a perverted and degenerate regime like the NK's would actually suck out and consume the tremendous national resources - which are perpetually critically scarce to begin with - required to develop a full blown H-bomb program (not that they give a rat's patoot how much their populace suffers), so there is that. Building an atom bomb is one thing but it is a colossal step to move to H-bomb status in terms of the resources and technical know-how required.

OTOH its equally plausible the US does know and simply isn't willing at this stage to divulge what the truth is. They may have in intelligence source they don't wish to compromise etc. Difficult to read the situation; the NK regime is arguably the most secretive and oppressive state in modern history so its never easy separating the wheat from the chaff with regard to anything happening there internally. 

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 41,844 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 10:17 PM

Well, we do know the Dear Leader loves basketball.
  • sebberry and todd like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#14 North Shore

North Shore
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 10:57 PM

I've often wondered what would happen if, in an alternate universe, the South Koreans simply threw up their hands and said, "OK, guys, you win - have at 'er," and walked away from the border.. Would the North survive the culture shock of absorbing 50 million wealthy, well-educated, democracy-raised, capitalistic people. There's a great few pages in Viktor Belenko's ( Russian pilot who defected with his MiG 25 in 1976) when he goes to a supermarket in the USA, and realises that all he has been told about the USA is a pack of propaganda-driven lies...
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#15 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,095 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 06 January 2016 - 11:35 PM

Well, we do know the Dear Leader loves basketball.

Actually "Dear Leader" was his old man; the Great Fat Pudgy One currently goes by the grandiose moniker "Supreme Leader". Hard to keep score I know....

Just to add a super duper twist they have to maintain this ridiculous cult of personality and bestow upon each successive generation these laughably ludicrous titles because the one that actually makes sense - President - can never be used again since that honor was bestowed "for all eternity" upon the founder of the family dynasty, Kim il Sung, in spite of the fact that he, you know, croaked in 1994. 

Actually my favorite examples of this lunacy pertain to Kim Jong il, the Great Fat Pudgy One's father. Among his more amusing "titles" included the following tongue twisters:

Dear Leader, who is a perfect incarnation of the appearance that a leader should have - no I didn't make it up. Honest.

Sun of the Communist Future - oh yeah? And how did THAT work out?

World Leader of The 21st Century - Whew! Glad that panned out as well as "communism's future"....

....and my personal favorite

Highest Incarnation of the Revolutionary Comradeship - seriously? WTF does_that even mean.....?

Edited by AllseeingEye, 06 January 2016 - 11:41 PM.

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 41,844 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:03 AM

Haha, I love it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#17 Bingo

Bingo
  • 15,757 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 07:08 PM

Washington (CNN)The US and South Korean militaries started a massive joint annual exercise Monday, a drill that has drawn North Korean threats of nuclear retaliation.North Korea will "turn the stronghold of provocation into a heap of ashes through Korean-style pre-emptive nuclear strike" if the US and South Korea "show the slightest sign of aggression" during the drill, a spokesman for North Korea's military was quoted as saying by the country's state media.

http://www.cnn.com/2...cise/index.html

#18 todd

todd
  • 5,319 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 08:34 PM

8 SEPTEMBER 2016 • 8:53PM

Kim Jong-un bans sarcasm in North Korea fearing people will only agree with him 'ironically'

http://www.telegraph...ople-will-only/

That's a good idea.

#19 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,095 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:06 PM

It appears North Korea's Fat Man Child leader is up to his old tricks again, apparently testing their fifth nuke in spite of a UN resolution banning the NK's from conducting such a test: http://www.cnn.com/2...vity/index.html

#20 lanforod

lanforod
  • 6,114 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:52 PM

UN resolutions do not seem to have deterred NK in anything. Does anyone see any way out of that whole mess? I'm not sure which mess is worse, North Korea or Syria...

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.