194 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:33 AM

Oak Bay home too modern for neighbours' tastes

By Jeff Bell, Times Colonist May 5, 2012

Oak Bay residents staged a rally Friday to protest a home they feel will be out of place in an established Monterey Avenue neighbourhood.

A modern house is going up in place of an aging traditional residence that stood on a lot in the 1000-block of Monterey. About a dozen residents gathered at the site and waved placards, while close to 50 people packed council chambers earlier in the week to voice their displeasure.

http://www.timescolo...2314/story.html

Really. One one hand, it's nice that the biggest thing people have to protest around here is the "look" of a brand new million-dollar home.

On the other hand, these folks need to really take a look at themselves and consider wtf they are thinking, and/or how they might spend their energy on more noble pursuits. Seriously.

They live in freaking Oak Bay for gosh sakes, they are extremely privileged.

Now run along and let this homeowner live their lives as they see fit, and go find something that will enrich the lives of others that maybe are not so well-off as you.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:40 AM

why wouldn't they include a rendering of the house in a story like this so we at least know that they're talking about? maybe there was one in the print version.

#3 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:43 AM

waaaaa, I'm going to sell my house in protest and use the hundreds of thousands to buy a new house, waaaaaaa.

First world problems :rolleyes:

Sorry, I'm having a moody morning :P

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:00 AM

NIMBYism at its worst.:mad:

#5 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:12 AM

NIMBYism at its worst.:mad:

Or its best, depending on how you look at it :P

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#6 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:42 AM

Video:
http://www.ctvvancou...ew-home-design/

...this south Oak Bay, instead of looking like a very British area, that we love, is going to look like New York.

#7 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:45 AM

Is there any way we could harness the nimby tears of rich oak bay residents? It's salt water so it wouldn't be good for much, but maybe hook it up to some sort of gray-water system to service toilets and such?
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#8 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:46 AM

^^That's what I love about Manhattan, the modernist single-family homes.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#9 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:58 AM

I'd like to know when the moment was that Victorians all decided to pretend that the city's architecture demonstrated a single homogeneous style, representing no more than five or ten years at most?

I take issue with the casual chopping down of leafy "city" trees, however. I always seem to be taking issue with that. Victorians are way too casual about it.

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:38 PM

Oak Bay residents can I suppose enact some type of bylaws that make it hard for developers to demolish homes, or to make new ones faux-heritage, but I wonder then how many homeowners trying to sell their homes/lots will be affected. After all, at some point, the property is sold or turned over to a new generation.

Careful what you wish for.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#11 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 12:42 PM

^Yes, Oak Bay should be known for its high-quality architecture, whether it's Rattenbury or modern. If you start mandating "traditional only" bylaws you end up with those cookie-cutter generic craftsman/edwardian mishmash houses that plague every neighourhood. Be careful what you wish for indeed.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#12 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,235 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:39 PM

It's what makes the area interesting. Architecture from all eras, custom built. It's what distinguishes it from a mono culture subdivision! sheesh... I would be livid if I were the property owner. it even looks like an interesting design.

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:44 PM

Would neighbours converge on an unkempt property waving placards?

No, they'd probably lodge complaints with city hall, but really, it's quite the mob that came together there to try to coerce the builder/owner into making some type of change. I guess that was their intent. Was it? My biggest problem with this is where the protest was aimed - at the new homeowner, rather than at politicians or municipal staff.

Not one of these protesters is suggesting the builder has done anything wrong, they just all agree that they don't like the style of home the owner has chosen.

#14 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:48 PM

These folks must have panic attacks when driving around places like Westhills or Kettle Creek Station...

#15 mc9

mc9
  • 155 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:53 PM

Upper Class first world problems, indeed!

#16 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:45 PM

Well the new owner of the home is sure going to have a lot of trouble trying to borrow a cup of sugar.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#17 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:26 PM

That home, that neighbourhood... the owner probably owns the sugar refinery :P

#18 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:09 PM

Pamela Madoff must be so proud of these people

#19 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:27 PM

That home, that neighbourhood... the owner probably owns the sugar refinery :P

That's funny you should say that. This guy comes from this family. He should buy that house just to make your post true.

Pamela Madoff must be so proud of these people

Actually, Pam likes modernism, hates the fake stuff.

#20 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:16 PM

...Actually, Pam likes modernism, hates the fake stuff.

And the designs for this house suggest it is no more than 3 floors tall at its highest point, so it's not too likely to block her views of the Sooke Hills as she drives around town. ;)

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users