Sabri's and the Naanwich

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 06:06 PM

So I am a regular at Sabri's. Love it. It is great when you are feeling lazy and want to eat now. Also i think that the quality of there food is great espeically since it is buffet.

However today was the first time having a Naanwich it is located two doors down from Sabri's but same owners. Anyways a Indian food Sandwich in Naan. It kicked serious butt we need one of these places downtown.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#2 bcradio

bcradio
  • 121 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 07:39 PM

Agreed on the Naanwich.. I'm on my second frequent buyer card as we speak. Very good eats, recommended highly from this end.

#3 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:18 AM

where is this located exactly?

#4 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:24 AM

The little strip mall across Burnside from Tillicum Mall. Also home to Mr Tubb's Ice Cream :)

It has a whole new look!

#5 Walter Moar

Walter Moar
  • 166 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:41 AM

I've always wanted to try the Naanwich, but I never make it out that way. Something to do soon!

#6 bcradio

bcradio
  • 121 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 12:23 PM

You won't regret it! Just had another one today! mmmmm...

#7 Willa

Willa
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 November 2006 - 11:24 PM

I shouldn't read this forum when I'm hungry! :-)

#8 mondurvic

mondurvic
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 08:00 PM

I think they want to franchise this concept and might well welcome someone wanting to open one downtown. Some of you entrepreneurial types should consider it.

J

#9 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 08:12 PM

I have been considering it but I can't shake the death by restaurant feeling I have from working in that industry in this city for a long time (not any more thank god!) I am sure it would kill if you had the right location downtown. Say Fort and Blanshard area or on Broad Street somewhere...

It has a whole new look!

#10 mondurvic

mondurvic
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 08:29 PM

The Jamaican place on Quadra near Hillside opened a branch on Fort a while back, and it's off to a very poor start. The owner is having trouble finding someone to staff it, and it's tacky and dirty looking. He's been advertising in Monday Magazine, and offering some specials, but I think it is likely to become available in short order. If he's got a lease, subletting without signing a new lease would make it a less risky venture.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Montreal Deli place on Government Street was looking for a new owner soon, too. Don't think you can make a living primarily on smoked meat sandwiches, especially if you have to offer two-for-one on the busiest nights of the week.

You-Know Japanese Fusion on Johnson, between Douglas and Blanshard, was removing letters from its sign today, and is either going or being replaced. That city block does not seem to do too well, though, and is somehow unappealing, almost industrial in feeling.

That little former pizza shop in the passageway to the Odeon between Johnson and Yates seems to be closed, too, but I don't think it's a good location. Wouldn't get walk-in-traffic because it's too easily overlooked.

How about the old Second Slice, on Douglas? They've moved a block or so down (up?) the street, and maybe the old location is available. Although why wasn't it good enough for them to stay in?

The former Middle Eastern place on Douglas would be great for a full-service Sabri's, a second branch of the original. Good size for it, too. Bet they could be interested in that . . .

#11 mondurvic

mondurvic
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 08:34 PM

I've really got to stop this, but now you've got my mind running . . .

On Yates, almost at Blanshard, right next to the new restaurant that replaced Syn (across from the Odeon) is a hairdressing place called Yellow. Used to be Foster's Eatery. Probably the best location of all for a Naanwich, and my guess is that the space will be available soon. The salon has been open a few months, and though I pass it daily, I never see anyone there. The owners have a couple of other successful enterprises elsewhere in town, but this one doesn't seem to be taking off.

#12 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 08:36 PM

Jamaican place on Fort is already closed.

The Montreal Deli on Government is packed during the day. Best croissants in that area of town.

The second slice place on Douglas has been taken over by the Souper Cafe.

It has a whole new look!

#13 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 08:37 PM

Glad to have your posts even if they are driving you crazy :)

It has a whole new look!

#14 mondurvic

mondurvic
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 08:42 PM

I'm galvanized by the desire to have a Sabri's close by . . .

#15 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 11:51 PM

I love Sabri's, best indian I've had in Victoria! Well besides private functions, and the brunch specials can't be beat!

#16 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 11:55 PM

You-Know Japanese Fusion on Johnson, between Douglas and Blanshard, was removing letters from its sign today, and is either going or being replaced. That city block does not seem to do too well, though, and is somehow unappealing, almost industrial in feeling.

In't that an area of town where the current government downsized a # of years ago and the business that had been prosperous looking have changed hands?

IMO that's not the only area that has had it's daytime market savaged...

#17 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 12:02 AM

The second slice place on Douglas has been taken over by the Souper Cafe.

So thay have 2 places on Douglas?

#18 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 07:28 AM

Yep one by the Subway near Johnson and one by Cityhall near Fisgard.

It has a whole new look!

#19 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 06:47 PM

Sabri gets some international recognition in an American fast food trade journal. I'll definitely have to try this out one day (before it gets franchised, goes national and goes downhill!)

Some outlets already discovered the vast variety of interesting concoctions naan can generate. In Victoria, British Columbia, for instance, an enterprising chef named Omar Baig has been drawing raves for his Sabri Naanwich, a single fast-food outlet offering both familiar and exotic East Indian sandwiches inside a host of naan carriers, including such breeds as potato, ginger, spicy cheese, and onion. Naanwich fillings range from lamb stews to chicken tikka masala to Philly Cheesesteak to garden mixed vegetables.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#20 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 06:28 AM

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Naanwich is coming to Douglas Street. It will be replacing the Souper Cafe!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users