North Korea

• Please log in to reply
481 replies to this topic

#441 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,374 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 15 June 2018 - 04:18 PM

Ok, I'll rephrase that as anti-trumpers.

http://www.cbc.ca/pl...y/1256572995762

Reporter asks Trump why he is defending Kim's human rights record, he responds "Because I don't want to see a nuclear weapon destroy you and your family"

You gotta admit, that's a pretty good response.

That's actually a terrible response.

That literally says, "If I don't defend Kim's human rights records he's going to bomb you and your family."

And that's defend mind you, not simply tolerate (with or without protest).

I suppose it's just hyperbole, but then everything seems to be - how do you separate what's real from what's exaggeration?  Or is that simply his style, to prevent analysis of his motives or strategy?

• Cassidy likes this

#442 RFS

RFS
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 04:24 PM

That's actually a terrible response.

That literally says, "If I don't defend Kim's human rights records he's going to bomb you and your family."

And that's defend mind you, not simply tolerate (with or without protest).

I suppose it's just hyperbole, but then everything seems to be - how do you separate what's real from what's exaggeration?  Or is that simply his style, to prevent analysis of his motives or strategy?

It is not America's job to be responsible for all tragedy and wrong doing in the world, it is much better to treat these nations with respect, communicate with them, show them that we have lots to offer them, and work towards peace and prosperity that will actually help them.  

Maybe if Trump had been president Libya, Syria, Iraq wouldn't be the quagmire they are

#443 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 498 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 04:26 PM

The problem with Trumps approach is that no concrete steps have actually been taken towards denuclearization, and North Korea has a lengthy history of not actually doing what they claim they will do (does this really need to be said).

I don't see an issue with Trump bending a bit (much like Obama did with Iran) but there's a ton of work to do and plenty that could go wrong. That Trump is so confident he's already done the world a favor is worrying; celebrating finishing a building before it even clears council and gets permits.

Edited by Casual Kev, 15 June 2018 - 04:27 PM.

• nerka likes this

#444 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 4,828 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 04:34 PM

Ok, I'll rephrase that as anti-trumpers.

http://www.cbc.ca/pl...y/1256572995762

Reporter asks Trump why he is defending Kim's human rights record, he responds "Because I don't want to see a nuclear weapon destroy you and your family"
 You gotta admit, that's a pretty good response.

And why didn't they ask Bush or Obama about Saudi arabia's or Iran's or even Israel's human rights records for that matter?  And I realize some may have, but generally not and not the more mainstream media.

They don't ask about Saudi Arabia's because of their petrodollar recycling and they don't ask about Israel's probably because Israeli politicians tend to call their critics anti-semites. I guess they don't bother with Iran's because Iran isn't an ally.

#445 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 04:49 PM

Trump is quickly dismantling the Western liberal democratic and economic world order built by the United States after 1945. This world order has led the world through an incredibly peaceful and prosperous period.

America is standing alone now. Not with allies. Alone. The historical evidence of the world's major powers not cooperating and standing alone in the economic and geopolitical spheres is not so good.

I didn't like the NK summit one bit. I wanted to puke seeing the "Leader of the Free World" saluting a NK military officer. Seeing the US flag and NK flag side by side as equals was disturbing.
  • Cassidy likes this

#446 RFS

RFS
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 05:05 PM

Trump is quickly dismantling the Western liberal democratic and economic world order built by the United States after 1945. This world order has led the world through an incredibly peaceful and prosperous period.

America is standing alone now. Not with allies. Alone. The historical evidence of the world's major powers not cooperating and standing alone in the economic and geopolitical spheres is not so good.

I didn't like the NK summit one bit. I wanted to puke seeing the "Leader of the Free World" saluting a NK military officer. Seeing the US flag and NK flag side by side as equals was disturbing.

Aren't you a little young to be a boomer? Trump is doing things differently thats the whole point, because the foreign policy of clinton and bush and obama actually hasn't worked all that well

#447 RFS

RFS
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 05:09 PM

They don't ask about Saudi Arabia's because of their petrodollar recycling and they don't ask about Israel's probably because Israeli politicians tend to call their critics anti-semites. I guess they don't bother with Iran's because Iran isn't an ally.

Im not sure that those are good excuses

#448 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,374 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 15 June 2018 - 05:10 PM

It is not America's job to be responsible for all tragedy and wrong doing in the world, it is much better to treat these nations with respect, communicate with them, show them that we have lots to offer them, and work towards peace and prosperity that will actually help them.  

Maybe if Trump had been president Libya, Syria, Iraq wouldn't be the quagmire they are

So "treating with respect" is "defending poor human rights record under threat of annihilation".

Perhaps Trump should have used your explanation instead in response to the question.

#449 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 05:12 PM

Aren't you a little young to be a boomer? Trump is doing things differently thats the whole point, because the foreign policy of clinton and bush and obama actually hasn't worked all that well

The last 25 years have been fantastic for the west. What the hell are you talking about?
  • Matt R., nerka and Cassidy like this

#450 RFS

RFS
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 05:15 PM

So "treating with respect" is "defending poor human rights record under threat of annihilation".

Perhaps Trump should have used your explanation instead in response to the question.

And how exactly would agression help the north korean people?

#451 RFS

RFS
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 05:17 PM

The last 25 years have been fantastic for the west. What the hell are you talking about?

We are talking about foreign policy no? Iraq war, Afghanistan war, refugee crisis, global terror, ISIS, total collapse of multiple middle eastern countries, and so on. Just a mess

#452 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,374 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 15 June 2018 - 05:31 PM

And how exactly would agression help the north korean people?

I don't think it would.

What does that have to do with Trump defending Kim's human rights records under threat of nuclear annihilation?

That was the response you thought was pretty good.

#453 RFS

RFS
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 05:33 PM

I don't think it would.

What does that have to do with Trump defending Kim's human rights records under threat of nuclear annihilation?

That was the response you thought was pretty good.

He is giving kim credibility and establishing trust/rapport/whatever so that there will be communication and a good deal can be made. Which is a good thing and far more important than the tut tutting of the sanctimonious media

#454 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 6,524 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 06:08 PM

How he can claim this type of comment was a joke?!?

https://www.google.c...-un-fox-friends

"During the interview, the subject of Trump’s recent Singapore summit with North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un arose. “He’s the head of a country. And I mean, he is the strong head,” Trump remarked. “Don’t let anyone think anything different. He speaks and his people sit up at attention. I want my people to do the same."
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#455 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,374 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 15 June 2018 - 06:09 PM

He is giving kim credibility and establishing trust/rapport/whatever so that there will be communication and a good deal can be made. Which is a good thing and far more important than the tut tutting of the sanctimonious media.

Truly, it's the Art of the Deal.

#456 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,374 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 15 June 2018 - 06:11 PM

How he can claim this type of comment was a joke?!?

https://www.google.c...-un-fox-friends

"During the interview, the subject of Trump’s recent Singapore summit with North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un arose. “He’s the head of a country. And I mean, he is the strong head,” Trump remarked. “Don’t let anyone think anything different. He speaks and his people sit up at attention. I want my people to do the same."

Not a joke as such, but just stroking Kim's ego in order to close that deal.  He doesn't mean it.  Or he does.  You can't know.  It's a strategy.

#457 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 06:16 PM

We are talking about foreign policy no? Iraq war, Afghanistan war, refugee crisis, global terror, ISIS, total collapse of multiple middle eastern countries, and so on. Just a mess

No I'm talking about the alliance of Western liberal democracies potentially crumbling or at least fracturing before our eyes.

The Middle East has been a mess since biblical times and will probably be a mess for the rest of our lives.

Iraq and Afghanistan were little blips compared to the previous several hundred years.
  • sdwright.vic and nerka like this

#458 RFS

RFS
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 07:02 PM

The Middle East has been a mess since biblical times and will probably be a mess for the rest of our lives.

Ah, gotcha, better just keep bombing them and sending millions of them into Europe then.

#459 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 50,423 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 08:06 PM

Americans and the West humanized Soviet atrocities in order to destabilize the Iron Curtain.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#460 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 4,828 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:01 PM

No I'm talking about the alliance of Western liberal democracies potentially crumbling or at least fracturing before our eyes.

not really, it's more because Zbigniew Brzezinski & Bernard Lewis wanted to simultaneously prevent any single country having real influence in that region, and also to cause problems for the Soviet Union because of its sizable muslim population.

Edited by amor de cosmos, 15 June 2018 - 10:02 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users